• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160630_154516_(resized).jpg
20160630_150802_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I have been working on this spirit of 76 for a long time. I finally have all the damage someone had done to it in the past fixed. Everything works now except it will not score 500 points. I have the schematics for it. I can understand most of it but i dont understand how the 500 point deal works. I would really appreciate some advice. If i get the 500 points working i think i have it done. I hope.

#2 7 years ago

I don't have the schematics but normally you're going to have a 500 point relay and a score motor switch that will activate it.

Can you post a picture of that segment of the schematic?

#3 7 years ago

Does the score motor turn when it should score the 500? What usually happens is the 500 point relay closes, running the score motor, and then the 100pt relay is pulsed through another switch on the 500pt relay and a switch on the score motor (which closes 5 times during the score motor cycle)

#4 7 years ago

If this is set up in the usual way for a GTB game, there should be a 500 point relay in the bottom board. This relay will have at least the following three switches:

- One switch will energize the 500 pt relay itself (AKA the relay lock-in switch).
- One switch will make the score motor run.
- One switch will connect a motor 1A switch to the 100 pt relay in the head.

A 500 pt target or rollover on the playfield will be wired up to energize the 500 pt relay. When the 500 pt relay pulls in, it locks itself on and the score motor starts to run. As the motor runs, a set of lobes on the bottom cam pulse the motor 1A switch five times. These 1A switch pulses are connected to the 100 pt relay in the head through the closed switch on the 500 pt relay. Each time the 100 pt relay pulses, it steps the score unit in the 100 pt position.

When the score motor gets to the end of this cycle, a switch at motor position 2B opens which shuts off the power to the lock-in switch, releasing the 500 pt relay and terminating the scoring sequence.

- TimMe

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Does the score motor turn when it should score the 500? What usually happens is the 500 point relay closes, running the score motor, and then the 100pt relay is pulsed through another switch on the 500pt relay and a switch on the score motor (which closes 5 times during the score motor cycle)

Yup. This is everything to check.

Also manually pull in the 500 point relay and see what happens.

My basic thoughts would be-

is 500 point relay pulling in? If not, why? Broken wire, or perhaps the 500 point relay coil is busted?
If it is pulling in and points aren't scoring, why? misadjusted or dirty switches in the 500 point relay? Or the same issue within the score motor?

#6 7 years ago

And to follow up on Levi's suggestion, if manually activating the 500-point relay works, see what switches are in series to power the relay, and check those. Alligator clips will be your friend here. Here is what I found in my Super Soccer that was exhibiting similar behavior (and is same era game as yours):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-super-soccer-500-point-scoring-issue

#7 7 years ago

Ok when i activate a 500 roll over switch the 500 point/add bonus relay pulls in then it scores 100. I dont have a sheet over the score motor. So you think the score motor switch is 1A for pulsing the 100 5 times?

#8 7 years ago

Does the score motor rotate?

#9 7 years ago

When i activate the 500 point roll over switch the 500 point relay pulls in the score motor rotates 1/3 of a turn and it scores 100 points

#10 7 years ago

Hi pinballman3
the Score-Motor makes a turn - 1/3 of a revolution - question: How long does the 500-point-Relay stay pulled ? Does it stays pulled (almost) till the Score-Motor stops ? OR does it drop-out early ? Greetings Rolf

#11 7 years ago

I assume also the drop targets aren't scoring 500 points?

#12 7 years ago

Rolf the 500 relay stays pulled almost until the motor stops. EMsInKC the drop targets do not score 500. They score 100. Here is that segment of the schematic i think.

#13 7 years ago

Here you go

20160630_150802_(resized).jpg20160630_150802_(resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

Can't see the relays needed, they're cut off on the bottom of the page.

I'm flying blind here, but I think 1A also works on score reel reset. I think you've got a switch, like Tim said, on the 500 point relay which is either dirty or is not making so the connection to the 100 point relay in the head isn't being made. It should be pulsed five times via motor 1A to score 500 points. If it is holding until near the end of the motor cycle then the lock in switch is good. So assuming I'm right that 1A works on the reset, the reset is working ok, and you can't score 500 points, that's where the problem is. A switch on the 500 point relay.

I assume also this problem occurs on all four players? If not, then it's going to be a player unit issue.

#15 7 years ago

I have checked and cleaned those switches on the 500 relay. They look good. Here is a shot of schematic below that part i posted.

20160630_154516_(resized).jpg20160630_154516_(resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

Sounds like the switch in the score motor is open...it's only activating once when it should activate 5 times.

Should be pretty easy to spot - just look at which stack of score motor switches are activated 5 times in each 1/3 revolution of the score motor. Closely inspect these switches. Hopefully you still have the list of switches inside the cabinet diagram (sometimes this card is missing- it should be stapled right over the score motor on the inside of the cabinet).

#17 7 years ago

Yeah my list of switches is missing missing. Will do what you said and report back

#18 7 years ago

The five-pulse switches on every GTB score motor are always at motor position 1A. There is also sometimes a five-pulse switch at motor position 4A, but this is only used during game reset.

Check the switch stack at motor position 1A and ensure that all the switches are clean and gapped correctly. Also check for any missing lifters on the switches on this stack. The lifter is the little plastic round thing on the end of a switch blade that gets pushed back by the switch blade next to it in the stack. If the lifter has fallen off, then you'll only get one (very long) switch pulse instead of five.

Even with a missing lifter on the motor 1A stack, the score reset may still be working. This will happen when there is more than one switch in the stack at 1A, and an inner switch (closer to the cam) is used for reset pulses while an outer switch (missing the lifter) is used for game scoring.

- TimMe

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

The five-pulse switches on every GTB score motor are always at motor position 1A. There is also sometimes a five-pulse switch at motor position 4A, but this is only used during game reset.
Check the switch stack at motor position 1A and ensure that all the switches are clean and gapped correctly. Also check for any missing lifters on the switches on this stack. The lifter is the little plastic round thing on the end of a switch blade that gets pushed back by the switch blade next to it in the stack. If the lifter has fallen off, then you'll only get one (very long) switch pulse instead of five.
Even with a missing lifter on the motor 1A stack, the score reset may still be working. This will happen when there is more than one switch in the stack at 1A, and an inner switch (closer to the cam) is used for reset pulses while an outer switch (missing the lifter) is used for game scoring.
- TimMe

Thanks, Tim, without the schematic on these I'm never quite sure if the pulse score motor switch performs both game play and reset.

#20 7 years ago

You're welcome! As a general rule on GTB EMs, these two functions are handled by two different switches on the motor 1A switch stack. That's because the reset circuits need to have power even when the game is tilted or in game over. In contrast, the game play circuits are always shut off by tilt and game over.

- TimMe

#21 7 years ago

Ok. I have checked all the switches and wires on the 500 point relay. I have checked all of the switches and wires on the score motor 1 stack. All look good and look to be gapped good. No loose wires. All of the lifters are there. Any ideas on what or how i can test to figure out why it is not scoring the 500 when it should. It is just scoring 100.

#22 7 years ago

I just noticed that it does the exact same thing if i hit 100 or 500 roll over switches or drop target. 500 relay pulls in and motor spins and scores 100 points.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Ok. I have checked all the switches and wires on the 500 point relay. I have checked all of the switches and wires on the score motor 1 stack. All look good and look to be gapped good. No loose wires. All of the lifters are there. Any ideas on what or how i can test to figure out why it is not scoring the 500 when it should. It is just scoring 100.

You said the motor only does a third of a turn earlier, during that 1/3 turn does the stack that switch 1A is on move five times?

#24 7 years ago

Yes the stack that 1A is in moves 5 times every 1/3 turn. It does the exact same thing hitting a 100 roll over switch as it does hitting a 500 roll over switch. I would think something is suppose to happen different for the 500. I just dont know. It is going to drive me crazy.

#25 7 years ago

Should the 500 relay pull in for 100 point roll over switch?

#26 7 years ago

Thanks for your help so far. I Just watched a video on the net. There spirit of 76 does not pull in the 500 point/add bonus relay when the ball rolls over the 100 point switch. The reason i know this is because there machine does not increase bonus when they score the 100 points. My machine does. Does anyone know what would make the 100 point roll over switches make the 500 point/add bonus relay pull in when it should not?

#27 7 years ago

This is a great clue as to what might be wrong with your game. There are five rollover stars on the playfield, and each one is lit when A, B, C, D, and E are made. These rollover stars score 100 when out or 500 and bonus when lit.

On the sequence bank (mounted on the underside of the playfield) there are five relays that register when A, B, C, D, and E are made, and these relays control the scoring of the rollover stars. There is a make-break switch on each of these relays that selects whether its rollover star switch will connect directly to the 100 pt relay, or connect to the D relay (500 pt & add bonus).

If one or more of these make-break switches is mashed together so that all three switch blades are touching each other, then there will be a circuit fault that directly connects the D relay to the 100 pt relay. Any time the D relay is energized, the 100 pt relay will also be energized, and vice versa. So, all 100 pt playfield switches and all 500 pt switches would always score 100 points (and, presumably, a bonus advance).

If this is the problem, then the fix is to examine the switches on the 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B, and 5B relays in the sequence bank. Look for a make-break switch where the contacts of all three switch blades are touching at the same time. This may be happening on more than one of the relays. You'll need to loosen the two wing-nuts at each end of the sequence bank frame and drop it out of the end brackets to examine the switches on these relays.

Also, note that the above problem can also occur if the sequence bank has gotten loose in the end brackets. So, be sure that the bank frame is seated properly in the end brackets after you check the make-break switches. Loosen the two wing-nuts at each end of the bank frame, push the frame as far forward into the bracket slots as possible, and tighten the wing-nuts very tight.

- TimMe

#28 7 years ago

TimMe for President!

#29 7 years ago

Thanks, Ok might be getting somewhere. Found out the coil had been removed for the B relay. Will have to order it. Will report back when i get it in.

1 week later
#30 7 years ago

Ok got the coil in for the B relay. The problem is i can not find the wire for it. I can see where one lug solders on to the wire that runs across there. I can see where one was soldered there before. I can not find a wire for the other lug. Does anyone have a pic of the coil hookup on the reset bank. I have taken the wires undone and have still not been able to find a wire. I thought maybe they cut it off right at the wiring harness. That would make no sense.

#31 7 years ago

It will be an orange+red wire coming directly from the rollover switches for "B". The wire may have indeed been cut off. I agree it makes no sense, but unfortunately people do all kinds of bad things to the internal workings of pinball machines.

If you can't find the orange+red wire in the harness near the coil, as a work-around you could run a jumper from the closest "B" rollover switch.

- TimMe.

#32 7 years ago

Well i found the wire. It was soldered to the A coil on the solid wire side. I studied it real close and realized it made no sense for that wire to be soldered there. Moved to the missing spot and all works. I guess somebody just thought might as well solder it somewhere. Thanks for all of the help. I will mark this resolved. TimMe you get my vote for president also.

#33 7 years ago

I really appreciate the votes of confidence, but I'm going to stick with pinball!

The orange+red wire attachment was actually a pretty good hack, because it made the B rollover switches fire the series coil and score points even though the B trip coil was missing. Not as good as putting in a new B coil, however - it's good that you fixed it properly! Did the 500 pt / 100 pt issue clear up, too?

- TimMe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spirit-of-76-will-not-score-500-points and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.