(Topic ID: 159232)

Spike system and stern factory shaker breaking components?

By Ballsofsteel

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Just wondering if anyone else has observed unusual Stern Spike machine component fails/breaks/issues resulting in having a stern shaker motor hooked up an running?

i have observed on a GOT Pro (all right flipper, right above the shaker)

1. Coil lug clean break off terminal
2. EOS adjucator snap in half (how is that possible? as it only depresses the EOS switch)
3. EOS contact point snap in half, not even at contact point.

i suggest this is do to a lack of transformer weight in the front of the cabinet that had previously been located near shaker, to counter the shaker effect.

Thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

I'd blame the flipper action, or flaws in parts, long before the shaker motor. Everything you mentioned are known to break.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

i also have a metallica SAM 2013, with 5 times the gameplay, a shaker motor, and i have yet to see any of these components fail on that machine.

#4 7 years ago

How many plays were on this?

Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

Just wondering if anyone else has observed unusual Stern Spike machine component fails/breaks/issues resulting in having a stern shaker motor hooked up an running?
i have observed on a GOT Pro (all right flipper, right above the shaker)
1. Coil lug clean break off terminal
2. EOS adjucator snap in half (how is that possible? as it only depresses the EOS switch)
3. EOS contact point snap in half, not even at contact point.
i suggest this is do to a lack of transformer weight in the front of the cabinet that had previously been located near shaker, to counter the shaker effect.
Thoughts?

#5 7 years ago

Yea I don't think the shaker has anything to with this. The way the shaker works it doesn't impact the ball, tilt bob etc. It definitely doesn't break components in the machine. As for weight of the transformer, that weighs maybe 5 pounds. In a 200 pound machine, that's not a significant weight change.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The way the shaker works it doesn't impact the ball, tilt bob etc.

true, but have you observed the shaker motor in action for minutes during dragon mode, as well as repeatedly smashing the SUPER JACKPOT battering ram and shaking the whole floor apart? i had it set on minimal setting the entire duration i had it hooked up (as i disconnected it 2 weeks ago). i'll check the gameplay counter after work, I was just interested if any other spike system owners, or GOT owners had experienced any strange issues with shaker installed. Only thing i can figure is that the right flipper components failed as a result of the rebound shot on the right flipper out of the dragon kickback.

#7 7 years ago

true, but have you observed the shaker motor in action for minutes during dragon mode, as well as repeatedly smashing the SUPER JACKPOT battering ram and shaking the whole floor apart? i had it set on minimal setting the entire duration i had it hooked up (as i disconnected it 2 weeks ago). i'll check the gameplay counter after work, I was just interested if any other spike system owners, or GOT owners had experienced any strange issues with shaker installed. Only thing i can figure is that the right flipper components failed as a result of the rebound shot on the right flipper out of the dragon kickback.

The minimal setting has nothing I do with how hard the shaker shakes. It only determined when the shaker shakes. I had a shaker in my GoT since day1 as I put them in all my games. Any issues you are describing are not the fault of the shaker. Sounds like you had some defective parts on your flipper mechs that finally gave out.

#8 7 years ago

I have every spike pin, and all have shakers except WNBJM. No issues.

#9 7 years ago

Probably close to 1,500 plays on my pro with a shaker and no issues whatsoever. I have the pinball life spike shaker.

#10 7 years ago

hmm, ok thanks for all the suggestions. unfortunately I had just done a factory reset to try to resolve resets on my machine so I don't have my audits anymore. good news, I just installed my new power supply from stern! hopefully that resolves the reset issues at least.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-system-and-stern-factory-shaker-breaking-components and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.