You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cruise (resized).jpg
107627701_o (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
IMG_0661 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider black_knight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 4 years ago

Still seems like a hypothetical problem to me. I know the early machines had high failure rates, but Stern stepped up and provided replacements well beyond the warranties. I had a v2 board go out and it was easy peasy to get a replacement.

I haven't heard many issues with the late version boards, and only vague rumors of a couple people actually paying for replacements.

They will go bad eventually, but I believe aftermarket repair capabilities will catch up by the time it is a widespread problem. How was the reaction in the 70's when the first boards came out, were techs immediately capable of repairs?

At the end of the day, a replacement board is about 5% of the cost of a new machine, so it's not great, but it's not a life changer. I've had 5 spikes and had $0 out of pocket for boards.

I'd love it if stern charged a more reasonable markup, but based on the pinball market these days, that is really unlikely.

#36 4 years ago

Looks like I poked a bear this morning!

My vague comment was poorly worded. I know people have paid for boards, but of all the node threads I've seen on pinside, I think there are fewer than 5 people who have admitted to being out of pocket. So vague meant the size of the issue, not its existence.

Compare this to playfield issues, where many more times the number of people have been affected.

Hell, I think the coil stop quality issue has had a bigger impact on Stern owners than node board payments. I know its impacted me more.

I understand the risk of a node board, and it won't stop me from buying a machine that I want. YMMV.

We are all frustrated with the accumulation of quality issues and price increases, but until the market collapses, I don't see any relief.

This by the way is just bullshit:

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Especially since they are charging 200 - 300% more for games than they were in 2009.

That means 4 to 5 times the price they were 10 years ago.

#38 4 years ago

1,000 2009 Price
3,000 300% more
4,000 2019 Price

4,000 is 4 times 1,000 - (ignoring about 17% inflation)

So a premium today at 7,000 would have cost 1,750.
A pro at 6,000 = 1,500

Where machines really that cheap in 2009?

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

No. If that were true 1000 would be 100% more. If we accept your premise that $1000 was the 2009 price then $1000= 100%. Another $1000 is 100% more or 200% of the original price. Your $3000 example is 200% more.
If Neo is right when he says

a $7500 game today would have been $1875-$2500 (assuming Neo's claim is accurate.)

He said 300% MORE THAN 2009 so that is 1,000 + 3,000 = 4,000

If he said 300% OF the 2009 Price it would be 3,000.

#120 4 years ago

OP, did you just post that pic in post #1. If not I missed it before. That is not a Spike node board.

That board on TWD has been an issue because it sits between the flippers. It is usually the power connector - the red and black wires in your picture. If you jiggle them do the lights come back on? Most of the GI is daisy chained to the board, so if there is no power, there are no lights.

There is a connector repair available for it. Mine went out early in the life cycle, and I just soldered the wires directly to the male connectors on the board.

Not pretty but havent had an issue since.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-gi-is-flickering-help-please#post-2748271

Just saw the post above. These are different problems. So giggle your wire, and if it doesn't temporarily fix it, use the one above.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider black_knight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-node-board-repair-anyone?tu=black_knight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.