(Topic ID: 285505)

Spike 2 Node 9 OVERCURRENT PROTECTION / G.I. Failure (Stern JPLE)

By timlah79

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by bobukcat
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bad Socket_5 (resized).png
Bad socket location (resized).jpg
jurassic-park-corner (resized).jpg
ED10B113-AB9E-4C04-B47D-C0A814DC7FC8 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20210112_021204744 (resized).jpg
crimped wire bundles (resized).jpg
JP_CN15_GI (resized).jpg
node-9-connectors (resized).jpg
PXL_20210110_025421815 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210110_025417865 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210110_025444155 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #78 Solution with photo of the offending socket. Posted by timlah79 (10 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 2manyhobbies.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I would next power off and remove ALL (as in every single one, no shortcuts) of the 154 highlighted bulbs at once, then reconnect CN15 and reboot. Is the error still gone? If it's gone, then one of those bulbs is bad and you'll need to power off, insert a bulb, power on, check, repeat until you find which bulb (or bulbs, it can be two or more, don't get complacent and not test them all) is the bad one. If it's down to testing bulbs, I would just make the easiest socket of the nine 154 sockets to get to your "test" socket and run all 9 bulbs through it one at a time (power off, bulb in, power on, check, power off, remove bulb, repeat).
If taking all the bulbs out and plugging in CN15 you have the error still, then it's one of the nine 154 sockets that has a physical short. They'll all need to be inspected top and bottom. Probably a broken spring, but since you were in there messing with mods before this happened, you may have moved something and made a short outside the socket, so hard to say.
But let's not worry about the socket short scenario until you confirm that it's none of the bulbs by removing all the 154 bulbs and testing.

CN 15 connectors for your Node board are included in this manual last page 6, giving voltages. Looks like everything is 6V G1 through G3 on the CN15 connector, 3 power supplies. I think on the other manual page 46 you were referencing they want you to check CN15 terminal 1 to ground to see if you have 5 to 6 VDC source voltage 1st. I am assuming if you have that then you have a bad bulb or socket like some of the others were mentioning. Maybe check around the area where the MOD was plugged in to give you lights at the top of the towers, which would be my first thought.

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/520-7017-72D-Core-Node-Hall-3amp.pdf

Here is a link to all Spike boards, there are 17 of them but pretty sure the one above is the one to work off of since it is the part number for the Node 9 board. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see all the links (Red Boxes)
https://sternpinball.com/support/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 2manyhobbies.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside