20210811_104136 (resized).jpg
Spin a card trip bank a (resized).jpg
Spin a card trip bank b (resized).jpg
BB359209-B9F0-4827-A22C-BBBB6CC1CB23 (resized).jpeg
77DCC269-9542-42BA-8406-4B5BE0EEE50E (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Spin A Card 1 pt relay (resized).jpg
4C72D919-585D-40BF-BA43-DB75E2D7CDA9 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redcloud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hey everyone! Totally new to this site and to pinball repair. Just acquired a Gottlieb Spin A Card and have a few issues. When first powering up I was able to play after the ball drained once, before it drained nothing worked. Now, after replacing a few bulbs, it just keeps buzzing after it sends the ball to the plunger. All score reels seem to work and the machine will play but the 1 point relay seems stuck? Just getting started on bringing this game back to optimum playing performance so any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Redcloud

#4 2 years ago

HowardR,thank you for the welcome and thank you for the response! Please forgive my ignorance as I am as green as you get. I collect and repair antique clocks so figured….I can bring one of these back to life….lol. Could you please guide me to where I might find this “stuck playfield switch”?
Thanks for your help,
Bill

#5 2 years ago

Thank you for the reply, Fulltilt! Love the avatar! One of my favorite movies and actor! The buzzing seems to be coming from the lower right of the back of the head. The coil plunger directly underneath the bell engages but will not drop. The bell is in the upper right corner of my pic.
Thank you very much for the response!
Bill

4C72D919-585D-40BF-BA43-DB75E2D7CDA9 (resized).jpeg4C72D919-585D-40BF-BA43-DB75E2D7CDA9 (resized).jpeg
#6 2 years ago

Can you guys please point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this Spin A Card? I can’t track down this stuck switch…..it’s driving me nuts!! I don’t have a schematic and I’m as new to this as you can get. HELP

#11 2 years ago

Thanks for the info hjh632 and MarkG! I can’t wait to get home from work to investigate. It is very nice of you both to chime in….it gives me somewhere to start. The game worked, mostly, when I brought it home and tried it,….then I started changing burnt bulbs and the trouble began.I may have unknowingly tweaked a switch?
I’ll keep you posted.
ps….hjh632….I can’t find anywhere on the play field that scores just one point…..the lowest increment that I can tell is ten points. Does the ones have something to do with the “match”function?
Many thanks gentlemen!

#13 2 years ago

Thanks, MarkG and hjh632! You guys were right! The switch that was stuck on was the behind the rebound rubber directly below the 4! No more buzzing! Awesome!! Now to work out a few more issues. One yellow pop bumper is not working and the 500 point center target resets my score and makes the flippers inoperative momentarily. The 500 point chute at the top does the same thing….resets the score to zero. The score also resets after every ball.
Very much appreciate all of the help, Mark!
Thanks

#15 2 years ago

hjh632….it does give out one point when you hit a couple of the rebound bumpers. Nowhere on the PF does it say one point awarded. Thanks again for the tips. So Hearts and Spades is very similar?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Glad that worked - I was working off a sister machine, Hearts and Spades, hence the confusion on the 1 point/10points. But stuck on scoring often leads back to a stuck on switch no matter how many points.

Any idea why it keeps resetting the score after every ball?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What's the state of these 4 switches on the Reset (DB) relay when this happens?
[quoted image]

HowardR….what am I looking for on the four switches? Inspecting them as it’s resetting?,,after resetting? The score literally resets after every ball, if I hit the center target, if it goes down the 500 chute, at the top….and when it resets, it disables my flippers momentarily. Lots of crazy issues for a beginner

#20 2 years ago

HowardR, yes it resets in various modes, targets and chutes, mostly. While it is resetting my score, my flippers are disabled, temporarily.

#21 2 years ago

Howard….it resets the score if it goes down the 500 point chute at the top, if it lands I one of the spin kick outs or if it strikes the center, 500 point drop target….all of these momentarily disable the flipper operation until the score finishes resetting to zero….maybe five seconds or so.

#23 2 years ago

Hey Fulltilt……thanks for the reply! Got one coming from PBR………….now to get someone to interpret it for me

#25 2 years ago

Howard, as always thank you for the expert advice. This will come in very handy. My problem has gotten more complicated. While waiting for a response…I decided that I may as well replace all of the burnt out bulbs, replacing all with the cooler burning #47s, now when I attempt start up the score motor will not stop spinning! Oh man……this is giving me a lot of frustration. At this point I can’t even run through the reset sequence!!

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

How far is it getting in the sequence I listed above?

I’m having to unplug the machine to get it to stop spinning. The replay button does nothing!

77DCC269-9542-42BA-8406-4B5BE0EEE50E (resized).jpeg77DCC269-9542-42BA-8406-4B5BE0EEE50E (resized).jpeg
#28 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

This bank just keeps going up and down….never stopping unless I unplug the machine!

BB359209-B9F0-4827-A22C-BBBB6CC1CB23 (resized).jpegBB359209-B9F0-4827-A22C-BBBB6CC1CB23 (resized).jpeg
#30 2 years ago

MarkG, thank you for the pointers and the links. I was on pinwiki and pinrepair but the funwithpinball site is phenomenal! I’ve been reading it all afternoon,…thank you so much! I’m familiarizing myself with the components and lingo and it’s helping with my comfort level, immensely.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Harold, thanks to everyone’s help, on here, I’m at the point of the score reels all set to zero, ball kicks out and the game will play. Still having issues with the score resetting while game is in progress. Am I looking for the tripping of the DB relay on the control bank, or is there something going on in the score motor? Still waiting on my schematics.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

On the reset bank , is there an switch actuator missing ?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

@chas10e…. Good eye, chas10e! There used to be one missing…….I fabricated one out of some old clock parts!

551BD832-64B8-4E7B-B1ED-A139E2F9FECC (resized).jpeg551BD832-64B8-4E7B-B1ED-A139E2F9FECC (resized).jpeg
#36 2 years ago

Ok folks, new issue. I’m determined, after everyone’s positive push, that I’m going to figure this out. So I started going through each component, trying to make sure they are working properly. I’ve noticed the ball count stepper advances up until ball number 5 but will not advance anymore. Same thing is happening with the spin unit stepper. On both ratchet gears there seems to be a missing tooth or smooth spot. When it hits this smooth spot it will not advance any further. Is this “smooth spot” normal?

09175D7A-7248-4E2A-9E74-CBAF42680EAB (resized).jpeg09175D7A-7248-4E2A-9E74-CBAF42680EAB (resized).jpeg
#38 2 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Yes, that’s a common thing when you get to a maximum count.
Dave

@dpAmpGuy, can the gear be rotated to access a better set of teeth or what is the repair solution? Both ball count and spin unit have a tooth missing!

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Yes, that’s a common thing when you get to a maximum count.
Dave

Thanks Dave! I misinterpreted your answer.

#41 2 years ago

Ok, folks….big shout out to Mk1ModO(Third Coast Pinball and Graphics),for coming to my house and giving me a helping hand. He helped with many issues that I’m sure I would never have solved. Thanks very much, Shawn!! Now, my machine resets properly, and most all functions work properly. There is still a few glitches that need to be worked out.
1. When the kicker flips the ball out to the shooting plunger, it seems that it passes over the switch in the out channel too quickly and doesn’t register the ball number. If I click it manually.. it advances the ball count, correctly until the 5th ball then game over. It will NOT do this if the ball is flipped over this switch by the “kicker”. Any thoughts, please?

ABD335B6-6479-43E6-B636-E230F49D4563 (resized).jpegABD335B6-6479-43E6-B636-E230F49D4563 (resized).jpeg
#42 2 years ago

Update: figured out the ball the ball kicker switch was adjusted a bit too close and it was going through the ejecting motion sometimes more than once. While it was doing this……it was not ready to count the balls in the out chute, yet. A little adjustment and it’s working well, now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Various novelties
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redcloud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spin-a-card-keeps-buzzing?tu=redcloud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.