DSC05145 (resized).JPG
DSC05147 (resized).JPG
DSC05146 (resized).JPG
DSC05144 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
Ship ahoy (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Grew up with a Gottlieb pinball in my dads basement(Playmates) still have it but it's showing its age. Not to long ago I bought a Gottlieb Ship Ahoy pinball machine. Overall in very good condition I think. I just recently have started having a problem with the spin-n-spot target. The wire connector that activates the switch keeps on sliding in between the metal roll bar cage thingy and the shaft that the target rides on. This jambs the spinning target in the switch on, all I've been able to do is turn it off quick and then slide the glass back and free it by hand. I've tried adjusting how the whole thing mounts to the two post's on either side with no results if anything it got worse. I want to get the connecting wire away from the side, but I realize it will be more exposed to getting hit by the ball. I don't really want to modify or construct something because it will look out of place. Is there anyone out there that has had this type of issue before? I'm sure this spin-n-spot gets beat up pretty good because of how the connecting wire is exposed to getting hit by the ball.

I do want to mention that the target was installed backwards when I got it... the skull/cross bones were upside down or spun around. This kinda makes me think there was a problem with this in the past before I got it. But I don't really see any difference to the bends on the shaft one side to the other. I'm confused.

When I get a chance I'll upload some pictures of it, topside resting, jammed, and the underside of the switch.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Can you download this pic and point where the problem(s) are? You can splice in some more wire and tuck it out of the way.

Ship ahoy (resized).jpgShip ahoy (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Do these pics help? There is also a small rubber ring on the metal shaft ( hard to see in the pics) that keeps the activation wire from sliding up into the bracket.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#4 6 years ago

It looks like the metal wire on your spinner has been bent a few times.

Also, I'm going by memory here, but isn't that clear washer supposed to be on the other side of the switch wire?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

It looks like the metal wire on your spinner has been bent a few times.
Also, I'm going by memory here, but isn't that clear washer supposed to be on the other side of the switch wire?

There should be a clear washer on both sides of the switch wire. The one he has keeps the switch wire from moving to where it won't be activated by spinning. The one near the target keeps the switch wire from getting hit by the target.

#6 6 years ago

There should be plastic washers on either side of the activation wire to keep it from moving. I've come across a few spinners with just one that have worked fine, so it's just a matter of fine tuning. I've also found that keeping the loop on the end of the activation wire perpendicular to the spinner wire arm, it'll will work wonders on getting maximum spin--I see yours is a bit on an angle and may be the reason it likes to "climb" and jam. You may have to bend the loop to get it to sit just so...just make sure the loop on the other end (attached to the switch) isn't bent out of adjustment when you do this.

Those plastic washers are available from Pinball Resource (GTB-20407, $0.25ea), and I use a drop of Super Lube Synthetic Grease/Oil on the spinner arms where they contact the frame for max spin. Getting a spinner's arms adjusted "just so" is almost an art. And a lost art at that.

#7 6 years ago

I didn't know there was supposed to be a plastic washer, that may be all I need. Your washer looks more like a o-ring. And what kind of grease you using, I have been wanting to put a dab on those rotating parts. Here are some pictures of how mine is setup, I didn't take one of it jammed though. Two topside two underside.

DSC05144 (resized).JPGDSC05144 (resized).JPG

DSC05146 (resized).JPGDSC05146 (resized).JPG

DSC05147 (resized).JPGDSC05147 (resized).JPG

DSC05145 (resized).JPGDSC05145 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

http://www.pbresource.com/spinner.html

Here they are on pbr. I don't know what year this game is, so I cant tell you the specific one. But it looks like one is for up to 1970, and the other one is after 1970.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from amxman:

what kind of grease you using, I have been wanting to put a dab on those rotating parts.

No lubrication on any part of the spinner.

#10 6 years ago

Ok, I ordered a couple of those washers. Looks like that should fix it, thank you for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spin-n-spot-jambing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.