• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

-SOLVED-
**My friend Maleko came over and set my machine straight. Seems like it was a short in a bad #44 bulb loc. 151 causing all the issues. Installed fresh bulbs and so far so good! the flasher bulbs also went bad at the same time by chance. Node board is still ok. Thanks Maleko !**

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out here. I play this machine about 3-4 hours per day and really need it to get back on track for my sanity.

The machine is IMDN pro. I was trying to eliminate some GI flickering on the bottom half of the machine and I notice when I applied pressure to the flickering #44 bulb, the flickering went away so I assumed it wasn't seated properly. I continued to push (and twist) the bulb to re-seat it and probably. I heard a light electrical "pop". Everything was working fine and the GI flicker went away (GI light #151 on Figure 3.4.1. playfield light location per ref map in the manual). After about 30 min of play, the field went dead mid game, the playfield lights started going crazy and the slings started acting possessed
and slinging air non stop! I restarted the machine and everything was working 100% fine for hours of play. As of now, the machine plays fine for some time then finally dies/goes dark mid game for a second or two then comes back to life without issue. This does not happen frequently, only after extended play.

Clues:
-After about an 1/2 hour or so of play, the #151 GI lights on both sides of the playfield begin flickering and eventually go out over the next few min. gameplay is 100% fine during that time. The same GI lights stay off for anywhere from 15 min to 30 min until the entire game goes dead for a split second (just long enough to drain) then comes back to life. (the time delay makes me think there is some sort of overheating under the playfield?)
-Every time the machine exhibits the "let's play dead for a second" behavior it is triggered by a flipper press.
-When I opened the underside of the playfield to examine the damage, I noticed a bit of a burnt smell and the left flipper coil was burning hot. This coil is located directly above the GI bulb that "popped" referenced earlier.
-The machine is located in an air conditioned environment.
-There are no fault codes/technician warnings in the diagnostic menu of the machine.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Is it safe to keep playing? If it sounds like a basic overheating issue, is it as easy as installing a cabinet fan or do we need surgery? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!!!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

Did you pull the bulb out to see if the contacts are broke? I've had several sterns from the factory with broken contacts on the LED bulbs. Caused the same flickering as your describing.

#3 3 years ago

The 151 LEDs and the left flipper are both controlled by the node 8 board--as is a bunch of other stuff mostly on the lower playfield. Node 8 controls both lower flippers and both slings. A lot of stuff might behave unexpectedly if that board had an 'event'. The boards are black so it is harder to see burned parts but I would look there for evidence of the source of the burning smell.

Node 8 board is under the playfield next to the left flipper. It is a long-ish rectangular board with a bunch of connectors. You can't miss it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.50
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-2-advice-needed-lower-gi-short-causing-machine-freak-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.