Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Sea_Wolf
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flippersaurus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hey all, I have this Spirit of '76 that the chimes are not working correctly during game play. They all work fine if I manually actuate the relays in the back box. Relays L,M,N. If I hit any of those with the game on I get a good strong chime. But during a game I hardly get any chimes. And when they do sound, it's often weak and even the wrong one sometimes. I'll get the 10 point when it should be 1000. It's all very inconsistent and the cross-talk has me scratching my head. All of the scoring seems fine. Bonus countdown scores correctly. But the 1000 chime rarely goes off. Any ideas?

#5 2 years ago

Thanks for the response guys. The chimes work correctly when I manually activate each one by hand. So I think they connectors are in the right spots. What's weird is the L,M,N relays are working fine for scoring. They don't miss a beat. But the chimes don't go off. Maybe I just need to clean them more. I've been using a flexstone. The gaps seem okay.

Is there another path to the chimes firing other than L,M,N going off? They're pretty quiet for 500 points and for bonus countdown.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:Cleaning the chime coil sleeves and plungers usually solves this problem.

I rebuilt the chime unit. New coils, sleeves, grommets, beer seal strip, washers. The rebuild did not effect the behavior of the chimes.

Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Might be worth a shot to switch the spade connectors on the 10 and 100 point chime coils to at least eliminate that possibility.

I'll give that a try. I'm thinking it's poor connectivity maybe. I don't think there's any reason that the relay would fire for scoring but not activate the chime. Sometimes you have more than one circuit to do the same thing. Like light an insert, or ring a chime. So there could be an open switch I'm not aware of. But I don't know about the chimes. I thought they always have a direct circuit path. I'll clean the jones plugs and clean or replace the spade connectors.

Thank for the input. I'll keep you posted.

#10 2 years ago

Thank you guys so much for helping out. I was so focused on the 1000 chime that I didn't check the whole unit well enough. When I manually hit the 1000 point relay I was getting the 1000 chime. BUT, I was also getting the 10 chime sometimes as well. I didn't hear this at first. Thanks to Sea_Wolf for urging me to double check the connectors. And jrpinball for bringing it up in the first place. The 10 point chime coil has two push on spade connectors. They were reversed when I got the game. I reassembled the unit going by the pictures I took rather than the schematic. I only checked the drawing for the 1000 chime coil wire color at first. When I went back and checked them all against the drawing, I found it. Then lesson I'm taking is basics, basics, basics...double check the basics.

Thanks again for your time!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flippersaurus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spirit-of-76-chimes-being-flakey?tu=Flippersaurus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.