You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cruise (resized).jpg
107627701_o (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
IMG_0661 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rager170.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Still seems like a hypothetical problem to me. I know the early machines had high failure rates, but Stern stepped up and provided replacements well beyond the warranties. I had a v2 board go out and it was easy peasy to get a replacement.
I haven't heard many issues with the late version boards, and only vague rumors of a couple people actually paying for replacements.
They will go bad eventually, but I believe aftermarket repair capabilities will catch up by the time it is a widespread problem. How was the reaction in the 70's when the first boards came out, were techs immediately capable of repairs?
At the end of the day, a replacement board is about 5% of the cost of a new machine, so it's not great, but it's not a life changer. I've had 5 spikes and had $0 out of pocket for boards.
I'd love it if stern charged a more reasonable markup, but based on the pinball market these days, that is really unlikely.

I just had a node board failure on my GB that Stern had no interest in replacing. They told me to order elsewhere. Granted, it was bought in like 2016, but they didnt even ask me about any information.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So how comfortable are people to buy and keep these games long term like 20 years plus? I don't own any spike games, but this has definitely scared me off a bit. I want a SW, but I would probably never sell it if I do get one, but want reasonable repair costs.

It makes me nervous haha. 20 years from now, will replacement boards be as easy to find? Id rather go back to just changing a single bulb when needed vs. these node boards. Granted, the effects on the new machines are awesome.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Is it possible to order the node board elsewhere? None of the online pinball part suppliers sell node boards to my knowledge here and the distributors only want to sell them to their direct customers as I understand it.

Pinball Life had it.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Marco has quite a few node boards in stock.

Yup, they have a bunch of them also. Marco was out of stock for the one I needed...

#29 4 years ago

Yea they have a good amount it seems also..

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Allegedly though, right? Sounds very vague. A rumor if you will. I’ve heard numerous “stories” exactly like yours, but where’s the proof?

really? lol. You think I just made this up?

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 10:11 AM Pablo Padilla <[email protected]> wrote:

Justin,

Unfortunately we do not sell direct and you will have to contact your distributor/Dealer to order this part. You can also purchase direct from the following link.

· NODE BOARD PART NUMBER – 520-7017-72

Thank you,

Pablo Padilla

Stern Pinball Tech Support

800 542-5377

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Same node that’s just gone out on my BM66.

What annoys me more is Stern knows they have issues with these boards due to vibration. They should be giving these board replacements out for free when they break.

Dont get me wrong, I actually do like Stern and they have been helpful in the past. But in this instance, I asked to get a replacement and that was the response.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

What annoys me more is Stern knows they have issues with these boards due to vibration. They should be giving these board replacements out for free when they break.
Dont get me wrong, I actually do like Stern and they have been helpful in the past. But in this instance, I asked to get a replacement and that was the response.

Actually, I even tried to point out their issue when asking about a replacement. Almost like a "hint hint".

Hello, I just received an error message on my Ghostbusters Premium machine saying that Node 9 cannot be found. I am pretty sure that the diode is broken as mentioned in the service bulletin. I would also assume this is why about half the machine has no lights currently. Can you please help to get me a replacement Node 9 board? Thank you, Justin

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

So should someone purchase replacements now just in case down the road they aren't available?

If we have to do that, everyone is going to be buying a lot of parts for all their newer machines!

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

45 Posts and nobody can identify a repairperson capable of fixing these boards. Stern borrowed a manufacturing principle from Apple, use proprietary components so you control the repair (or lack of) your product. They do not make money from used machines, used machines keep them from selling new machines.
Built in obsolescence is the norm in a throwaway Society. Imagine how much money Stern would make if all of these 20,30,40 year old machines could not be repaired.

I was given this info on the Ghostbusters issues thread by Pin Monk about fixing my boards:

"Borygard here on pinside repairs node boards. Might want to see if he can do it for you, or if he has a swap service."

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It was a joke. Sarcastic hyperbole using some of the very phrases you used. Trying for comic effect.
Meaning anyone that doesn’t believe you - or think this is a real issue - is plain wrong.

Its all good. haha I guess I missed the sarcasm..

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Ok so has anyone had a node board go dead on them? I have a replacement board in hand is it a simple case of swapping them over like for like or do I need to re-run the latest code update for the node board/s? Thanks

I asked this last week. I was told that just swapping it in will do it but be sure the dip switches are set correctly.

I am putting my replacement in tonight...

#98 4 years ago

The new node board did the trick. As mentioned by others, I did not have to reinstall code or anything. The CPU reprogrammed the board and everything is good. Again, just make sure the dip switches are set correctly.

Oddly enough, I dont see a broken connection on the board that failed. Kind of strange but obviously something was up with it since it wasnt getting the power it needed..

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Thank you, all of you, for responding, although much of this thread was either very techy/arcane or focused on the future when I need a solution today. The board in question (true, it's an LE controller board, not technically a node board) is 520-6937-00. It's backordered from Stern. Without it, I have no GI. I play my game with flashlights set up on broom handles beside my game's cabinet. It's hokey, believe me. I need the board. Ironically, I bought the game in part for its durability. I understood it be SAM and node-board free. Not true. My game is a TWD Premium made in March of 2016 and it does indeed have plenty of node boards on the underside of the PF. I'm encouraged that lamp boards are more repairable than others, apparently. I have PM'd Borygard and hope to hear from him soon.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6936-00

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Thank you, all of you, for responding, although much of this thread was either very techy/arcane or focused on the future when I need a solution today. The board in question (true, it's an LE controller board, not technically a node board) is 520-6937-00. It's backordered from Stern. Without it, I have no GI. I play my game with flashlights set up on broom handles beside my game's cabinet. It's hokey, believe me. I need the board. Ironically, I bought the game in part for its durability. I understood it be SAM and node-board free. Not true. My game is a TWD Premium made in March of 2016 and it does indeed have plenty of node boards on the underside of the PF. I'm encouraged that lamp boards are more repairable than others, apparently. I have PM'd Borygard and hope to hear from him soon.

Are you sure its not a fuse on that board or something? Ive had that happen on my TWD Pro.

#123 4 years ago

I know, thats why I deleted the post. Sorry for any confusion..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 26.95
7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 8.95
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rager170.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-node-board-repair-anyone?tu=Rager170 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.