(Topic ID: 220255)

Spike 2 and Pinball Life Shakers, Is there a problem?

By DougPiranha

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by D-Gottlieb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I just bought 2 Pinball Life Shakers for SW Prem and GOTG Pro.

I am reading that there are some board issues but, can't find much information.

Should I hold off installing?

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Related:

I just installed the Pinballlife Spike 2 shaker motor in my Iron Maiden Pro. When I turned on the game, the shaker motor started shaking immediately, before the game even booted up completely. I turned the game off before the boot up completed.

I also smelled a faint "hot coil" smell.

Was I too cautious in turning off the machine? Or do I have a problem?

#3 5 years ago

I believe you need a cap kit to stop them from resetting the game sometimes? It happened to me only once.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-shaker-motor-advisory-for-mystery-slam-tilt

#4 5 years ago

Thanks, TheLaw . Does anyone know if it's normal for the PBL Spike 2 shaker to shake like crazy as soon as you flip the power switch? I'm afraid to wait 20 seconds with the shaker running and let the machine boot up.

Or does the cap kit stop this behavior?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Related:
I just installed the Pinballlife Spike 2 shaker motor in my Iron Maiden Pro. When I turned on the game, the shaker motor started shaking immediately, before the game even booted up completely. I turned the game off before the boot up completed.
I also smelled a faint "hot coil" smell.
Was I too cautious in turning off the machine? Or do I have a problem?

No shaker should come on like that on power boot. I'd contact PBL and talk to them about it.

#6 5 years ago

You need the capacitor mod kit, PBL should be able to send it to you, contact Terry.

#7 5 years ago

You need to be running 0.93 or later code on Iron Maiden. The issues Stern was having ending up being about code, not the need for a cap kit.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

You need to be running 0.93 or later code on Iron Maiden. The issues Stern was having ending up being about code, not the need for a cap kit.

Thanks pinballlife . I'm running the latest IM code, and I still seem to have a problem.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Thanks, thelaw . Does anyone know if it's normal for the PBL Spike 2 shaker to shake like crazy as soon as you flip the power switch? I'm afraid to wait 20 seconds with the shaker running and let the machine boot up.
Or does the cap kit stop this behavior?

We have one installed in an Iron Maiden Pro and that's not normal. Sounds like it's plugged in wrong or to the wrong place. Pictures?

Install instructions:
https://www.pinballlife.com/docs/instructions/SPIKE%20Shaker%20Motor%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf

#10 5 years ago

Definitely plugged into CN2 on the the SPIKE breakout board. It's a pretty simple install, and I double checked that connection.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Definitely plugged into CN2 on the the SPIKE breakout board. It's a pretty simple install, and I double checked that connection.

Plug isn't upside-down? Wire colors on the correct pins?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Plug isn't upside-down? Wire colors on the correct pins?

It's keyed (isn't it?) so it's really tough to screw up. Not upside down, all on the correct pins.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

It's keyed (isn't it?) so it's really tough to screw up. Not upside down, all on the correct pins.

It IS keyed, but that doesn't mean it can't be put on wrong. Also it doesn't mean the connector was wired right. If it's wired wrong, it will fit the plug but still not work right. A picture would still be worth doing. Maybe you're missing something.

I'd also check where the wires connect to the motor. Is there still a cap there? I don't remember. Undo the install and put the shaker motor in the coin box area, wire side facing you where you can clearly see what's happening. If it starts spinning when you power on, turn it off immediately - that's not right. If it DOESN'T start spinning immediately, then something about the install caused the problem.

#14 5 years ago

FWIW I installed my PBL shaker in my Iron Maiden today and have ZERO issues. No cap install and my code is 1.0 from the factory.

#15 5 years ago

The shaker can not turn itself on. Only the machine can do that.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

It can if it's wired wrong or shorted.

#17 5 years ago

Nothing wrong with Pinball Life Shaker motors and spike. That issue was years ago and Pinball Life made it good for all affected

#18 5 years ago

Was that due to Pinball life shakers made years ago or games made years ago? Is the latest version of PBL shakers safe in a 2016 GB?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Was that due to Pinball life shakers made years ago or games made years ago? Is the latest version of PBL shakers safe in a 2016 GB?

I have a PBL Shaker in mine. No problems.

1 week later
#20 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

To follow up, the PBL shaker ended up being the problem.

Scott and Terry did a great job helping me troubleshoot, accepting the return, and shipping a new one. And, of course, the new one works fine.

2 weeks later
#21 5 years ago

I have the PBL shaker motor installed on both Ghostbusters Pro and GOTG Pro with no problems. They work perfect and are great for gameplay. Only issue I’m having is sometimes the screen on GOTG goes “blurry”. If you smack the side of the back box it comes back to perfect. Checked all connections and all are good. Stern says for me to replace the board in the back box. $900!!! And not even available anywhere. Sterns customer service has gone way downhill.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from JFink8222:

Only issue I’m having is sometimes the screen on GOTG goes “blurry”.

Happens when the shaker motor is working? Or any random times?

#23 5 years ago

Deleted

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 22.50
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-2-and-pinball-life-shakers-is-there-a-problem?hl=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.