Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jfranci
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Spinner Weight (resized).jpg
Spinner (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi all,

My spinner has never worked great; it never counted up points very well when spun quickly. I've cleaned everything including the contact with the sanding file sold at PBR but the results were the same. The schematic states the contact should be open at rest. Spinning the spinner moves the contact arm up and down, making contact on the downstroke, causing points to accumulate.

At rest, the spinner arm is at the bottom of the stroke (see photo). When I pulled up the playfield, I noticed the spinner weight was situated above the contacts. This made no sense to me as when the ball spins the spinner, it move the arm UP, moving the upper contact away from the lower contact. My EM has been badly repaired before my owning it, so I wonder if the weight should really be BELOW the lower arm. To me, this makes more sense as when the spinner moves, it pulls the arm/weight up, forcing the lower arm to make contact with the upper arm. I've made this change, but fast spins do not register points at all until the spinner slows down significantly.

When the weight is located above the upper arm (as found when purchased), it slightly rests on the upper contact arm causing the spinner to not sit perpendicular to the playfield. I've moved the weight further up, but this resulted in accumulating no points when spinning it because it's moving UP and away from the lower contact.

Can someone please tell me where the spinner weight is supposed to be located - below the lower arm (as shown) or above the upper arm (as it sat when I purchased the EM)? Any pointers to get this to count up correctly would also be appreciated!

Thank you!!
Jerry.

Spinner (resized).jpgSpinner Weight (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

bend the short blade of the switch up a little so it doesn't make contact in the resting position

#3 1 year ago

note.... if the pf is lifted up it will not show the correct spinner position. needs to be checked with the pf flat

#4 1 year ago

Thanks boilerman - you're right - the pf is in almost the fully upright position during the photo - I pulled it back a bit with one hand so the contacts would separate with gravity and that can be seen in the photo. If the contacts are allowed to touch, the 10s score reel coil will buzz loudly as it is continuously demanding a 10s increment. The diagram supports the fact that the contact must be open at rest, which it is.

My problem is that this EM has had a lot of bad maintenance performed and I don't know whether the weight belongs where shown in the photo OR above the contacts - just below the pf. When I got it, the weight was above, but there were other hacks as well and above doesn't make sense to me; hence my question.

Hope that makes sense.

#5 1 year ago

I have a Surfer. The weight was above the contacts as you describe. I don't know if that was by design or not. It seemed strange to me also. I moved it to below the contacts and got much better results.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks very much noobee! I’ll try adjusting the position to see if I can get better results.

#7 1 year ago

My weight is also above. Mine counts the same as yours. It is pretty sporadic and doesn't count the 10's very smoothly. I think the 100's are the same, but I would have to double-check. I think I'll move my weight to the bottom as well and see if that improves anything.

#8 1 year ago

Thanks @fifty @noobee Based on 3 of us having the same original setting, we can assume the correct position is ABOVE. I've been trying it below but I find it worse than the original behavior. I'm going to revert to the original placement and try to fine tune there - this was the design. That being said, the design was not perfect and i guess adds to the charm...LOL

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 200.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 29.99
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 35.95
Playfield - Other
MicksPinball
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside