(Topic ID: 285505)

Spike 2 Node 9 OVERCURRENT PROTECTION / G.I. Failure (Stern JPLE)

By timlah79

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 275 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6391 (resized).png
20231215_114424 (resized).jpg
20231214_161209 (resized).jpg
A9C997B8-FCBD-49F6-9BD6-B85F9C6D3968 (resized).jpeg
60E8D79E-F079-4FA2-A9D4-8D32C2A6AFA6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8105 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8106 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8104 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8101 (resized).jpeg
probes for white GI (resized).jpg
IMG_8097 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8093 (resized).png
IMG_8094 (resized).png
Foo GI Upper White (resized).jpg
IMG_8088 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

With CN15 unplugged, all bulbs removed. I'd take a meter to each of the two wires on each socket and see if one is shorted.
9 sockets, only take a few minutes and might turn up what your eyes don't see.
LTG : )

To the OP, I think you need to revisit LTG's comment and take an ohm meter and look for shorts again.

Someone mentioned a wire possibly rubbing up against some metal. Given then intermittent nature of the problem, I'd definitely grab a good set of magnifying glasses an look for some worn insulation on a wire, especially around metal that has a sharp edge (i.e. a corner, etc.).

Minding sending a screen shot of the other area that vireland highlighted (see below)?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#58 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

This is the kicker: I then was like, I'll play a few games and see if the issues resurface. With the machine on I started loading the balls back in, just normally letting them roll down from near the flippers into the machine. Literally once the 2nd ball made its way into the trough, BAM upper left GI lights went out. I then went into Service and saw the Node 9 overcurrent protection alert. Powering off then back on, back at square one, Node 9 overcurrent protection alert, followed by TROUGH MALFUNCTION yet again (the original set of alerts/errors).
Now I know that my gameplay triggering the issue previously due to what we think is vibration reviving the short somewhere makes sense. However, this doesn't. A ball slowly dropping into the trough causes very little vibration. Is it possible that somewhere in the switches/wiring/anything of the seemingly unrelated area of the machine could be in play here? Or is what I witnessed likely a red herring and I should return to examining the GI area we think is the issue? I did inspect this new area and didn't see anything physically awry. But with all that said, the second alert after the Node 9 upper left GI has all along been TROUGH MALFUNCTION... Hmmm.

Ok, I dug a little further into the issue, especially given you trough issue/comments. I looked up what appears to be the node board (520-7017-72) schematic. I haven't worked on the Spike system, but I am an electrical engineer. But first time looking at this, so a bit of a WAG as I sort thru it. Looking at the first schematic below, I see the FET drivers used to power the GI lights, going to CN15. There's also a line called 'COIL_RTN2' that goes to the current sense line. That line (circled red in the 2nd picture) is what monitors the current and indicates the fault. On that current sense line is also some of the flipper drivers. But looking at the CN7, those might be spares. Looking at the blue circled part, that's the current monitor that watches the trough (and other things too). Then it appears the two current monitors are combined together since the each current monitors output is an 'open collector' in the chip - resulting in a single fault line for both chips (black circle). The thing I don't know is what is powered down when a fault is tripped. Nor do I know how it figured out the trough is an issue.

Translating: It might not be the GI causing the over current, but rather the trough...and the lights just shut off as a result (not the problem). Or I could be wrong since you appear to be finding a short at times in the GI wiring (don't know what your skill set is. ). If you really do see a short in the GI wiring, then wiggle the wires until you narrow it down.

Again, first time looking into this, so I might be off in left field. But it might be beneficial to look at the trough for something obvious.

Link to what I think is the schematic: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/520-7017-72D-Core-Node-Hall-3amp.pdf

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Removing CN15 (which ONLY handles GI 1-3 is power and 5-7 is the returns) removes the problem and clears the error. That almost 100% means it's just in the GI. Could be the node board, but swapping them isn't advised when the GI possible causes haven't been eliminated.
So the situation is likely the other way round from what you posit - that the GI short is causing the false trough error. And since eliminating all the possible causes of that short hasn't been done, everything else is a waste of time.

Yep, I was even editing my comment about that after rereading the OP's comment about seeing a short at times. But you snuck in before I was done editing.

I do think it is worthwhile looking around the trough though. I just don't know how they determined the trough is at fault, unless all the supplies are shut off if it sees a GI fault, resulting in a false trough fault.

Perhaps the OP just leaves CN15 unconnected and plays a bunch of games and see if it still throws a fault eventually.

#62 3 years ago

I do find it kind of hard to believe the trough vibration causes the wiring to short. If that was the case, I would think normal game play would set it off too.

#63 3 years ago

timlah 79, is this a plastic piece or metal? Might be a good idea to take off the plastic up top and look for shorts around the light sockets if you can't find it anywhere else.

#82 3 years ago

Good deal!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-2-node-9-overcurrent-protection-gi-failure-stern-jple?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.