myster-game.png
P3061024.png
P3061025.png
P3061019.png
P3061023.png
P3061016.png
P3061020.png
P3061017.png
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

A proof of concept experiment. A switch is triggered and the state is read by the computer which selects the appropriate action, in this case a relay will be fired. It sends a signal to the relay board which then opens or closes the relay, providing 5v power to a LED light.

It was critical to show that I could read the state of a switch and immediately act on it, by either opening or closing a relay (which could be connected to a light, or a solenoid, or some other cool things that we will talk about later).

This is the basis of everything else that we are building on. And it worked perfectly.

#52 10 years ago

There should be a timed "mime is money" mode.

Love this idea, and I look forward to following your updates.

#53 10 years ago

I hope it's not going to be in Dubly?!

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from Pooman2084:

I hope it's not going to be in Dubly?!

Oh it's totally in Dubly.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from csupp:

There should be a timed "mime is money" mode.
Love this idea, and I look forward to following your updates.

I can tell you have watched all the extended stuff that is on the DVD. We are not sure how much of that to include, aren't sure how many people will actually get that.

#56 10 years ago

Here's a Spinal Tap update!

This is video of me testing the code for the lamp driver "board". The outgoing signals are currently being intercepted by a lamp simulator that I built since the game is by no means ready to start running wires. Excuse my clacking keyboard and the fact that I am typing 1 handed. Also I seem to mumble a lot.

1 week later
#57 10 years ago

For anyone who is interested, here is a teaser of how we are coming along with the play field art.

playfield teaser release.pngplayfield teaser release.png

#58 10 years ago

brilliant!! I'd hope you can find many more FG tables that are completely done, or reproduce from scratch so you can put out many of these Spinal Tap machines, would love to see that.

somewhere in youtube-land a guy turned a zizzle into a metalocalypse-dethklok machine, a lot of work that might have been much better spend on something full size with more gameplay features, would love to see that too, where the whole backglass could be a large 4:3 ratio LCD monitor for scoring, animations etc. probably less expensive than things that'd normally go into a backbox, small computer with a repurpose-hacked keyboard incorporated?

#59 10 years ago

Surely the numbers on the amp should go all the way to 11?

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

surely yes, and the elves MUST dwarf stonehenge! "whats wrong with being sexist?"
theres sooo many cool funny audio clips that could be injected into the gameplay

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Devin:

For anyone who is interested, here is a teaser of how we are coming along with the play field art.

playfield teaser release.png 974 KB

Looks nice Devin but one can't help but notice that the name and picture of the band have been removed from the artwork. Was this due to licensing issues, just by choice or am I just jumping the gun here as I do notice your post states "here is a teaser of how we are coming along with the play field art"? Odd to have a Spinal Tap themed machine with no pictures of the band or the logo!

Good luck with the project!

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

It's not done yet... And it takes a while to get to 11!

Rest assured, there will be a large 11 in each of those center lights.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Looks nice Devin but one can't help but notice that the name and picture of the band have been removed from the artwork. Was this due to licensing issues, just by choice or am I just jumping the gun here as I do notice your post states "here is a teaser of how we are coming along with the play field art"? Odd to have a Spinal Tap themed machine with no pictures of the band or the logo!
Good luck with the project!

You are only looking at about 30% of the table, and you are seeing none of the plastics.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from Devin:

You are only looking at about 30% of the table, and you are seeing none of the plastics.

Thanks for the clarification and, again, good luck! Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition!

#65 10 years ago

Well love it or hate it, here it is.

SpinalTapFinal.pngSpinalTapFinal.png

#66 10 years ago

But at this point both Sears and K-Mart stores are refusing to carry it. C'mon. You guys put a greased naked woman on all fours , with a dog collar around her neck, and a leash, and a man's arm, extended out to here, holding on to the leash, and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it......you don't find that sexist? You don't find that offensive?

#67 10 years ago

What's wrong with being sexy?

#68 10 years ago

The worst part is when this is done nobody will be able to play it, touch it or even look at it.

#69 10 years ago

None more black

6 months later
#70 9 years ago

We haven't posted up any news here in like forever, but...

IMG_8811.jpegIMG_8811.jpeg

IMG_3456.jpegIMG_3456.jpeg

IMG_2667.JPGIMG_2667.JPG

IMG_3997.jpegIMG_3997.jpeg

IMG_6801.jpegIMG_6801.jpeg

IMG_2623.jpegIMG_2623.jpeg

And finally...

http://www.infarc.com/WINTER2014.m4v

#71 9 years ago

Live....direct from hell!!! Where've you been? You forget your gum on the table didn't you!?

Have you experienced any cost overruns? Perhaps you didn't realize how much it would cost to dress the band as animals?

Were you ever able to prize the rent out of the local Hebrews?

Just remember when it comes to rules....as long as there's sex and drugs, we can do without the rock and roll!

#72 9 years ago

If they made a legit Spinal Tap machine for sale I would buy it so fast. Way better than KISS IMO.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Live....direct from hell!!! Where've you been? You forget your gum on the table didn't you!?
Have you experienced any cost overruns? Perhaps you didn't realize how much it would cost to dress the band as animals?
Were you ever able to prize the rent out of the local Hebrews?
Just remember when it comes to rules....as long as there's sex and drugs, we can do without the rock and roll!

No, no, of course not.

It'll be done any day now, is what we always say. Well, we don't literally say that. We don't say it at all. We don't literally mean it. We don't believe it either, but I think our message should be clear anyway.

We're anything but far behind.

4 months later
#74 9 years ago

Eugene, great to see you at the state championship. Please post pics/vids of the progress so far!

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Eugene, great to see you at the state championship.

Ooooh......sore subject for him right now

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Ooooh......sore subject for him right now

I'm sure it was a sore subject for everyone but the winner. Speaking of, who won? It was down to Jason vs Steve when I left, I think.

11 months later
#77 8 years ago

I got to play an early version of this game at TPF and have wondered if progress is still being made. Anyone know anything?

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Devin:

Peter Gabriel was playing on our sound system while I was doing the testing. That was recorded in the arcade... we live in the 80s there.
We got the measurements by measuring the play field and where all the holes are.
I can send you the final photoshop template, if you PM me your email address. I am told that all of the FGs are slightly different so YMMV.

because Peter Gabriel is fawking awesome, that's why.

To bad you can't make the ball lock be one of those pods that had complications. You could have it do a fake out multiball where it doesn't release the ball until it's over.

1 week later
#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Devin:

A friend of mine (actually the guy that first showed me the movie, way back in 1984) suggested that we harvest the strobe and put a green filter on it, so that we have have a "green flash of light" when a drummer goes down.

I am still hoping that will be part of the game. Don't forget about my *other* idea, of having the back banner change to PUPPET SHOW, with spinal tap under, in small letters! It would look great in Dubly!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spinal-tap-custom-being-created-by-1984-arcade-in-missouri/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.