Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pintuck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

So Pinball world we are fast approaching 2020 , Wow

I expect Stern pinball will go next level with an attempt to outclass the competition.

Was talking earlier about hooking Chrome cast audio into my spike 2 for Bluetooth headphone access.

Appears to be doable

But hey............. this tech is already here and cheap.

We will see..............

The talk is already in the community

Predictions ?

What would you like to see ?

WiFi will happen
    Bluetooth as well

All can be on boarded with CPU PCB, My initial thought is it needs to be separate or optional

How can this tech be fully utilized ?

Appreciate all feedback as always.

Cmon' Pinside, Lets get next level

Thoughts, Input always welcome

#2 4 years ago

Make boards able to be repaired on site instead of sent/thrown out

#3 4 years ago

WiFi for what exactly? Add that, and Stern now has to worry about network security... No thanks, unless there's a very compelling reason other than "code updates."

#4 4 years ago

WiFi for interaction and improvement.

Bluetooth for audio bliss.

I think Web connect would be better to be a $100.00 option.

For those that want head to head

Bluetooth mandatory

But hey think outside the box,

#5 4 years ago

opportunity is endless

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

WiFi for interaction and improvement.
    Bluetooth for audio bliss.
    I think Web connect would be better to be a $100.00 option.
    For those that want head to head
    Bluetooth mandatory
    But hey think outside the box,

What do you mean by "Interaction and improvement?" It's already been established that you really can't do head-to-head - every game is different; even scores across machines are worthless due to how they could be setup. So what do you want WiFi for? I honestly can't think of anything that would be worth the extra security risk.

#7 4 years ago

On a Stern factory tour that I watched on YouTube Gomez tells the guys wifi is coming, but doesn't go into detail on it. This tour was in 2016. My guess would be the machines could be automatically updated like our cell phones do, and stern tech support (Chaz) could connect to your machine if your having issues and could troubleshoot and diagnosis the problem from his office.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

So what do you want WiFi for?

That's an easy one. Automatic code updates.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

stern tech support (Chaz) could connect to your machine if your having issues and could troubleshoot and diagnosis the problem from his office.

I wouldn't count on that ever happening. However, your game may be able to direct you to an online troubleshooting guide based on the issues you're having.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

It's already been established that you really can't do head-to-head

Says who?

Quoted from Fezmid:

even scores across machines are worthless due to how they could be setup.

Who says an interactive game has to be score-based? There's a lot more that you can do than just that.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

That's an easy one. Automatic code updates.

Quoted from Fezmid:

WiFi for what exactly? Add that, and Stern now has to worry about network security... No thanks, unless there's a very compelling reason other than "code updates."

#12 4 years ago

I would like to see individual player logins that could keep track of personal stats. This could be online or local.

#13 4 years ago

I like the idea of Wifi/internet connected games. Let's imagine for a moment you are an operator, or maybe just a big collector. How nice would it be to get an email notification that there might be a technical alert on your game letting you know a switch is busted, or the game has suddenly started doing ball searches more frequently and you should take a look to see what's causing it, or maybe a game has been getting more than usual tilt warnings or slam tilts, etc... this is all super useful information for me to have access to if I cannot be supervising my games at all times. I still think the JJP games that have a camera should take a picture of someone when they violently tilt out a game, and that could be available in a report on the machine, or if it had Wifi... send me an alert with a picture of the offender!

Usage stats for how many times certain coils have fired, which switches have been hit, game durations/plays or earnings would all be very nice to have access to through some sort of cloud-based interface. If the industry could work together on creating some sort of reporting standard that could dump data into this service, so you could see all of your new games across many pinball companies take advantage of this.

You could opt-in to share your gameplay data with the manufacturer, and they could use this information to make code changes to fine-tune the gaming experience. Think about early on in a game's code which there might be some bugs that cause a crash or some other undesired effect, or perhaps a score imbalance.. this can all be captured and used to help make things better!

Notifications that a new code update is available, and the option to install it automatically, or prompt you to initiate the installation would be awesome. Maybe attract mode could cycle news for upcoming pinball tournaments in your area. On-location machines could publish their high score charts to a Twitter or RSS feed if the operator set it up. Maybe I as a player could subscribe to that feed and see immediately when someone has knocked one of my high scores off a game at my favorite pub!

What about achievements for games? If I achieve a high score or complete some modes, etc... let me put my initials in, and associate those initials with trophies that are awarded for completing each thing in the game. Maybe I can look up a report online for what each player who has entered their initials on a particular machine have achieved.

There are so many things they could do with internet connectivity on these machines I haven't mentioned above! I would love to work on a team that was responsible for building those features into the games!

#14 4 years ago

Fuses

#15 4 years ago

Dr. Strange with a dozen subway ramps & 6 magnets!

4 months later
    #16 4 years ago

Next Stern cornerstone gonna get this ??

#17 4 years ago

I'd like to see a seperate +5 volt and +12 volt power supply feeding the boards instead of having node boards regulate +48 volts down to +5 and +12 volts.

#18 4 years ago

Id like to see the power switch return to the bottom of the game.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

WiFi for what exactly?

WiFi so that Stern can initiate a “monthly service” fee.
    EVERY other coin-op manufacturer that has “online” play charges, they will too.
    I despise all of them that I deal with as an operator, and hope it never happens.
    Horrible thing to hope for, it will take bitching to a new level.

2 years later
    #20 2 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

I would like to see individual player logins that could keep track of personal stats. This could be online or local.

Got any predictions for crypto?

#21 2 years ago

Hdmi out and audio out.

#22 2 years ago

A handheld remote control function for turning the game on and off and setting the volume like a TV.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-3-wishlist-?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.