Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by exflexer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Is there a way to have the spinner move faster? My RBION's spinner only gives two or three rotations after a really fast shot through the loops. I can't ever get a Ripley's letter on the Asia mode because of this.

#2 11 years ago

Is it binding on anything? Like the plastic, post or screw next to or under it. Is the connecting rod centered in the leaf switch?

#3 11 years ago

A tiny drop of oil on each side where the wire axle goes into the hole.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I did this to my spinner machines, picked up some electrical lube from Radio Shack, it comes in a pen style container that has a small needle like dispenser, boy what a difference. This lube is made for electrical applications and will not goop up and says its resistant to attracting grime. Awesome stuff. Dabbed a drop at each wire axle point and they spin noticeably better.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

LTG said:

I did this to my spinner machines, picked up some electrical lube from Radio Shack, it comes in a pen style container that has a small needle like dispenser, boy what a difference. This lube is made for electrical applications and will not goop up and says its resistant to attracting grime. Awesome stuff. Dabbed a drop at each wire axle point and they spin noticeably better.

And doing this seems to make the wire axles less likely to score and break off.

#6 11 years ago

MBI Instrument grease is what I use. Bally & Williams sold it in the day for EM mechs and it worked great on spinners as well.

I await a Hank's video showing him greasing/oiling/WD40'ing all the solenoids on a pin. Surprised he hasn't done one yet.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I await a Hank's video showing him greasing/oiling/WD40'ing all the solenoids on a pin. Surprised he hasn't done one yet.

I sincerely hope not. I've seen pins done like that. That crap is like cancer. You'll never get it all out of there. It keeps coming back.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I sincerely hope not. I've seen pins done like that. That crap is like cancer. You'll never get it all out of there. It keeps coming back.

I think everyone who watches the Hank's video series realizes they are comedy over the top BS. Watch his Flame Polishing ramps video and I'm sure you 'll agree.

#9 11 years ago

If the rod on the spinner switch is too springy, it can drastically slow down the spinner. I would hold the switch down with your hand and spin the spinner and see if it spins way better. If so start by investigating the switch. If not, you could look into lube. I would suggest the powder lubes. They don't gum up as much over time.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from PinSpinner:

Is there a way to have the spinner move faster? My RBION's spinner only gives two or three rotations after a really fast shot through the loops. I can't ever get a Ripley's letter on the Asia mode because of this.

Check the height relative to the table also. My Tommy right spinner was way slower than the left. I discovered the right side was lower (closer to the PF) than the right. When I raised it equal to the right side it spins equal now with a ball hit. So with the glass off spin them first with your finger. If the same revolutions approximately, then check the height to the PF surface.

#11 11 years ago

Run the spinner through its range of motion by hand, feeling for any binding points.

For example, on "my" family guy, the spinner was contacting the spinner frame when it was at the top of its swing sometimes. A little re-bending of the frame, a couple of drops of oil on the spinner points, and it spins like lightning now.

Gottlieb spinners tend to have too-taught springs on them which kill the action. Stretch 'em out a bit, and they spin like WMS spinners.

Finally, make sure that the spinner isn't bent in a V shape (as viewed from above). That puts extra friction on the spinner points and will kill the action (and eventually, the spinner as well).

1 week later
#12 11 years ago

I second the radio shack teflon lube. Really makes a difference. Also a good idea to check the wires for any crud. I used some 800 grit sandpaper and made them smooth before adding the lube.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from bintzknocker:

I second the radio shack teflon lube. Really makes a difference. Also a good idea to check the wires for any crud. I used some 800 grit sandpaper and made them smooth before adding the lube.

800? I was thinking 1,500 or even higher? Any grain leftover could result in friction...thinking of even using some steel wool after and a mild polishing compound! What do you think?

O.T.-Beyonce rocked at the Superbowl halftime show btw. Perfect! No flaws other than missing landing on the star floor target in the begining. I noticed because of my superb attention to detail ability...seriously though...she and her team were perfect! Unreal!

#14 11 years ago

You can use super lube (teflon) or 3 in 1 on spinners. Avoid using anything else as it will gum up. You can always use lighter fluid to clean the ends. I would avoid sanding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spinner-speed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.