• 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Patofnaud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

If this is accurate I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate this system.

I just got my GOTLE and I've noticed a couple of things that I'm not sure are either not working correctly or are as designed.

- 1st - No coin door ball save. It's in the options but when I open the door the ball drains and ends the ball. I like this feature as it prevents you from losing out on a good game if something comes lose. In this case my wife was having a great ball (pretty rare for her) and a bulb came out. She trapped the ball and I opened the door and told her to release the flipper as I have coin door ball saver on. Ball drains and she loses her ball.

- 2nd - The game goes into ball search with the door open. I hope this isn't by design or it's piss poor design. So, in this example, the game kicks a new ball into the game. I need to pull the PF out to get to where the light came from (backpanel behind the dragon). I pick the ball up and grab the bulb. I go to put the bulb back in and ball search goes off and activates all the coils. Not only starveling me, this is dangerous. If I was fixing a bulb in a sling that would have hurt like hell....

- 3rd - I don't see an interlock on the door. How does the game know that the door is open for the "coin door ball save" in the first place? I know the voltage isn't as high in the SPIKE system but this seems like really poor design.

Is this really by design? Does KISS and WWE behave the same?

I can live with the switch movement (I don't like it at all nor does my wife) but the above seems more like a safety item to me. Yes, I can turn the game off anytime I need to get a ball unstuck or put a bulb back in but that seems like a major step back in my opinion.

Sorry, if this comes across as whiny. I'm just really frustrated/irritated at the moment about this.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Is the wiring present? Just like the 'optional' slam tilt.
If it would be present, just buying a switch could fix it easy.

I tried looking for it and couldn't find a thing. If it's there I will add it.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Man. It must be the fact that GOT is my first NIB, or I'm the easiest person to please in the world. I have turned the game off every single time I want to work on something. So no issues at all with how the game behaves when on and I'm opening the coin door. Just let the ball drain and on the start of your next ball it sits in the shooter lane all day until you're ready to go again.
I have only used switch test to test some stand ups so I didn't know coils were active during that. I guess that would suck for a sling to smack you during that. I guess I've been lucky.

I agree, this is fine when you can do that but if you need to slide the game out to get to something you can't just leave the ball in the shooter lane. In this case a light from the backboard came out.

I can't see how this would have been a good idea. They need to at least stop the ball search for the times you are trying to fish a ball out of some area that it may be stuck at. I'll try the setting buttons trick.

Quoted from Delta9:

Its all about the money they save here they save their before u know it youll have to pay extra for coin mechs ect

They already saved enough on this LE. No shaker motor and the pro style latch system. I actually prefer that latch system as it feel more secure but still a cut.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I know my Kiss has it and my Got does not. I'm going to check out tonight if the wiring in GOT.

Appreciate it. I'll look again but I didn't see anything. I would hate to spend money to add something that should be there but I'll do it in this case. I get a lot of benefit from that feature.

#17 8 years ago

Just found this. According to the GOT manual the high power is supposed to be cut out when the door is open.

Untitled_(resized).jpgUntitled_(resized).jpg

#64 8 years ago

So, how do you accomplish this when playing on your own? I can't remove the glass and hold a flipper button by myself. It's not all about tournament play here. If you're a couple shots from Iron Throne and have to service the game it's going to piss you off.

Just seems as though they should have put a switch there if they didn't want the interlock so that they could at least recognize when the door was open during game play.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yea it's not really important to add an interlock switch for only coin door ball saver. The only possible code change here is to remove coin door ball saver from the menus. And since the game defaults to this setting being off, there's really very little benefit to even bothering to remove the feature.
As far as testing, many issues are solved by actually running the game with flippers and coils active in switch test mode. This is why the stern interlock switches enabled the pull out feature to reactivate the high voltage during diagnostics. Starting a game and testing is actually not the way it's been done in the past. That doesn't give you a good overview of the state of the switches. No wonder there are so many tech threads on these forums. Sheesh.
Now we know that it's not going to be possible to cut high voltage with the coin door open regardless what software does, it doesn't make sense to simply kill coils in the menu just because that's what you're use to.
The spike system is much simplified over older Sam and whitestar systems. It's time for people to learn how to diagnose problems on the new system and how it works without complaining that it's not the way it use to be.
Not everything is about cost savings and being cheap on the customer. Sometimes things are just changed as a result of moving forward. I'm surprised people aren't complaining that there is only one board in the head instead of the 5 data east use to have. "For what we pay, we should get more than one small board!" Lol.

Just a FYI. When you go into the settings it cuts power to the coils so your argument here is actually proven to be false (just tested it again). Let's try to not just give Stern a pass for something as "moving forward". I still see no benefit from this move.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Yeah this is great! We spend so much time during our tournament setup disabling the interlocks on any games that have them so we can place balls on flippers with the door open during any stuck ball/malfunction issue.

Just a FYI to you and Xerico as I know you are looking at it from a tournament perspective. I tried going into the adjustments menu (as suggested). That will actually kill the coil power and the flippers will drop. The ball will drain and the ball saver will not recognize the situation and it ends the ball.

Just something to look out for. If you have someone holding on to their ball. Make sure the tech is 100% clear to not press any buttons until they have ball in hand. Changing the volume did not do this but going into the service menu does.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Did you have coin door ball saver set to ON? If you did then there's a bug somewhere.
For anyone that needs to handle it themselves as mentioned. Cradle the ball, open the door, go into the test menu (flippers will die), fix your problem, exit the test menu when you have everything ready to roll and it should get you right back to where you were.
That's the proper behavior if Coin Door ball saver = ON.

Yes. Coin door ball saver is turned on.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Can you take a video and email it to me at [email protected]?
Would love to make sure this is sorted out before TPF/Nationals/Pin-Masters in a few weeks

Would be glad to help.

Edit - Here is the video. Will e-mail you as well. The volume seems to be a bug as well. Not sure if you can tell how load it is for being at level 1. Separate issue but that would be nice to have adjusted as well while I'm being picky

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Wrong. It actually does not cut power to the coils. Get a meter out and test the coils while in the service menus. You'll find the HV power is still present.
All it does is have software cut the energized coils (as if you released the button) but the HV is still present. There is no benefit to disabling the coils during switch test as it is an actual useful test to have coils run during this menu item (older games allowed it also if you enabled HV in switch test).
As the architecture was already explained above it doesn't make sense to repeat it all here because you incorrectly assumed coil *power* was cut in the menus. There's a big difference between cutting power to the coils and having software deactivate active coils. Therefore, this is not giving stern a pass. It really is moving forward.

Keep arguing semantics but the video clearly shows that the coils go dead. I don't care if it's because the power is cut or if the software tells it to do so. Either way, your explanation of the "benefit" is wrong. I know I'm sounding like an ass here but I'm not a programmer and don't care to be. I just know what is physically happening on the game and while in the service menu the coils will not fire which is what you were saying the benefit would be. That part is not true.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Thanks!
Can you actually go all the way into switch test and see if it's still behaving the same way, instead of just the test menu? Curious if that will trigger it.

Will do. I'm away from my house the rest of the day for soccer and my daughters gymnastics but I'll give that a test first thing in the am tomm and will report back.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Don't worry . . . it's not going to work

Ok. Appreciate you looking into it. Bummed on the outcome but atleast there won't be any suprises if that scenario happens at a tournament. I let Collin know already for the purposes of TPF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12.50
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-no-interlock?tu=85vett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.