Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0-adding-replays_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello all, i have been messing with this pin for a while. It is a spirirt of 76. After taking the bottom board out and adjusting it seemed like every switch. Someone got inside this thing with a big screwdriver and some pliers i think. I mean it was bad. Ok enough on that. I have got the game where it now will kinda start. Here is what it does. I put scores on all players. I turn the main switch on hit the replay button it goes through the complete start up sequance resets bonus to 0 resets all scores to 0. But when it should kick the ball out into the shooter lane it does not. If i manually kick the ball over and ring up some bonus and drain the ball it will count the bounus but not kick the ball out. If i hold down on the ball to make the switch keep making contact the score motor will just spin and spin. Any ideas on this. Thanks

#2 8 years ago

If you manually actuate the O relay (or whatever the ball return relay on that game is), does it kick the ball out?

#3 8 years ago

The best way to find the problem would be to look on the schematic to see what switches and relays send power to the outhole solenoid (coil). Some quick items to check would be the outhole switch to make sure it's clean and adjusted properly. Also, check the ball count unit/player unit to make sure it is fully reset when you start a game... Do you have a schematic for the machine?

#4 8 years ago

If i manually make the ball drain switch it makes ball return relay pull in but it does not shoot ball over. If i activate the ball return relay manually it still does not kick ball over.

#5 8 years ago

So would this mean there is a switch not making on the outhole relay maybe?

#6 8 years ago

I do have a schematic for the game

#7 8 years ago

Find the outhole solenoid on the schematic and work your way back to see which switches control power to that solenoid. You'll first need to check if each switch in the outhole circuit is clean and adjusted properly. If you have problems finding the switches, just post a photo of the circuit and we can point out the switches in question...

#8 8 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I got the ball to kick out of the outhole into the shooter lane. It was a switch at 4C on score motor. Well let me correct that. It tries. It is not strong enough it seems. Is there an adjustment on the kick out unit? I see the one piece slides inside the other. If i hold my finger on it there is hardly any pressure on it. The coil is kicking hard it just is like the pieces slides to much.

#9 8 years ago

Ok i now have the ball not kicking across to the shooter lane fixed. The bracket was bent real bad. I took it all apart and straightened it back out. I am now trying to get it where it will ring up credits from the coin switch. Both coin switches will make the score motor turn but does not ring up a credit.

#10 8 years ago

You can either start from the coin switches or the credit unit advance solenoid. I usually start at the credit unit advance solenoid and work back through the switches using the schematic to see what switches send power to that solenoid. It's probably just a dirty or mis-adjusted switch. Also, check the Jones plugs in the backbox to see if they are seated properly...

#11 8 years ago

Hi pbm3
lets look in the schema at E-10 -> the "Coil on Add Replay Unit" - close to this is a Make-and-Brake-Switch on W-2nd-Chute-Relay -> Score-Motor-Switches and a Adj. Unit - "Position 2 plays per coin" means: NO connection through this Adj.-Switch.
I assume Your W-Relay does not pull-in - question: does it pull-in ? If it does: The W-Relay has ONLY ONE Make-and-Brake-Switch, Type "C" - I read in the list of coils: W-Relay: 2A, 1B, 1C means one Normally-open-, one Normally-closed-, one Make-and-Break-Switch.

What happens when You manually press the anchor-plate / armature of W-Relay ? Greetings Rolf

#12 8 years ago

The W relay does pull in. I will check the switches on it right now. Thanks

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Ok i now have the ball not kicking across to the shooter lane fixed. The bracket was bent real bad. I took it all apart and straightened it back out. I am now trying to get it where it will ring up credits from the coin switch. Both coin switches will make the score motor turn but does not ring up a credit.

Make sure the max credit switch on the credit unit is closed.

#14 8 years ago

Here's a good post by Dirt Flipper about this. IF it's not a switch issue in the path somewhere and simply a mechanical one where the mechanism struggles to get it across to the shooter-lane, here are some things to consider:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-gottlieb-ball-return-not-kicking-ball-out-to-shooter-one-cause

I had this issue with my rebuilt Atlantis where the coil was fine, the path was fine, but the mechanism was just too worn out (too much play, maybe a slightly bent bracket or worn spring -- I never could tell for sure) and the ball kicker would take 6-7 tries sometimes to get the ball across.

I finally just bought one off another collector who was parting out a game and swapped the whole thing out. Works 100% now.

#15 8 years ago

Hi pbm3
do NOT fumble around on the Score-Motor-Switches 2C, 4C, 4B. Your problem is in the connecting wires. In Switzerland it is half an hour before midnight - I go to sleep. I hope to read from You in about 7 to 8 hours - we might have to use a jumper-wire to narrow-down the problem. Gerretings Rolf

#16 8 years ago

Thanks I wont be able to get back on this until at least monday. I was out of town most of today.

#17 8 years ago

Hello Rolf, what do i need to do to start trouble shooting not adding credits?

#18 8 years ago

Hi pbm3
in post-12 You write: "The W-Relay does pull in" - is this still true ? (we need the W-Relay pullinhg for "to add credits onto the replay counter".

Look at my snippet of schema: "A" is whre during play the Score-Drums and Specials make the "Add-Relay-Unit-Coil" fire.

The long green line shows the circuitry when You throw-in a coin into "2nd Coin-Chute". -> The w-Relay pulls-in and let the Score-Motor run - question: In Your pin ? Yes or No. Each turn the Score-Motor-Switch-1A pulses 5 times - This switch is good in Your pin - this switch is used allover in the pin.
There is an Adj-Unit - You can choose 2, 3, 4, 5 plays per coin - Can You set this to position-"5" ?
When adjusted "other" - some Score-Motor-Switches suppres some of the 5 impulses.
The pulling W-Relay throws a Make-and-Brake-Switch (Gottlieb does not want the Knocker sound WHEN ADDING CREDITS).

I like to use a jumper-wire - my "orange line" shows jumpering after the pulsed switch SCM-1A <-> Coil on Replay-Unit. This is complicated / hard to do.
A "much easier place to clip-on a gator-clip (jumper-wire)" is "at a switch on E-Relay" or "at a switch on O-Relay"
I do NOT want these relays for pulling - I do not want these switches for closing / opening !!! I just looked-up in the schema for a nice / easy accessible place to clip-on an jumper-wire (gator-clip).

My long "green line" is wire-color-black-mingled-with-white. AAA: Look on E-Relay for an Normally-Open-Switch with soldered-on: wire-color-black-mingled-with-white / wire-color-green-mingled-with-red - clip-on the jumper-wire at: wire-color-black-mingled-with-white. The other end of the jumper-wire clip-on at the replay-unit-Step-UP coil: at wire-color-yellow-mingled-with-green.
Throw-in a coin -> what happens ?
As an alternative - BBB: Look on O-Relay for an Normally-Open-Switch with soldered-on: wire-color-black-mingled-with-white / wire-color-yellow-mingled-with-green - clip-on the jumper-wire at: wire-color-black-mingled-with-white. The other end of the jumper-wire clip-on at the replay-unit-Step-UP coil: at wire-color-yellow-mingled-with-green.
Throw-in a coin -> what happens ?

(((pbm3 - I am frustrated - the schema says "at coil on Replay-Unit": wire-color-yellow-mingled-with-green AND the schema says "at Switch on O-Relay": wire-color-yellow-mingled-with-green)))

Somewhere in that (my green) long connection SCM-1A <-> coil on Replay-Unit: is a fault.
Greetings Rolf
P.S.: When Your testing gives replays -> we move the jumper-wire at the next place -> the to the next place -> all of a sudden: NO replays - the fault is no longer jumpered.

0-adding-replays_(resized).jpg0-adding-replays_(resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

The w relay does pull in then the motor spins but adds no credit to reel. Ok rolf i did what you said and put the adjustment unit to 5. When i insert a quarter it rings up 5 games. It will not ring up any games if this is in 2 or 3 or 4.

#20 7 years ago

Also it adds the replays fine in game mode like at 65000 and 83000

#21 7 years ago

Hi pbm3
Great - The Adj.-Switch set in position "5" - and the Unit works !
Want to live with this ? - maybe put a note in the pin: "Attention: 25-Cent Coin Chute ONLY works in position "5 added plays per 25-Cent-Coin" (?).

If You want to fix the fault: Well, I personally do not like to work on Gottlieb Relay-Switches - and I hate to work on Gottlieb-Interlock-Relays (AX-Type) Switches - and I hate to work on Gottlieb Score-Motor-Switches ...

It is up to You - look at JPG, post-18: "Top green line" works. The "green line just below": It does NOT work --- NOT EVEN when the Adj-Switch is set in position-4.
So either (or both): Adj-Switch is no good (pos-2, -3, -4) and / or in the green line (more to the left): The connection to "Score-Motor-Switch-2C" is no good and/or Score-Motor-Switch-2C is no good and/ or Connection from SCM-2C to "Make-and-Brake-Switch on W-Relay" is no good. (((And maybe SCM-4C and/or SCM-4-B are faulty "also")))

When you fumble around Score-Motor-Switches: Be careful / write down on which SCM-Switch You fumbled around - and in what direction You have bent the blades. OK - looking for "broken-off" wires is not "fumbling at blades". Greetings Rolf

#22 7 years ago

Ok i got the game where it works correctly ringing up games after quarter is inserted. I have it set to 2 plays per quarter now. It was the motor switch at 2C. Now on to the next couple of things. It is like the coils for the drop target reset are not being pulsed long enough. It does not push the drop targets up. It is not that hard to reset them by hand. They are not in a bind is what i mean. The second thing is the 10 point score does not work. You hit the first 10 points it does not score the chime rings and that coil for chime stays activated and will not drop unless you turn game off.

#23 7 years ago

Hi pbm3
great, You fixed the "Coin-Problem".
10-point score problem: A "simple" relay should not stay pulling for more then one to two minutes - turn-off the pin -> let it cool-off -> then do another test etc.

Question: Does the 10-point-RELAY pull-in and stay pulling ?

The way the pins are built: 10-point-RELAY and 10-point-Score-Drum work hand in hand. (You hit a 10-point-target -> 10-Point-RELAY Gets "initial current" -> RELAY pulls-in and by this closes its "Self-Hold-Switch mounted on the RELAY". The RELAY also closes another Switch -> current flows to the Score-Drum -> Score-Drum-Coil pulls-in -> at the end of a loooong way to travel: Its plunger opens a End-of-Stroke-Switch (EOS-Sw) --- this EOS-Sw is in the "Self-Hold-Circuitry of the RELAY -> RELAY looses current and let go -> and therefore cuts "feeding the Score-Drum-Coil".

Second Question: Does the "Coil on the Score-Drum" pull ? Answer "Yes" -> look if the travelling plunger opens the EOS-Sw. Answer "No" -> Check the Normally-Open Switches (closing when relay is pulling) at the 10 point-RELAY.

Problem "Resetting Drop down Targets" - I do not know the pin (I do have a schema to look at). Questions: Do the targets reset at Game-Over ? IF "NO" -> Does it make a difference (successful / non successful resetting) when the targets are resetted at Start-up a new game ? (compared to/with "changing to next player / next ball" ?)
(((At start-up a "Switch on S-Start-Relay" does the activating - during play a "Switch on P-Add-Player-Unit-Relay" does the activating - and thats the only difference I see in the schema.

Maybe (maybe) the "Self-Hold-Switch on P-Relay" is no-good -> look at the P-Relay -> from one side of the coil a short wire runs to a Switch mounted on the relay: THIS is the Self-Hold-Switch -> securely closing ? contact-points oxidated ? wires soldered-on ? (carefully pull a bit on the wires). Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spirit-of-76-not-kicking-ball-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.