3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wakky
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

2 things I wonder why Stern did on Spike:

1.). Why do you need to enable the high voltage to test the switch matrix?

Is there any way to test the matrix without HV?

2.). Why does the GI go out when you open the coin door? That's the exact opposite thing we want to see. Lights on helps with cleaning and finding problems in a dark lit area like a bar.

Sorry if this is mentioned before.

#2 3 years ago

I noticed there are no more 'attract sounds' on the stern pinballs made lately. Its good to have a demo sound or attraction when on site location as it makes the game stand out ...older pinballs from the 90's like Fishtales , Adams Family, Indianna Jones etc would play music or have attraction speech to lure players in
    We have several arcade centres and most games pop out when they make a demo sound but none of our late model Stern pinballs have a demo attract sound which is sadly missed from an operators point of view

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkyle:

1.). Why do you need to enable the high voltage to test the switch matrix?
    Is there any way to test the matrix without HV?

The switch matrix needs the nodes to function, Nodes require 48VDC, this is how the system is designed. There is no way to test without this voltage. SPIKE nodes convert 48 V and/or SPIKE node bus power to lower voltages that power the logic and the devices attached to the node. A SPIKE 48-V node typically controls high-power outputs such as game coil mechanisms and high-brightness LEDs. These powered nodes are supplied directly with 48-V system power. SPIKE node bus-powered I/O nodes read switch inputs and outputs to standard-brightness LEDs. Standard I/O nodes use the node bus power supplied by the main CPU node over the node bus modular jack connectors, reducing cost for nodes that don’t require high-power solenoid outputs.

Quoted from pinballkyle:

2.). Why does the GI go out when you open the coin door?

This is a safety feature of the coin door interlock switch.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

This is a safety feature of the coin door interlock switch.

This is unfortunate, since older games don't have this issue with GI.

As someone who also operates games in a dark bar, I think this is a minus of SPIKE. Pre-SPIKE I could have the coin door open, HV safely disabled, and GI still illuminating.

-Mark

#5 3 years ago

I always carry a LED work light when I'm servicing my games. I've learned the hard way not to work on them with the power on.
    You could just close the coin door when cleaning? You don't really need it open to clean the playfield.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

This is unfortunate, since older games don't have this issue with GI.
    As someone who also operates games in a dark bar, I think this is a minus of SPIKE. Pre-SPIKE I could have the coin door open, HV safely disabled, and GI still illuminating.
    -Mark

Buy JJP games. They illuminate the entire playfield/cabinet with feature and GI lamps when in test. Great feature. Though I guess an arcade full of just WOZ wouldn't be good.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#7 3 years ago

Recently heard that on games going forward the high power interlock switch will be removed. Supposedly it is no longer required for ul due to the slightly lower voltage. This will solve these annoyances but you will have to be more careful not to short 48v while working on the game.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wakky:

I noticed there are no more 'attract sounds' on the stern pinballs made lately. Its good to have a demo sound or attraction when on site location as it makes the game stand out ...older pinballs from the 90's like Fishtales , Adams Family, Indianna Jones etc would play music or have attraction speech to lure players in
    We have several arcade centres and most games pop out when they make a demo sound but none of our late model Stern pinballs have a demo attract sound which is sadly missed from an operators point of view

I agree a little bit here, but remember that those games had incandescent lights. I think now they concentrate on making he games brighter and have better light shows when in attract mode.

#9 3 years ago

Apparently the attract sounds were more trouble than they were worth, since many operators (or locations, more to the point) hated them and wound up turning the volume on the machine down to make them go away.

#10 3 years ago

Is the interlock switch really an issue? In the past, all power interlock switches can also be pulled out and lock in place (not just pushed in). Did Stern stop using that type of switch?

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

Apparently the attract sounds were more trouble than they were worth, since many operators (or locations, more to the point) hated them and wound up turning the volume on the machine down to make them go away.

Doesn't sound like your an operator.? The demo sounds could easily be turned off or on via the menu set up anyway so this wasn't an issue. In our arcades we find when games are in attract mode it creates that arcade experience.. Would you rather go into an arcade with all games off with 'dead silence' or a centre that has games running in full live action with sounds pumping?
    As an operator I know my customers love hearing arcade games and pinballs come to life in an arcade centre .Again we used to either go into a games menu and either turn them on or off. My point is the newer Sterns don't even have that option for the operator to have his game on full demo with sounds in the first place.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.95
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 7,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 26.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside