• Latest reply 2 years ago by Shredso
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2021-12-10 21.51.06 (resized).jpg
2021-12-10 21.49.52 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shredso.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I thought it would be neat to quickly swap between 2 code versions. Maybe 2 different soundtracks, or testing features of custom code. In my case I wanted to swap between Jurassic Park movie code and standard in case I wanted to stream (Movie code creator asked not to use it on stream).

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm doing. I have no idea if this is against Sterns EULA or whatever it is. It probably is. Install at your own risk.

First step was to make the SD card more accessible. There is very easy access to the speaker panel, but it's a pain to take out the translite. I bought this extender and it drops the SD card low enough to access without removing the translite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SYFCG17/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00

Next was the switcher. I bought this not realizing it was micro SD. Oh well. There may be a standard sized version. It took awhile to ship.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY139K4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00

When I realized I bought the wrong thing I dug out an adapter I probably got with a micro SD card at some point. This might not be the exact one, but it should work. It often times comes packaged with a micro SD card.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSD-Memory-Adapter-MICROSD-ADAPTER/dp/B0047WZOOO/ref=sr_1_3

You would need 2 micro SD cards for this. I think they recommend speed class 10. I used what I had lying around, which happened to be speed class 10. I know I've used SD cards with lower speeds for code updates so I'm not sure how much it matters.

It takes a minute to update the node boards after hitting the switch. Otherwise seems to work perfectly. I considered extending the switch to the coin door, I think it's absolutely doable. If you did that it would eliminate the need for the extension cable.

I thought about offering this as a mod, but it's really just a collection of off the shelf parts. If there was a demand for a version with a coin door accessible switcher I'd consider making a batch I guess.

Looking at the pics a tiny piece of velcro might be a good idea to take the strain off.

2021-12-10 21.49.52 (resized).jpg2021-12-10 21.49.52 (resized).jpg2021-12-10 21.51.06 (resized).jpg2021-12-10 21.51.06 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

atleast to not need to remove the translite

Especially LE games with real glass. I want to take the glass off of my Godzilla as little as possible.

#5 2 years ago

Here is a really boring video of a cold start and updating the node boards after the switch. It's pretty quick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shredso.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-2-how-to-quickly-swap-sd-cards?tu=Shredso and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.