You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C1478175-CBF7-4E2A-969B-1CE0C961C6C3 (resized).jpeg
FADFE990-85B2-4A52-8F06-9427B321C3F7 (resized).jpeg
EE51FB84-D079-4A85-A54D-B73F032ADDE7 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I’ve never worked with these before. So now I see that this green “LITE LOCK” LED is out on my KISS Pro.

I lift the playfield to see that there is this whole node board, that controls and has attached several LED lights.

Am I to understand that if one LED fails on the board I need a whole new board? Please tell me no because I looked up the replacement board and it’s $249.

Thanks in advance for answers.

C1478175-CBF7-4E2A-969B-1CE0C961C6C3 (resized).jpegC1478175-CBF7-4E2A-969B-1CE0C961C6C3 (resized).jpegEE51FB84-D079-4A85-A54D-B73F032ADDE7 (resized).jpegEE51FB84-D079-4A85-A54D-B73F032ADDE7 (resized).jpegFADFE990-85B2-4A52-8F06-9427B321C3F7 (resized).jpegFADFE990-85B2-4A52-8F06-9427B321C3F7 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

The "joys" of owning newer machines with surface mounted parts on little boards. After looking at some of the newer machines and owning a couple for a very short period of time we quickly realized these things were going to be crazy expensive to fix once boards starting having issues so we decided Williams System 11 machines and earlier DMD machines were the way to go.

I have a feeling in about 10 years you will see a bunch of $6000 to $10,000 paper weights sitting because no one is making replacement boards for them. Thankfully that will not be an issue for us!

Sorry you are having an issue but I don't think you will be finding a "cheap fix".

#3 5 years ago

Contact Stern for sure. If it's a new game and needs a new board they're pretty well aboot sending them out no charge.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks guys.

I bought the machine from someone, so I’m sure we’re long past any sort of warranty.

At any rate, I guess you confirmed my fears. That is one f’ing expensive LED bulb.

Also, the other thing I am concerned about is the availability of parts. The ONLY supplier that came up was Marco. I had to order a different critical part (solenoid plunger for VUK) a while ago and Marco was also the only place that came up for that part as well. “Out of stock”. Remained that way for weeks. I became pissed and called Pinballlife for help. They suggested a Williams plunger, but it was plastic (vs all metal) and the wrong length. He said no prob on the plastic and just saw it to the correct length.

It worked like a charm, but I guess what I am getting at is that I am a little alarmed at the dearth of parts for a game that was released only 3 years ago. What happens when NOBODY carries the nodes?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

I am a little alarmed at the dearth of parts for a game that was released only 3 years ago. What happens when NOBODY carries the nodes?

This is what a lot of people that have concerns about Spike worry about. But hey, the Spike fans tell you not to worry about it and that everything will be fine.

#6 5 years ago

Some of these newer sterns are great machines and a blast to play. I just can’t get down with owning one due to shit like this. I’ll just have to get my fix of Iron Maiden & Star Wars on location.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

I’ve never worked with these before. So now I see that this green “LITE LOCK” LED is out on my KISS Pro.
I lift the playfield to see that there is this whole node board, that controls and has attached several LED lights.
Am I to understand that if one LED fails on the board I need a whole new board? Please tell me no because I looked up the replacement board and it’s $249.
Thanks in advance for answers.

haven't seen that happen yet on these boards... I think soldering in a new SMD led shouldn't be to tough, especially if it's just one color.
you just need to be really, really careful with it. If I was you I would seek out a replacement board though, can't imagine those kiss boards are going to be around forever.

I'm not a fan of SMD for lighting, but it is what it is.

#8 5 years ago

Surface mount soldering is a great new skill to learn. The only current difference in being able to repair new vs old.

Specifically if in the future boards are not available.

But otherwise. Just enjoy your pins.

#9 5 years ago

also if you can get the part through your distro, it's usually cheaper then going through an online retailer.
especially on stuff like this... sometimes.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Surface mount soldering is a great new skill to learn. The only current difference in being able to repair new vs old.
Specifically if in the future boards are not available.
But otherwise. Just enjoy your pins.

Where would a guy learn this skill? I saw there were a few videos on YouTube. Any recommendations on a kit for learning and for actual use?

Also, let's take the LED that went out on my board. How do you find out which part that is? Who would carry it?

Thanks again.

#11 5 years ago

See this thread, most of it is applicable to Spike in general - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system

Some useful info there, but I'm not sure you will find much of it very encouraging.

On the positive side, usually an LED going out (short) ruins the whole board, as they're so delicate and there's no fusing whatsoever on Spike/2. That hasn't happened to you, so hopefully you find someone with the kit and skills to replace the LED.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

That is one f’ing expensive LED bulb.

A prime example of something that should have been user replaceable with a socket or through hole components. I too am very concerned about ability to maintain these machines long term...

And yes some can replace smd components but think of how many will be damaged by those learning

#13 5 years ago

Im glad I have a friend that can do SMT. I love the new games, but issues like this are always a concern ,

#14 5 years ago

Its just a matter of time before some finds a hack. I tried to have one repair outside Sterns warranty, Which was their fault while on the phone with them. Plug it in here? I questions this but not stupid plug it in I have things to do. Ok, here we go and boom it went bye bye. Oh yeah that machine isn't under warranty anymore. Sorry so I looked else where and had a guy who could fix it but couldn't get around the software within the tiny little unit. However, I still think its just a matter of time before we run into the next genus that will fix them.

#15 5 years ago

Does AFM remake have the same issue?? I understand it’s not Spike but does it use node boards?

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Does AFM remake have the same issue?? I understand it’s not Spike but does it use node boards?

No.... It uses its own driver board. All tips and fuses are located on it.

As far as LEDs it all the same except for GI .... SMT on inserts

#17 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the other side of the node board? Since the LED is off, seems it could even be a driver chip or transistor failure, may not even be a LED. If you check with a meter at the LED #26 and see it pulsing in attract mode, I can say it would be a LED. If it is not pulsing at the LED, then another part would be at fault. You should be able to check against another LED on the board to compare it to.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

but think of how many will be damaged by those learning

Hit up surplus stores with boards to practice on. Much cheaper to make mistakes on.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

Where would a guy learn this skill? I saw there were a few videos on YouTube. Any recommendations on a kit for learning and for actual use?
Also, let's take the LED that went out on my board. How do you find out which part that is? Who would carry it?
Thanks again.

Buy a surface mount hot air station. Amazon etc. And grab some old computer or even cell phones you have around and start practicing.

Just desolider parts and solider them back on

Watch vids etc.

Not as bad as it seems, once you get the hang of it.

#20 5 years ago

d

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-node-board-basics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.