You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0015.JPG
SM_,_New_Leds_and_Mods_002.JPG
SM_,_New_Leds_and_Mods_001.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Noticed this was added to the Pinball Archive today & thought I'd share.

Bowen Kerins does his thing:

#2 11 years ago

I wish I could play like that

#3 11 years ago

What did he do at the 4:17 minute to get the ball back under control?

#4 11 years ago

Good vid. for strategy. I still am not to clear as to how to start modes, how many there are and what happens if you dont finish them. Is there a Sea of Simulation type catch up?

Im really trying to figure out SM. I played it Disney Quest over weekend. It was cover in black scum. Could not read anything on playfield. Rules and modes are not as clear as other pins.

#5 11 years ago

Bowen's tutorials are awesome thanks for posting it.

#6 11 years ago

Av8, the way to start the modes is by shooting the white arrows, once they have been completed all the white arrows will flash, the next shot you make will be 2x'd until you lose that ball. By shooting the left or the right orbit you will start the mode that is lit down the bottom of the playfield. In terms of modes its like TZ, you just have to start them, you dont have to complete them, so potentially if you were trying to make it to super hero you can time the modes out.

#7 11 years ago

Can the same shot be repeated for 2X scoring on a subsequent ball, or is it excluded from 2X scoring for the rest of the game once the shot has already been used with a previous ball?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Bowen's tutorials are awesome thanks for posting it.

Exactly ,, I'm lOOk-n at SM in a different way Now .. The PAPA video's show so Much .

After I saw a PAPA tutorial on BSD ,, Oh man the things that I Didn't know !! I want to see 1 for Tron now .. How about 1 for HS2 !! Thanxx Special Ed

#9 11 years ago

I've got a whole new appreciation for the white arrows now. Nice job again Bowen!

#10 11 years ago

Awesome as usual

The last 10 minutes during / after Superhero mode he talks a bit about code and how important it is.... He was actually saying why SM is so awesome is that even after you conquer the wizard mode the whole PF doubles in scores which keeps you coming back for more!

(Stern, you reading this?)

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Awesome as usual
The last 10 minutes during / after Superhero mode he talks a bit about code and how important it is.... He was actually saying why SM is so awesome is that even after you conquer the wizard mode the whole PF doubles in scores which keeps you coming back for more!
(Stern, you reading this?)

A public endorsement by Bowen. Great. SM just went up again. LOL.

#12 11 years ago

I suspect that many that have said that they don't understand why SM is so popular would get a better understanding/appreciation from watching this video. The key to the game is to understand how and when to start the modes and then which things can be stacked. Once you understand the strategy the game is just plain fun and fast.

#13 11 years ago

Well said DCFAN

SM multi-balls can be stacked like BSD , Kick Azz Pin ..

#14 11 years ago

Thanks for posting this. If I could play pinball like Bowen, nobody would invite me over to play pinball. I would own the high score tables...

#15 11 years ago

How many MB in SM? Are there inserts like BSD and ACDC which show them stacked?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Black Suit (main) MB, the 3 Doc Ock MB's and Combo MB. Only inserts for Doc Ock MB's, but you can stack Black Suit with Doc Ocks.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Doc Ock, Black Suit, Battle Royal (mini wizard), Combo MB, and Super Hero (wizard mode)

#18 11 years ago

bowen is like a magician

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Good vid. for strategy. I still am not to clear as to how to start modes, how many there are and what happens if you dont finish them. Is there a Sea of Simulation type catch up?
Im really trying to figure out SM. I played it Disney Quest over weekend. It was cover in black scum. Could not read anything on playfield. Rules and modes are not as clear as other pins.

I know you love your ACDC, but I think you'll have an eye opening experience once you get the hang of SM. Before ACDC (and perhaps still) SM was SR and Lyman's masterpiece.

#20 11 years ago

Here's how the scoring works in Spiderman.

Multipliers: You start with four of six white arrows solidly lit. Shoot them all to make the six white arrows pulse, which means the next one you hit gives you a 2x multiplier for that shot. Shooting all the lit white arrows also qualifies mode start at either orbit.

Starting all five modes is a requirement for the wizard mode, Super Hero. You don't have to beat the modes to get to Super Hero, but every time you do beat a mode it lights a 3x multiplier which you can again put on any shot by hitting it after the mode is finished. 2x and 3x multipliers only last until the ball is drained.

After the mode is over (timed out or beaten) the white arrows are lit again (5 of them for your second mode, all 6 for 3rd, 4th and 5th). You can't progress through the white arrows or start a mode during multiball, but you can start a mode and then stack multiball(s) on top of it to make it easier to complete. the Bonesaw mode is 'hit 100 switches in 40 seconds' and is made trivially easy if you can start a multiball right after you start the mode.

Multiballs: Doc Ock multiball starts after you hit the Dok Ock shot enough times. There are three versions of this multiball (first is two balls, second is three, third is all four) and they cycle; after the third one is over you can start the first one again with enough hits. The rules and strategy are different for each but they all have super jackpot collected at the Doc Ock shot, which makes it a good place to put a 2x or 3x multiplier.

Black suit multiball is started by hitting the daily bugle stand-up enough times and then locking a ball by hitting either orbit. The third lock starts multiball. You can stack black suit MB and Doc Ock MB in any order.

Battle Royale MB is the mini-wizard mode, started by getting through the first two villain modes for each villain. This one does not stack with other multiballs. There's also combo multiball at 50(!!!) combos, but I'm not sure whether you can stack it with normal MBs.

Spider Sense: Hitting all three stand-up targets on the right side will light spider-sense and add value to the shot. The scoring from spider sense is neat and unique, but the important part (to me) is that the shot gives you add-a-ball if you collect it during multiball. So if you start Doc Ock #1 and then Black suit MB, you get all four balls into play and can get one back (plus some ball-saver time) by hitting the lit spider sense. This only works once per multiball.

The spider sense shot is one of the trickiest and most rewarding shots to hit, especially during the chaos of multiball. Practicing this shot (which requires hitting the bottom of the raised upper-flipper, and then dropping the upper-flipper at the right time to send the ball through the lane) gives you a way to extend your MBs and get multiple and multiplied super jackpots.

Practicing this shot will also pay off if you make it to the end of Super Hero, as it's the last shot you need to hit to beat the wizard mode and earn that 250,000,000 and 2x playfield for the rest of your ball.

#21 11 years ago

Bowen's video just inspired me to make it to Super Hero again. I played 2 games, first game I got around 250 million, managed to complete all the modes but was struggling hitting the Venom ramp and didn't manage to complete the 3rd level. Second game I focused more on making the Venom ramp early on in the game, made all the white lights, but by my 3rd ball still had 3rd level of sandman and green goblin to go. Managed to remain pretty calm and played some pretty controlled pin and made it to Super Hero. I made it to the 4th level of Super Hero but bombed out before making it to the 250 million shot. Got high score number 3, just over 450 million, thanks Bowen, keep up the amazing work

#22 11 years ago

This video proves why SM is one of the best games ever made!
Thanks for posting.

#23 11 years ago

This video proves why SM is one of the best games ever made!
Thanks for posting.

Almost ,, BSD is . I still want the Target decal's !!

SM_,_New_Leds_and_Mods_001.JPGSM_,_New_Leds_and_Mods_001.JPG SM_,_New_Leds_and_Mods_002.JPGSM_,_New_Leds_and_Mods_002.JPG

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Almost ,, BSD is . I still want the Target decal's !!

I really like bsd as well but I like sm better.
Great photos btw! The target decals look excellent and will compliment the game nicely.

#25 11 years ago

Wow, BR your SM looks awesome...... great job with the led's

#26 11 years ago

Bowen is an excellent instructor. His videos have greatly increased my knowledge of the rules and little tricks that can only be learned by example. I hope I get the chance to tell him that some day

#27 11 years ago

Bowen can really pay some pinball too. It is one thing to know the rules, but another to be able to play well enough to demonstrate them in an actual game.

Tom

#28 11 years ago

I gotta watch this. I got Battle Royale twice the other night at a party and have no idea what I did. I know one of my games was around 340 million, which was like 10 or 20 million short of the GC score on that machine but I think(?) there were extra balls at 50/100/150 million!?

#29 11 years ago

Sweet Black Rose Here is mine. Incandescents For G.I.

100_0015.JPG100_0015.JPG

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

It is one thing to know the rules, but another to be able to play well enough to demonstrate them in an actual game.

+1
Learned a lot from this dudes vids. I catch myself cursing Bowen when a dead flipper bounce doesn't work out for me. (Not his fault of course. Just convenient to blame him.)

#31 11 years ago

I just wish I could find a SM for sale in Aus, it just isn't happening.
I might have to bite the bullet and buy one from overseas and be done with it when I save up again( pin funds are dry after purchasing x-men but won't be long until the next purchase), does anyone here ship overseas?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 25.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spiderman-video-tutorial-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.