1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by herbertbsharp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20180918-094544.png

#1 1 year ago

Spike 2 systems machines have been out for a while now, so I would like to start a thread on whatever warranty claims have been filed and what the results were. Has Stern been holding fast to the warranty duration listed in the manuals, or longer? Any thoughts?

#2 1 year ago

Second owner on SW, after warranty had expired. Had led flickering issues. They sent me three different led boards and finally a whole node board, to fix it.

Support was sometimes a bit confused, probably due to how many different cases they have to deal with, but I'd explain what had happened, what tests I'd done, etc and take my word on what I thought was the best option going forward, nice and easy to deal with.

#3 1 year ago

Anybody else? I know that there must be something out there. My own experience has been positive with my distro and Stern working together to make things right. My distro says the warranty is a full year and so far has backed it up.

#4 1 year ago

I've fixed games for a bunch of Ops, and Stern has always supplied repair parts outside of the warranty hassle free.

Often when I call, I have no actual idea of when the game was purchased, just the serial number.

It's generally painless, but I'm organized before I call and can explain, in detail, the diagnostic steps I took.

#5 1 year ago

Thanks, Vid. It is good to hear that. I am somewhat concerned about the durability and support Stern will provide on the Spike 2 hardware.

#6 1 year ago

Stern is great to deal with. They take care of you. I've had to call them on 2 or 3 different machines. They just asked me for the serial number and hooked me up. One time was a whole new board for a spike 2 game.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Stern is great to deal with. They take care of you. I've had to call them on 2 or 3 different machines. They just asked me for the serial number and hooked me up. One time was a whole new board for a spike 2 game.

Was this within the warranty period in the manual or longer?

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Thanks, Vid. It is good to hear that. I am somewhat concerned about the durability and support Stern will provide on the Spike 2 hardware.

Is that why you start a thread to stir up ANY bad experience anyone has had w Spike?
    I thought this was already discussed??
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system/page/3#post-4464918

#9 1 year ago

I have purchased 6 NIB Stern games, 5 of which were Spike. The support has been fantastic. Node board replacement, playfield replcement, general support availability etc.

#10 1 year ago

stern support has been fantastic.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Is that why you start a thread to stir up ANY bad experience anyone has had w Spike?
    I thought this was already discussed??
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system/page/3#post-4464918

No.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Was this within the warranty period in the manual or longer?

How long is the warranty period? I never even looked LOL. All my issues were over 90 days but were legit from the factory type issues.

#13 1 year ago

All good.
    I have 2 Spike and 4 Spike2 games.
    Only issue was Ghostbusters, got replacement board promptly.
    All games operated commercially 7 days a week,on full time, in bars.
    They have been very reliable for me.

#14 1 year ago

What sort of issues are coming up? Electronic, cabinet, playfield?

#15 1 year ago

I have only had a couple of board failures out of eight Spike/Spike 2 games. CPU board for Star Wars was replaced within warranty, Cabinet node board for KISS was not replaced outside of warranty. I didn't expect Stern to pick up the cost of a failed board today for a game purchased in 2015.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

How long is the warranty period? I never even looked LOL. All my issues were over 90 days but were legit from the factory type issues.

The official warranty period is described here:

So is Stern routinely going beyond this? Because if they are, that is a great business practice.

Screenshot_20180918-094544.png
    #17 1 year ago

I've also found Stern support is great. They have replaced a couple node boards for me over the years even if I'm not the original purchaser or out of the warranty period. I've bought NIB games from 3 companies and had the fewest problems out of the box and best support from Stern.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

The official warranty period is described here:
    So is Stern routinely going beyond this? Because if they are, that is a great business practice. [quoted image]

Yeah, then every time it was out of warranty. As long as you're within reason I think Stern will take care of you. They have the best product support of any company I have dealt with, pinball or otherwise. Quick responses, personable and knowledgeable people, from a manufacturer that doesn't distribute their own product, they are awesome.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.99
    $ 750.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 299.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 19.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside