• 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Patofnaud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 8 years ago

As I recall, the entire system is run off the 48vdc and it is regulated down to the lower voltage on each node board.. So, if you were to disconnect the 48v to the playfield, all the electronics on the playfield would be non-responsive.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

For some of my own work, I tried to find the electrical requirements/code that required the interlock switch. 70V DC is on the edge of what may or may not require that. With 48V DC there is no requirement.

Its been a while since I've laid eyes on UL22 (that use to cover amusement games - video and pinball). As I recall, any voltage higher than 48VDC (maybe it was a higher value) could not be accessible without service disconnect. With the flipper lugs right there above the cashbox, it was necessary to remove this power (approximately 73VDC) to prevent shock hazard to anyone having access to the coin door (not necessarily a qualified service personnel).

Gottlieb did it with full AC disconnect to get their UL listing. At one point, Data East games (or were they Sega?) were shipped with a Fish Paper/Cardboard bezel encasing the entire cash box area so there was no access to any voltage other than what was on the coin door. I don't think you could even reach the tilt bob. Then either Williams or Sega came up with the idea of disconnecting the higher voltage secondary AC from the transformer. Which again, made sense since the transformer was located fairly close by the door hinge. Earlier Interlocks were there only for Memory Protect circuits.

If everything is now 48VDC or less, there is no requirement for the disconnect. I would question the move of the power switch being UL related. It was never an issue as long as all connections were properly covered and dead metal grounded. But moving it to the head eliminates a butt load of wire and hardware to save on cost. And regardless of your thoughts on the move, it makes total sense as an engineering design point.

Anyone know if there is a service outlet in the head now?

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

Does using the built-in switch of a UL listed power supply help with approval of the game?
There is also the cost savings of not running the power up to the front of the cabinet.

Every item on the Main AC input must be a UL listed component for the machine/device to get UL approval. This includes wires, fuse holders, EMI Filters, connectors, etc. Metal plates used to mount AC power devices must be grounded. All of this adds to the cost of building a game. If you can eliminate it, not only does it becomes easier to get UL approval, but you save money at the same time. So, YES, Using a UL listed power supply which encases all the Main AC and only outputs lower voltages, makes getting UL approval a lot easier. It may also help on the FCC Part 15 end since wires become antennaes and can radiate RF emissions making it harder to get it to pass for residential use.

Don't think these things happen only to save a few cents on the BOM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 12.50
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-no-interlock?tu=cactusjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.