7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 months ago

Are spike2 games able to except any kind of USB key now? I remember when you had to get lower USB version (1.0) with less than 2GB to get the code to update on other games. I need to purcahse a new USB key and dont want to grab the wrong one.

#2 7 months ago

It's better than with older Stern systems, but still not perfect. I've used them with a USB 2.0 8GB stick, however I have seen issues with certain sticks. A friend had a 1TB USB 3.0 stick that wouldn't work, for instance

#3 7 months ago

I've never had to use a USB 1 stick... Whatever the hell that is. Used multiple types of sticks and never had an issue.

#4 7 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I've never had to use a USB 1 stick... Whatever the hell that is. Used multiple types of sticks and never had an issue.

They look the same but speeds/capacity are very different.

#5 7 months ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

They look the same but speeds/capacity are very different.

Yes, I understand the technical diff'rence; My point is I can't think of the last time anyone used anything USB 1.

#6 7 months ago

It seems I am the only one that hasn’t ever had an issue with usb sticks, haha. I just grab whatever is around my house, erase it, put the files on it, plug it in and go. Never had an issue.

#7 7 months ago

I just had to upgrade mine for the recent Aerosmith update. That update was over 4 GB and I was still using a 2 GB one. I purchased a 16 GB usb2.0 and it worked fine for me.

#8 7 months ago

16gb worked fine for me. Make sure it’s FAT formatted. It will not recognize anything else. Also, make sure you unzip the file as well and place all files in the unzipped folder on the usb.

#9 7 months ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

16gb worked fine for me. Make sure it’s FAT formatted. It will not recognize anything else. Also, make sure you unzip the file as well and place all files in the unzipped folder on the usb.

FAT only accepts 2GB files - the new guardians code is 3.6GB. So how does that work?

#10 7 months ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

FAT only accepts 2GB files - the new guardians code is 3.6GB. So how does that work?

you must be using your FAT32 1.o USB. FAT does not have a limit of 2g.
    I don't know of anything with a 2G cap.

#11 7 months ago

Reread fat32 file size limit is 4GB.

#12 7 months ago

The entire file for AS was over 4 GB, but when you unzip it’s broken down into 3 files, all under 2GB each. Copy each file separately and not in a folder. No issues.

#13 7 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

A friend had a 1TB USB 3.0 stick that wouldn't work, for instance

There are no 1TB USB sticks, these are technically going to be USB SSD hard drives ... even if they look like a USB thumb drive.

#14 7 months ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

There are no 1TB USB sticks, these are technically going to be USB SSD hard drives ... even if they look like a USB thumb drive.

If it looks like a USB stick and acts like one, people are going to consider it one :/

#16 7 months ago

I have no idea what FAT32 is, and I’ve never had an issue updating. Just followed the stern instructions. Never had an issue.

#17 7 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have no idea what FAT32

Its not the same as it used to be...

#18 7 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have no idea what FAT32 is

"FAT32 is a solid file system for external drives, so long as you don’t plan to use files over 4GB in size. If you do need those larger file sizes, you’ll need to stick with something like NTFS or exFAT. The advantage to using FAT32 is portability. Every major operating system and most devices support it, making it great for drives you need to access from different systems. Specifications put out by manufacturers on file systems as they pertain to drive size created the myth that FAT32 can only be used to format drives between 2 GB and 32 GB, and that is likely why native tools on Windows—and other systems—have that limit. The truth is that FAT32 has a theoretical volume size limit of 16 TB, with a current practical limit of about 8 TB—plenty for most USB drives."

-- Quoted from How-to-geek --
    https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

#19 7 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

If it looks like a USB stick and acts like one, people are going to consider it one :/

Foe use in pinball you have to change your thinking, unlike most things, the cheaper the USB stick is, the better chance you have that its going to work in a pinball machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 93.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 28.95
    $ 0.35
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside