Spinners, targets and saucers, oh my! Advice please!

(Topic ID: 238299)

Spinners, targets and saucers, oh my! Advice please!

By indi123

11 days ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by indi123
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 days ago

This is my first post so I hope I'm in the right place. I grew up with and adore Hokus Pokus and have recently decided to give into the longtime desire to get a machine in my adult life. I would LOOVE to find another Hokus Pokus, but I'm thinking that that's not terribly likely so am looking for some advice about what to look at - games, features, even whether or not to try for EM or go with SS.
What I LIKED about the machine:
real chimes
ripping spinners
number of targets to work at hitting, including the "up the left" and "up the middle" shot
straight-forward, symmetric play field without obnoxious flashing, electronic sounds, etc.
What I DISLIKED about the machine:
It seemed fussy and broke down frequently (so it seemed to me as a kid, anyway).
The chimes, while I liked them, were very loud.

Initially I thought I'd look for an EM machine as similar to Hokus pokus as I could reasonably find, but maybe what I really could use is a nudge from some folks who know more than me in terms of what to look at (games, types, etc.). I just recently played a Mata Hari and enjoyed that, but did not enjoy the theme of the art/visuals. Also recently went to an arcade and disliked most of what was there (a lot of SS fast-moving, flashing, strobing, triple flipper stuff that drove me nuts - ugh! Who thought of this triple flipper thing? lol)

Anyway. If anyone has any ideas, thoughts, advice, I would love to hear from you!
Thanks in advance.
indi

#2 11 days ago

You could try adding a WTB ad in the marketplace and list your location if you want to try to find someone willing to sell a Hokus Pokus

https://pinside.com/pinball/market

You could also try attending a pinball show in your region and see what games you might like. Most shows have a variety of games to choose from, including various EM games, early solid state games, classic 80s-90s era, and the more modern and flashier games. If you share your general location, folks in your area may be able to suggest shows, clubs, or locations to visit.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=2019_Pinball_Show_Schedule

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/diary/

#3 11 days ago

Also add Hokus Pokus to your profile wishlist and you will see any Hokus Pokus for sale ads as you read pinside forums.

I think finding a hokus pokus will be easier than you think.

#4 10 days ago

Thank you for the suggestions - currently working on them. Any additional suggestions are always most welcome! Thanks!
indi

#5 9 days ago

And a Hokus Pokus just came up for sale near me (in MD ) today on Facebook. They are out there!

#6 8 days ago

Dang. So close yet so far. Of course, if the right conditions were present (and at the right price), it still might be worth exploring. What are they asking (or do you have a link)?

#8 8 days ago

thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Littleton, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Atlanta, GA
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 93.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside