Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FastDraw.jpg
SO76 backglass.jpg
SO76 playfield.jpg
SO76 FRONT.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi...I have played "Spirit of 76" but not "Fast draw". I notice though when I look at pics of

"Fast draw" the playfield is similar...Am I right in this? Thanks..

#2 10 years ago

Fast draw is a much better game than 76. I like both, but if was an either or choice, give me the Fast Draw all day long. 76 has that "death shot" onto the kick out in the center for your dbl bns or spcl. I like the look of 76, but FD is the winner.

Brian Lenker
Madison hts Mi

#3 10 years ago

I'd even rank Jungle Queen/Princess another notch up.

#4 10 years ago

I agree with illawarra92, I was gonna say the layout is like JP/JQ, but I like the ruleset better on those two. Plus yes, not center kickout death shot. Steve Fury should chime in, as I know he has one and really loves it.

#5 10 years ago

Fast Draw/Quick Draw is my favorite. More mileage out of the western theme as well.

#6 10 years ago

Here is my SO76.

I like the way it plays and so does my wife. Yes, the Center Kickout Hole is tough but it is a direct skill shot unlike Fast Draw's 2 Kickout Holes which is mainly luck to get it in, which is fine too. I like both but lean towards Fast Draw by a little bit as the better pin because of the resetting Black Horseshoe Targets.

I do think however SO76 is the best looking and playing Independence Day theme pin out there as it does offer a 4x Bonus on the last ball which Fast Draw does not, so it will most likely stay in my collection as I have enough western themes as it is (Klondike, Sure Shot, Prospector) and would like to keep my pin themes as mixed as possible.

My SO76 was in bad shape as well and I brought it back from heading to a dumpster so it has had a lot of time and effort (not to mention money) of mine put into it which basically makes it a keeper for me.

Bottom line is both are great pins all the way around in my book, same as the 2 player versions.

Ken

SO76 FRONT.jpgSO76 FRONT.jpg
SO76 playfield.jpgSO76 playfield.jpg
SO76 backglass.jpgSO76 backglass.jpg

#7 10 years ago

I probably have played FD +30 years ago but I don't remember it. I have the SO76 so my opinion is biased especially because I don't know the ruleset of the FD.

I find the potential suicide center hole a valuable asset in the SO76. The hole only contains tangible value if the A-E sequence is made and/or all drop targets are down so its insignificant during most games. Trying for a hole shot without those conditions met isn't very smart.

Note the center hole has 3 features to light. Double bonus or the Extra ball or the Special. Gottlieb score motors are divided into 3 sections. It takes 3 home positions for the rotor to turn a full 360 degrees. Which home position the motor is in determines which of the 3 hole lights are lit.

Another words, one home position the Extra ball is lit. The next home position lights Double bonus. Next home position lights the Special. That sounds rather insignificant but it is extremely significant the way the game is laid out.

For example suppose you are on the last ball and you're trailing your opponents by a large margin. Last ball means everyone gets double bonus. But you are very lucky and you get all 10 drop targets down which means if you get the ball in the center hole while it's lit then you get quadruple bonus.... but the hole's double bonus light isn't lit even though you've dropped all targets. Why? Because the score motor isn't in the right position for it to light.

There's an upper and lower half of the playfield and the center hole's the middle.
On the lower half, the only way to move the score motor and light the double/quadruple bonus feature is a center hole shot since the drop targets are down. Hmm. Not very smart. Best bet is to get the ball to the upper half and roll over a lit star. That will also move the score motor.

Your heart is pounding, your concentration is high and you get the ball into the upper half and it rolls over a lit star and you see the holes' "DOUBLE BONUS" light lit. !!!YES!!! But the ball rolls over another lit star on the way down which moves the score motor again, turning off the Double bonus.

Frustrated anger instantly replaces your joy.

You flip the ball and miss the passage leading to the upper playfield and the ball bounces between the dropped target rubbers as you flip it again, sailing across to the upper playfield, roll over a couple stars and the "DOUBLE BONUS" is lit once again.

Your frustration is instantly replaced by anticipation and your heart begins to pound. Concentration is focused like a laser on the center hole. Nothing else matters.

The ball drops down one of the flipper lanes and you make the shot. It goes off to the side a little toward the lit center hole and scurries toward the drain, but you miraculously save it. You set up the shot and barely miss it again but glad it hasn't drained yet. You set up another shot.... and miss. And another one. And another one.

You're getting frustrated again. You -know- you're going to frikkin' loose.

One more shot and BINGO! The ball lands in the hole and your satisfaction is unrivaled as the quad bonus is tallied. You get the 1st high score replay. Then the 2nd high score replay as you succeed the unlikely comeback and beat the pants off your opponents. A high five for sure.

It's really nice when you get the A-E sequence made along with all drop targets down. That means the center hole will cycle between Double/quad bonus, Extra ball and Special. Also the extra ball does not reset the machine. It's simply served back to the shooting lane (unlike my Space Mission which resets) . Which means you can shoot for a center hole to win another extra ball again.

Shooting for the center hole is always potential suicide. You'll drain it much of the time, which increases your emotional value if your shot is successful- and deep frustration if it drains.

I find that description 100% accurate for what I personally experience.
However that scenario only happens once in a while. I find the SO76 a fair playing game probably on par with most others much of the time. I play my Space Mission a bit more than the SO76.

But the SO76 holds that reserved potential for certified thrill I don't think many other EM's have.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that potential in the FD playfield photo below (Thanks IPDB for the photo):

FastDraw.jpgFastDraw.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I am not discounting the play on the FD- a lot of experienced folks love it. If I were in the market and one came available I'd grab it.

#8 10 years ago

I have both and love both. I would go with Fast Draw as you can get the center drop to reset. It is hard though. Love the theme and artwork on SO76. Cant go wrong either way. I have a larger EM collection and they both get about the same play from my pinhead friends.

#9 10 years ago

Nice collection you have Hugo and go BUCKS!...OH......IO

#10 10 years ago

I have both and love both but I have a little preference for Fast Draw.

Even if Spirit of 76 is technically superior to Fast Draw, even if the playfield are almost similar, in my opinion, FD is faster than SO76.

I like 2x bonus, 4x bonus and extra ball on SO76 and I love the speed of the ball and black horseshoe standing target on FD.

Backglass artwok on SO76 is very colored, I like American flag like a lot of French people !

My dream would be to have a mix of both :

The technical of SO76 and standing targets and speed of FD !

Andrew

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spirit-of-76-like-fast-draw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.