4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by paul_8788
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Purchased my first NIB game and noticed some rebooting which at first I thought random. The game has the Spike 2 System.

After some time I realized it was not so random. The last three times I noticed it, it was at the same time of the day. 8:40 in the evening. The game never did this during game play.

After a few emails with the MFG, and the techs having conferred with the engineering team, they assured me that this was normal for a machine that is left on all the time.

I was told that on all Spike 2 Systems, they will do a maintenance reboot after being idle for a certain period of time.

I could find no reference to this and so wanted to share with everyone for your collective information and for future searchers of this topic.

#2 4 years ago

This behavior is explained in several recent Stern Game Code update READMEs:

- Added Maintenance Reboot support. The game will automatically reboot if it has
    been on for more than 48 hours and has been idle for at least 15
    minutes. A 15 second notification display will be presented and can be
    postponed by pressing both flipper buttons, inserting a coin/bill, or starting a game.

#3 4 years ago

I did not realize this.Thanks for the post.

#4 4 years ago

Why does the game even need to reboot at all?

#5 4 years ago

This looks like a bullshit excuse to a solvable problem.

My guess as an untrained spectator. There’s probably an issue with the game code, something that can accumulate over time, hence the 48hr time period.

Probably a memory issue. A value being written into the wrong spot on the memory table. Or a value overflowing into a space that it shouldn’t be.

It’s probably something like the kill screen in Pac-Man. Play for to long and a value will mess with game data and brick the game. You have to turn it off to reset the memory.

Shame on you stern. Shame.

Shutting off a game every 48hrs to “fix” a problem is not fixing it at all.

Reminds me of the loop issue on game of thrones. Instead of fixing the issue, they disable the feature.

#6 4 years ago

My question would be is there somewhere in the adjustments you could turn the reboot off.

#7 4 years ago

Spike is linux based, which has been bastardized so much over the years the bugs are worse than windows imho. Not sure i would be laying the blame on stern if they are using a specific verson of linux that is not entirey stable.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

My question would be is there somewhere in the adjustments you could turn the reboot off.

Not sure that you'd want to, if I recall, they added the reboot to solve an issue where if games were left on continuously for a period of days lockups would occur.

Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Shame on you stern. Shame.

Shutting off a game every 48hrs to “fix” a problem is not fixing it at all.

Disagree. Automatically rebooting fixes the problem of the machine randomly locking up just fine. The solution probably had the benefit of being very quick to implement which is critical when you have customers complaining about an issue, at least in my experience.

Optimally you then go back and spend the time tracking down where the resource leak or whatever is happening and address it. Not sure if/where that is on the list of Stern's priorities, but unless a lot of operators are complaining about the auto reboot my guess would be not very high. Tracking down a slow memory/resource leak can be little to no fun, especially if, as earetz mentions, it is possible it could be in the OS or in some driver that they didn't write the code for.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-2-system-maintenance-rebooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.