You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Trans1 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi all I need help with my spirit of 76 pin - here's the low down - I was playing the machine and noticed that the pop bumper lights were intermittently going off then suddenly ALL the play-field lights are now off. I checked and found the 10amp fuse is OK but there is no power as far as I can ascertain going through the fuse holder OR the Hold relay which isn't energizing at all. I think it might be something to do with the transformer but I'm a little rusty on testing it can someone help me, how should I proceed? Thanks. (The previous owner replaced a transformer and wired it up amateurishly but the contacts are solid) What else should I look for?

Trans1 (resized).jpgTrans1 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Do you still have lights on in the backbox? If so, the transformer is good. It sounds like just a bad connection somewhere. I'd start by cleaning and reseating the Jones Plugs. Especially those two long ones that go from the playfield to the back of the bottom board. Give those plugs a careful visual exam to look for loose wires.

Also, make sure the fuse is good electrically, not just visually, and check the fuse holder as well.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from ZappaMan:

OR the Hold relay which isn't energizing at all

If the Hold relay (R) doesn't energize (even momentarily) when you start a new game, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires,
especially the switch on the Start relay (S)
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies..The back box lights are working fine so that means the transformer is OK? So, Ill try the jumper lead with the Hold relay and start relay tomorrow..Thanks.

#5 3 years ago

The lights are all fed from the same source on the transformer.

#6 3 years ago

Yes, the transformer is OK.

When you say "hold relay," which relay do you mean? This game has both a hold relay (R), and a tilt hold relay (H).

It is the switch on the tilt hold relay (H) that will kill the PF lights when that relay is dropped out. So, be sure to check the switch on the H relay to confirm that it is making good contact when the relay is energized. Also, check the wiring at the solder joints for that switch.

Note that if you push the H relay in by hand, and the PF lights come on, then you don't have a problem with your PF lighting circuit.

The H relay should pull in and stay on all the time when you start a new game. It only drops out when the game is tilted. If the H relay will not energize when you start a new game, there is an issue with the tilt-hold circuit. This includes the possibility that the H relay coil itself has burned out.

- TimMe

#7 3 years ago

I'm a dimwit..I should know better I've been collecting and selling Pinball machines since 1997 but they have been all (bar a few) SS, but that's no excuse, I'm not a newbie at the Pinball game world which makes it worse...(I'm just rusty with EMs) Anyway I figured out I've been looking at the wrong relay - it's on the opposite side marked R so, here's the scenario again - I turn on the machine and the back lights go on, there is no tilt light coming on by the way, I press credit and the machine resets fine, still no play-field lights or tilt light, the tilt -hold relay has engaged and is buzzing like hell (I recently replaced the solenoid too) The Hold relay DOES lock in but, there is still no play-field lights on. The machine will play perfectly well but with no play-field lights or bonus point scoring. So what should I do?

#8 3 years ago

Check this switch on the Tilt Hold relay (H), and its connectivity to the 10 amp fuse.

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9 3 years ago

Hooray - That worked! thanks I just needed to adjust the gap in the The tilt hold relay switch (which wasn't closing properly) and clean it and presto all working again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spirit-of-76-no-playfield-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.