(Topic ID: 222551)

Spike Stern flipper feel? Feels off? Or fine?

By shacklersrevenge

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by shacklersrevenge
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Spike Stern flipper feel? Feels off? Or fine? ”

• Flippers feel fine to me 14 votes
      88%
    • Flippers feel different than Sam 2 votes
      13%

(16 votes)

#1 1 year ago

For me the flippers are the heartbeat of any good playing pin. Shitty flippers equal shitty gameplay.

Has anyone notice something a little off with some of the spike games in terms of flipper feel or delay? They’re plenty powerful but I’ve noticed something feels a little off, almost like a micro second of a delay.

Kiss and Ghostbusters felt fine to me when I had them in a huo environment, and maiden felt fine too, with the exception of the end of flipper shots, like that spinner to the pops are tomb awards.

I have played a Star Wars out of the box and huo Aerosmith now at home and both feel the same, with many “ hmm that shot should have gone there” type of moments and just overall feel is noticeablely different in where I expect that ball to go.

I played around with the tension of the switch stack, that wasn’t it. It’s almost like you can see a flutter bounce after each flip if you look closely at the flipper after impact, ball or no ball... and this may be the key to the whole thing. Or is it because they’re 48 volts..

Thoughts?

#2 1 year ago

Flippers feel fine on every SPIKE game I’ve played... which is all of them I think.

#3 1 year ago

I have a TSPP right next to my SWP and I was discussing this very issue with my son. There is a definite lag on release. A very light no ball tap on the flipper button will always result in a full sweep on the Star Wars, but not on the TSPP. It's as if there is a logic circuit in the mix.

#4 1 year ago

They're both software controlled, and aren't they both 48V? Same coils, same mech. Some tiny delay could be there but people couldn't even tell WPC has up to a 4ms lag on its flippers so I doubt you can detect it.

In the end though, 'feel' doesn't matter. You can trick your brain into feeling whatever you want. Slo-mo camera or oscilloscope timing capture or bust.

#5 1 year ago

Wasn’t there a thread on this here awhile back?

#6 1 year ago

I have noticed it on my SW Pro. I thought it was just me until a buddy asked me if there was an issue with the flippers.... Hmmmmm?

#7 1 year ago

Not really enough for me to think aboot it. I go betwixt Whitestar & Spike and nothing seems weird.

#8 1 year ago

Ive noticed a while ago that the ramps and orbit shots seemed all later on the flippers in Aerosmith and Star Wars, compared to other games. It feels like a big change to me.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Driz1847:

Ive noticed a while ago that the ramps and orbit shots seemed all later on the flippers in Aerosmith and Star Wars, compared to other games. It feels like a big change to me.

Yes! This.
    This is what I mean. These two games is where I’ve noticed it, even if it’s just a slice of paper difference off, it’s off. I noticed it on maiden on the right shot to the tomb awards too, it’s not where you expect it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 110.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 9.50
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    T-shirt- Grey Color Out of stock
    Project Pinball Charity
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside