(Topic ID: 333044)

Spirit of 76 - Close, but motor keeps running.

By Daddy-Oh

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Daddy-Oh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I got this machine for Christmas. First one, and it worked before they delivered it. AX and BX relays were smashed. I got all of that fixed (I think). Motor continuously runs. When I press the start game button all of the reels reset and all of the lights seems correct. The coin unit advances appropriately. I cannot figure out what needs to happen next. Any ideas? So close to being fixed. I am familiar with the electronics, but this has me a little confused.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Daddy-Oh:

I cannot figure out what needs to happen next

Exactly how far (numbered or lettered step and sub step) is it getting in this startup sequence from the Spirit of 76 manual?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 1 year ago

Hi HowardR. It is kind of hard to tell, and recall from yesterday what all happens, because the motor starts as soon as it is turned on. I had an idea to take a video of all of the relays in action. That way I can step through what is actually happening, and in what order. I do know that when I press the start button it resets the score reels and drop target banks etc. Also, when I press it again, the coin unit increments properly. Let me get that video after work today and maybe it will make more sense. My main problem in understanding this, I guess, is that it is constantly in motion, once powered on.

I really do appreciate your response. I will have more info tonight.

#4 1 year ago

Motor runs when turned on? Stuck coin switch on the door?

#5 1 year ago

Is the bonus unit counted down all the way? I think it should be at 1000 to start a game.

#6 1 year ago

I agree about checking the bonus unit. It’s rare that a gottlieb machine will start the player out with the first bonus level. Williams and Bally machines almost always do start out on the first bonus level. On the video I watched spirit of 76 does not.

#7 1 year ago

Motor runs when turned on? Stuck coin switch on the door?

I will check this first. I did mess with the coin door. I kind of assumed the coin door didn't matter that much. Y'all are awesome.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Is the bonus unit counted down all the way? I think it should be at 1000 to start a game.

I will have to find the bonus unit. That never entered my mind. Will check.

#9 1 year ago

I just lowered the playfield and let it run. To my surprise, pop bumpers working, flippers working, rollovers etc. Never goes passed ball one and drop targets don't score, but stuff is actually working. The ball kickout keeps going incessantly, along with motor running. Coin switches seem ok. I am about to try to do a slomo video of relays as I power on. (my video tech is from about 2005) I hope maybe this helps in narrowing down my issue.

#10 1 year ago

I could really use a couple of close up AX relay pictures. the wires I have are VERY faded. I need to make sure that I put it back together properly. That is the only thing I really messed with.

#11 1 year ago

If the outhole kicker keeps firing then check the outhole switch being stuck closed. Adjust switch for proper gap.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Daddy-Oh:

I could really use a couple of close up AX relay pictures. the wires I have are VERY faded. I need to make sure that I put it back together properly. That is the only thing I really messed with.

Somebody else asked for those the other day here in another thread. I posted them there.

Oh wait, is was your thread!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-good-photo-of-spirit-of-76-ax-relay-wires-please

If the score motor is running, first thing to do is to go into the back box and while the motor is running, manually advance the player unit by hand until it stops. The game is usually looking for a particular position on that player unit when a game starts.

If you were to manually advance some of the numbers by hand and fire the game up, does the game try to reset them during the score motor running? If not, I'd start pulling each and every one of those score reels out and start the cleaning process(there are a few youtube vids and Pinside forum posts on how to do this, look them up). It's a chore, but it's also a big stumbling block for the score motor resetting the game. Plus, once you clean them and adjust them properly, they'll be good for a very long time!

What you're describing is exactly what my So76 was doing when I got it. I went through every single set of switch contacts, all the spinning disc units, all the score reels, and the rotary switches in the backbox(don't remember their exact name) cleaning, filing, and adjusting the obviously incorrect things. After all the cleaning, I then went through all switch stacks everywhere and fixed or double- and triple-verified their states, Normally Open, Normally Closed, Make-Break, or whatever. It helps MASSIVELY to study the schematic and recognize what things look like in real life and their schematic representations.

I can tell you that the AX relay ended up being the final key to all my game's troubles.....BUT, I'm glad I did everything else first because now I'm confident that not only is everything else in perfect shape, but it'll be reliable from here on out. I'm glad I unravelled the knot from the wrong end, so to speak. There was no better feeling that when everything finally fired up and worked as it is supposed to!

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

I agree about checking the bonus unit

Haha -I suggested that here because it came to mind as you suggested to check that and helped me fix my Bally Old Chicago problem. It was the issue with a wire broken on a bonus solenoid. Thanks!

I figured Gottlieb games may act similar if the bonus isn't working right. Sounds like this is a different issue though...
I have a SO76 also and since 2005 when I got it dialed in it hasn't had any problems! Once these games are gone through they are tanks!

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Somebody else asked for those the other day here in another thread. I posted them there.

I just saw that post with the pics. You are AWESOME. I just started on Pinside forums and don't have things set up so it is easy to use, yet. Once I verify that wiring on the AX I will manually actuate it to verify proper operation.

In response to your other suggestions, I posted this last night. It may shed more light on a path to follow, maybe.

I just lowered the playfield and let it run. To my surprise, pop bumpers working, flippers working, rollovers etc. Never goes passed ball one and drop targets don't score, but stuff is actually working. The ball kickout keeps going incessantly, along with motor running. Coin switches seem ok.

#15 1 year ago

Just to add, do not let that score motor keep running for long periods. OK for adjusting and testing things for a short period, but not playing a game.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Drain1:

Just to add, do not let that score motor keep running for long periods. OK for adjusting and testing things for a short period, but not playing a game.

That is good to know. Now that I think about that, it makes perfect sense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spirit-of-76-close-but-motor-keeps-running and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.