Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DaMoib
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6C7B6940-D920-4151-98F4-4A8812BFD8E4 (resized).jpeg
DB8809A7-8DC6-402E-8129-F743A68128E0 (resized).jpeg
E7F5AABB-509E-4E12-8E5B-9C4F33736E40 (resized).jpeg
0483337C-BA6B-43CA-8A32-BBD2EDDC9256 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail_IMG_2090.jpg
mindblown.gif
IMG_1742 (resized).jpg
IMG_1742 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

Hello. I’m in the process of rebuilding this machine and the PU wiper was broken. I bought a similar unit thinking to use the wiper off it. What a great idea - I’ve got stuff happening that no pin should ever be subjected to! I have a schematic and can figure it out...eventually, but if anyone would be willing to post some clear pictures showing wire colors attached to theirs, I would really appreciate it (mine are all bleached out and illegible for the most part). Finally, does anybody know what numbers correspond to which pads (rivets) according to the schematic numbering? Thanks in advance!

#2 4 months ago

Are you talking specifically about the 20 wires attached to the base plate that the wiper plate rides on?

IMG_1742 (resized).jpg
#3 4 months ago

Yes! Also the wiper itself so I can get some idea of what is jumpering what, where, and when.

#4 4 months ago

Here's a shot with some of the rivet positions numbered. Wiper is on position 0 (1st ball, player 1). The first four radial rows (1st ball, player 1,2,3,4) have 5 rivets each, subsequent rows have 4 rivets. Rows 0-19 are for the game (4 players, 5 balls each), rows 20 and 21 are for reset sequencing.

You are only replacing the wiper? The baseplate is original?

IMG_1742 (resized).jpg
#5 4 months ago

I did not get into the details of this thread, but Kerry Imming did a good writeup of the player unit (for this game) a few years back. Might be helpful to you - it was for me.
https://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/Player%20Unit%20Troubleshooting.pdf

#6 4 months ago

Thank you very much. The numbering of the pads felt arbitrary to me looking at the schematic. In fairness, I was being attacked by a deadly ferocious cat the entire time I had to work on it last night.

#7 4 months ago

Thanks for the link to Kerry's work. I've printed it and looks to be outstanding. I found it the other day, but my firewall wanted to download it and I was leery of doing that.

#8 4 months ago

The thing about steppers is that they're really quite logical, but it's easy to get lost in the various interconnecting circuits.
Trying to start at zero and figure it out from there only works if:

A) you know where zero is, and
B) you can see wire colors

mindblown.gif
#9 4 months ago

Sorry - yes, the base plate is fine. The wiper plate was snapped in two. The end with three shoes was still mounted, but the other end was missing entirely. My replacement wiper three shoe end matches the original, but the other end with two shoes is most certainly not riding the correct rivets.

thumbnail_IMG_2090.jpg
#10 4 months ago

When I took the picture of my wiper, I noticed that it was scuffed up... like it was hitting something. After investigating, I see that there is a clearance issue between the wiper and the head door channel - when the head panel is leaning back on its supports AND the wiper is in an up-down orientation, the wiper is in contact with the door channel. If the panel supports are misaligned or you lean on the panel in any way, I could see that wiper snapping.

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinhead0101:

My replacement wiper three shoe end matches the original, but the other end with two shoes is most certainly not riding the correct rivets.[quoted image]

Beware that gears, contact disks and wipers can vary from game to game. Parts catalogs have handy tables in the back that identify the part numbers for each of the components for all the recent games. Spirit of '76 for example uses a B-12566 wiper on the Player Unit. The same Player Unit wiper was used on other 4 player games around the same time including Big Indian, Magnotron, Far Out, Super Soccer, Fast Draw, 300, Royal Flush, Surf Champ, Canada Dry, Target Alpha, Bronco, Jungle Queen and Jet Spin. If you can't find a used one I think PBR can make one, or John's Jukes has some NOS too.

/Mark

#12 4 months ago

Can you add a pic of your replacement wiper?

#13 4 months ago

Thanks for all the help and advice! Life got in the way of fun for a bit (there ought to be a law regarding that...)

Anyway, WITH YOUR HELP, I was able to determine the proper rivets for the 2 shoe end of the wiper. I made a template of plexiglas and marked the wiper. Pressed the sleeve out that was in the way and pressed sleeves back in where they belong. I used epoxy to set them in place and also to strengthen the old hole. In the morning, I’ll put the shoes in, solder the jumper in place, and reassemble.
With any luck, I’ll be on to the typical finding of misaligned switches, etc.
A really big thanks again, it’s great to have a resource to turn to when needed.

6C7B6940-D920-4151-98F4-4A8812BFD8E4 (resized).jpeg0483337C-BA6B-43CA-8A32-BBD2EDDC9256 (resized).jpegE7F5AABB-509E-4E12-8E5B-9C4F33736E40 (resized).jpegDB8809A7-8DC6-402E-8129-F743A68128E0 (resized).jpeg
#14 4 months ago

Nice! You may have invented a new product - The Multi-Rotor!

Check to see if you have that rotor clearance issue... you've put too much time into that to lose it when you're just replacing a bulb in the head.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 34.99
Cleaner
Pinball Pro
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 229.99
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 19.99
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside