5%

(194 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20170520235150 (resized).jpg
IMG_0330 (resized).JPG
IMG_0329 (resized).JPG
12027825_10206309623932450_2151872025688564754_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Not so sure about that. I received PM's immediately upon buying my heavily modded Xmle to contact them when I decide to sell. Maybe so though For more standard examples.

What did you pay for it? I'd buy an XMEN LE for $5k or less, but maybe not for more. Is that out of line?

I sold my original SM for $5,100 years ago, before the VE was even a concept. It was my favorite pin ever at the time...but after you shred Super Hero for the second time it's time to move on.

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Xmen Magneto....no contest.

I totally appreciate your appreciation for XMLE...but saying " no contest" compared to Spidey smacks of ignorance.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That's an interesting perspective to try and make XMEN sound better.
First, having more modes isn't always better. Shots are tighter on XMEN, therefore harder to complete modes. And unfortunately you are FORCED to complete every mode in the game to progress. So you can play the same mode over and over and over until it's finally beaten...boring! So arguing it has more modes on a harder layout vs SM is a negative not a positive argument.
Repetition: most pins, even my beloved GOT with different house strategies, has an initial setup that typically works. Sure there are other ways to tackle games and it is players choice. But for SM, typical strategy is light a web mode, get a multiplier, start web mode, start dock ock. I will agree SM is much more repetitive on a factory setup with center drain post save. Remove that and the whole game changes. For XMEN, mind you my memory is fuzzy from the 2 years I owned it, but the strategy is cyclops > storm all day to complete those then it's iceman > Xavier to complete those. Throw in a villain mode or a mb to help with Xavier and that's the jist of it. Not to mention accidentally starting wolverine from his oversized figurine. But there's repetition in both games, the difference is SM flows like butter while XMEN doesn't which could lead to bricking, boredom, and frustration as you fail to qualify heroes.
I will say this, the light show on villain modes on the LE is BAD ASS. So is the spinning disk mb start. But, again - plan on repeating modes over and over. Don't get me wrong, the game is good and it is underrated slightly, but it needs polish (which it will never get) to become great.
Wizard modes:
If I remember correctly, both pins have 2 wizard modes. Battle Royale (SM) is the easiest of all the wizard modes to attain. Danger room (XMEN) next - and is a bad ass mode. Super hero is the next hardest and is considered one of the best wizard modes in pinball, probably a top 5. Dark Phoenix being the next hardest and is cool too but not as good as SH or DR.
All in all, while XMEN has harder to attain wizard modes I will put both games ball times and progression pretty close to equal (mind you I do play SM with lightning flippers and no center post).
SM has been proven, as the ratings show, to be one of steve Ritchie's best and Lyman's best. Though with TWD and AC/DC codecs, SM has slid down Lyman's amazing list of all star coded games, but it is still up there as one of his better games.
XMEN is waisons first shot at pinball coding. It wasn't til Lonnie stepped in and saved him with danger room rules to help push that game up. But still, as cool as all the multiball starts are in this pin, the mb completions do not feel, well.... completed.
Bottom line - TLDR; XMEN is good. It's just not SM good

Glad to see you finally appreciate SM. I recall when you didn't. You really have me intrigued by this "remove the center post/put on lightening flippers" and the game is brand new opinion. I would LOVE a good reason to repurchase SM, a game I've played, and loved, probably more than any other. Can you elaborate on why these changes mean better integration with the code?

Another comment, I owned and loved AC/DC, but I question its superiority to SM. Same with TWD, although I haven't owned that. I have played it, but not enough to immerse myself in the code and therefore understand the game completely. Like a lot of things, I imagine "recency bias" comes into play when judging and ranking games. Maybe AC/DC and TWD are better than SM...but all that means to me is that they must be some of the best freaking games ever made. Because SM is.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh yeah, that reminds me of another reason I hate X-Men...the giant, close to the flippers Wolverine toy is the easiest Multiball of all time ever to start. All you have to do is keep bashing it and eventually you get Multiball. I kept asking Lonnie to change it so that the Wolvie hits light a shot or series of shots that must be completed to start Weapon X Multiball...so it isn't SUCH a gimme. I'm pretty sure the instruction cards actually say those are the rules.
Cue someone saying "then don't hit it" ...lol...sorry, it's a poorly conceived toy and bad rules associated with it.

Not very imaginative rules, I'll grant you that...but it's the same rules to start MB as IronMonger (and Whiplash for that matter) in IM, which works just fine.

You've been Lonnied!

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

TWD (I prefer pro version) is an awesome game due to Lyman's code. It's simply his best coded game. It's a great game but you need an altered sound package (many around, I have one for the premium). The game does suffer slightly to minor design flaws (pops exit is the biggy) and it's a little too bash fest like Metallica (bash drops, bash prison, bash well walker, bash bicycle girl), it's why I prefer the pro over Prem. It's a better pin than SMVE if you like the theme and layout which both are unique. I'd have one instead of GOT or SMVE but wife and toddlers in house trump the theme
AC/DC is another stellar game. The fun factor isn't as good as SMVE though. I had an AC/DC prem awhile ago, it's both great and frustrating - I didn't find it 'fun' in a small lineup. There's only one wizard mode and it's a grind to get to. But I have recently played the pro and thought it was a blast (more so than my premium); so I am contemplating getting a pro vault back in the lineup.
As for SMVE; you know I used to bash SM. The main reason was the movie theme. The characters, sound package, art package just didn't feel like Spider-Man to me. I hated that package, and you know it. I even owned the original twice trying to look past the movie theme package cause the game is great. My other problem with the game is the easy gameplay and long ball times made it feel repetitious, there was no risk/reward to the multiplier or mode completion rules. The code wasn't deep like LOTR, TSPP, or FGY but ball times were. So Removing center post and adding lighting flippers fixed this in a big way. Now there's that element of risk involved. Ball times are shorter which fit the rules better. I've been to super hero 10 times in the 8 mos I owned it with this setup and have completed it twice. But I still haven't got there with good multipliers. And it's seldom I get battle Royale going with the right multipliers - although I did it the other night and blew BR up for 110mil. Whereas on factory settings, I would just shoot at will with all miltopliers lit beating super hero with ease. It's just more fun and having shorter ball times is welcomed. Add in the new comic vault package with color dmd and the game is a winner in my book.
All in all, I'd rate them TWD (pro) > SMVE > AC/DC. But all 3 are stellar in my book. Pick your poison: TWD = a pros pro game but can be very frustrating at times. SMVE is more casual stress free which is the more fun pin of the 3 and a must with the harder setup. AC/DC least fun of the 3 but has amazing elements and is the fastest but also most brutal. Love all 3 of these pins.

I agree that I had some long ass games on SM, but I really enjoyed that. I beat Superhero twice myself, but with the post in and regular flippers. If you were beating it that much than you must be one hell of a player. And I know you're good, but thats downright dominant.

I do loves me a good Lyman rule set, so I guess I'll have to buy TWD at some point and mod the call outs. I've had some fun playing the game on location, but the total package never really grabbed me, which is a bummer because I'm an avid fan of the show. I have a love/hate thing with the ramps (they're just freaking weird).

I'd like to try an XMEN at home someday. If I ever find a killer deal I'll own one.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wrong, all the excellent nuance that makes IM IM is due to Lyman.
Compared to Wolverine -
Iron Monger:
-You have to hit the spinner shots first to battle him
-Monger rises from the playfield, which is cool...Wolverine is always there
-Fighting Monger makes sense thematically...why am I hitting Wolverine, the hero?
-Monger Multiball has that super satisfying Super Jackpot ...the tight shot right up the middle
Whiplash:
-Farther shot, not as much as a gimme
-Has a nice stack strategy by starting War Machine first, then Whiplash.
Overall, IM is a simple game where the code/playfield work perfectly together. X-Men has WAAAAY too much stuff to slog thru which amounts to nothing.

My single point was that you bash away at each to start the MB. There are no locks. You're correct in that you have to hit spinners first to commence the IM bashfest.

I have no clue what to do once Wolverine MB starts. Is it a boring MB with no satisfying objective or payoff shot?

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The reason JK & Gimli work so well...those are gruff & aggressive characters...you know who they are just by their voice...you don't have to see the character, but you know who they are, and their voice can sell excitement. Ernie, while a great actor and a real Ghostbuster...was the "every day joe" of the Ghostbusters. While he had some great lines in the movie (I have seen shit that'll turn you white!), his voice isn't one you hear and think "Excitement/comedy". It's unfortunate they couldn't get Dan Akroyd, as his very unique and manic voice *IS* Ghostbusters, and would have been a far better fit. I cringe when I hear Ernie saying "Tex" in GB pin.
It's also usually the case that a good voice for your adversary makes for better pinball callouts . JK is taunting you. Stephen Lang in Avatar is also taunting you. Karl Urban in ST and Ernie in GB...they're your buddies...and it doesn't work as well. The Klingon in ST, though...while not a celeb (it's one of Stern's programmers), is actually a damn good pinball voice.

Didn't Lonnie talk into a coffee cup and out echo on it for the "super pops" and "super spinner" call outs in TFLE? Some of the worst ever! That's something truly cringy about TFLE. I know your mileage varies!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 25.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.50
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spiderman-vault-vs-xmen-magneto-edition?tu=thefamilyarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.