5%

(194 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20170520235150 (resized).jpg
IMG_0330 (resized).JPG
IMG_0329 (resized).JPG
12027825_10206309623932450_2151872025688564754_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 6 years ago

Xmen blows. Those saying it has deep code don't understand deep code. It has lots of content, but no depth. Just lots of stuff to slog through, but no real point to any of it - none of it connects.

Spider-Man is Lyman shooting on all cylinders & a great Ritchie design. I prefer the orig Spidey, but it's the same game more or less.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

The code could benefit from a last polishing pass.

I think this is important. X-Men may have started the trend of "just about finished but not quite there"....and then abandoned. This trend continues today. Spidey is DONE. Done done done. It's a game. A real game. You'll never have to wish for one last update.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

Agree with RZrider xmen is a shooters pin, with out a doubt will make u a better player, u can't just flail the ball an hope for the best, the shots are so tight u must concentrate, and slow down, but if your on point the combo flow is crazy, Spider-Man is more forgiving an flows like butter, but won't punish you as hard for bricked shots, which casual players find more attractive, very hard choice, can't go wrong either way on this one.

Well, also Spidey has a center post between the flippers. You can remove it if you want more challenge.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It's a tough game, both shot wise and code wise to progress in, but when you do get locked into all the shots - it's a great feeling.

...until Beast or Storm say something lol ...then you want to cease to exist.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The magneto call outs are pretty wretched too especially in multiball. Fix wolverine, the sound package, and polish the unfinished multiballs and the game would be hit. I still agree, underrated, and it's a fun pin to shoot, but those elements I mentioned make me cringe every time I think about getting the pin back in the lineup (and I've owned both the LE and PRO).

It's never getting another update, and everything else is too much work. At the end of the day, if you want a Borg game, there are already other great alternatives.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Looks at my collection
Tron
IM
TWD
Met
XMLE (gone)

See, you know what's up.

Also Lyman, Lyman, Lyman, and Lyman.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Really makes you wonder....is it the programmer or the designer?

Both. The design has to be good (or good enough) to start with, and the programmer has to have a feel for how the code will make those shots fun, satisfying, strategic, work well with the theme, choreograph the light and sound FX, etc.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from lmo:

I still don't know much what the heck I'm shooting for - and I find it a little to heavy in the multi-ball area -

Oh yeah, that reminds me of another reason I hate X-Men...the giant, close to the flippers Wolverine toy is the easiest Multiball of all time ever to start. All you have to do is keep bashing it and eventually you get Multiball. I kept asking Lonnie to change it so that the Wolvie hits light a shot or series of shots that must be completed to start Weapon X Multiball...so it isn't SUCH a gimme. I'm pretty sure the instruction cards actually say those are the rules.

Cue someone saying "then don't hit it" ...lol...sorry, it's a poorly conceived toy and bad rules associated with it.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

This is all true. That's why doing this..

..turns the game into something so much different.

I like mods, but I'd rather Stern make a good toy to begin with...just turns a bad toy into a captive ball. Doesn't change the "Hit 5 times for Multiball" rules.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

You're doing it wrong then. The key is not starting it at all till you have a villains mode commenced. You want to stack Weapon X with Sentinels or Jug (or later in the game Shadow King if you go for a restart). It's easy to start Weapon X right out the gate but if you do it that way you just lost a lot of value by not being able to stack it.

Doing it right or wrong isn't the issue. It's conceptually a horrible toy with horrible multiball start rules attached to it. Most Multiball features on pinball machines have locks. If not, they have virtual locks. Wolverine is just "bash bash start". It sucks. X-Men was the first game programmed by a newb (Waison) ...and it really showed that he had no idea what makes pinball programming PINBALL. Sure, they scrapped most of his ideas and tweaked it - but the game will always have a footprint of how it started. They've never been able to completely erase that. Sure, it's better than how it started...but it will never be a tight cohesive game like Spider-Man or anything programmed by Lyman or Keith.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Just like
Metallica sparky
Metallica coffin
Metallica gravemarker
Tron disc
Aerosmith toybox
Walking Dead prison
Walking Dead "Well-verine"
AC/DC Album (bash drops)
AC/DC Jam (bash 8 Ramps)
AC/DC Tour (bash loops)
Man, those all suck too!

You're stretching.

Almost every single of one those is a farther/harder shot, an actual COOL toy, or has rules associated with it that make it connect with other aspects of the game. Wolverine does nothing except start Weapon X over and over.

Wellverine & prison are horrible toys too, but have Lyman rules wrapped around them.

Also you don't "bash" ramps, drops or loops.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Not very imaginative rules, I'll grant you that...but it's the same rules to start MB as IronMonger (and Whiplash for that matter) in IM, which works just fine.
You've been Lonnied!

Wrong, all the excellent nuance that makes IM IM is due to Lyman.

Compared to Wolverine -

Iron Monger:
-You have to hit the spinner shots first to battle him
-Monger rises from the playfield, which is cool...Wolverine is always there
-Fighting Monger makes sense thematically...why am I hitting Wolverine, the hero?
-Monger Multiball has that super satisfying Super Jackpot ...the tight shot right up the middle

Whiplash:
-Farther shot, not as much as a gimme
-Has a nice stack strategy by starting War Machine first, then Whiplash.

Overall, IM is a simple game where the code/playfield work perfectly together. X-Men has WAAAAY too much stuff to slog thru which amounts to nothing.

#108 6 years ago

I have no clue what to do once Wolverine MB starts. Is it a boring MB with no satisfying objective or payoff shot?

If I remember correctly, it's hit all the lit shots and then the final one is Super Jackpot. Each shot results in him killing someone on the DMD...final shot, he escapes. I remember it being fairly easy to just keep it going for quite some time, and ending it on purpose quite often...but then a few more "accidental" hits to Wolvie, you're back in it again. Iron Monger is so much more satisfying...you battle him, he lowers into the playfield, revealing the tight Super Jackpot shot.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

Don't wait to get a deal on one. Seriously, early code hurt the rating of X-Men. It is a top 10 machine. Especially the LE.
Get one before they are too hot!

ROTFL.

Too funny. Look, glad you enjoy it - but its reputation was fairly earned and baked in the cake. It's not gonna swing upward at this point.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Funny how xmen wasnt well received upon release, kinda like that bs cartoon family guy...

Oh hai troll.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

That was kinda funny, cause it's true (except the "bs" part).

It's a false equivalency in an attempt to insult me. Sorry, didn't work. The show is watched by millions. Pinball machines are played by a micro percentage of the population and ratings/resale are determined by an even smaller percentage.

FG always did well - but when it first aired it was up against Survivor and Friends and no one could beat those in the ratings. DVD sales proved the fanbase was always there and passionate - the rest is history.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I just thought it was a joke.

There are a faction of people here who, for some reason, think it's clever and cute to take personal jabs at me...like I need to justify my career or be ashamed of it or something. They usually end up on my ignore list.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I was doing cartwheels when his call outs and all the others were replaced. Apples vs oranges

Why? Awesome call outs by real actors got replaced by horribly written and voiced callouts that almost ruin an amazing game.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Because actors dont always make the best pinball call outs. Im not going to bite too hard on this argument cause i know a lot of people like the original call outs - i dont. I think the new ones are great and really make the game feel like a spider-man comic themed game. I didn't like the movie themed call outs nor the actors portraying comic heroes both times i owned the original.

JK Simmons is an incredible actor and did a fantastic job on Spider-Man.

"Here's the headline!: TERRIBLE PINBALL PLAYER TERRORIZES ARCADE!"

Even the clips worked great. Willem Dafoe's laughs and taunts are perfect.

SMv voices aren't as bad as X-Men, that's for sure...they just present a really random and poorly written narrative, and Spider-Man sounds super derpy. "I'll never look at a Sand Castle the same way again derp derp derp!"

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Agree. One. Thousand. Percent.
JK's callouts are fantastic. Some actors don't work for me. I don't like Ernie Hudson's on GB. But second to LOTR callouts, I love SM the most.

The reason JK & Gimli work so well...those are gruff & aggressive characters...you know who they are just by their voice...you don't have to see the character, but you know who they are, and their voice can sell excitement. Ernie, while a great actor and a real Ghostbuster...was the "every day joe" of the Ghostbusters. While he had some great lines in the movie (I have seen shit that'll turn you white!), his voice isn't one you hear and think "Excitement/comedy". It's unfortunate they couldn't get Dan Akroyd, as his very unique and manic voice *IS* Ghostbusters, and would have been a far better fit. I cringe when I hear Ernie saying "Tex" in GB pin.

It's also usually the case that a good voice for your adversary makes for better pinball callouts . JK is taunting you. Stephen Lang in Avatar is also taunting you. Karl Urban in ST and Ernie in GB...they're your buddies...and it doesn't work as well. The Klingon in ST, though...while not a celeb (it's one of Stern's programmers), is actually a damn good pinball voice.

#139 6 years ago

Didn't Lonnie talk into a coffee cup and out echo on it for the "super pops" and "super spinner" call outs in TFLE? Some of the worst ever! That's something truly cringy about TFLE. I know your mileage varies!

Hahahah...oh yeah, I forgot about that lol. The custom Megatron and Starscream in TF were pretty good, tho...but Optimus and the Super callouts were bad.

David Thiel & his wife did the custom stuff in Tron and it came out really good!

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Just played a game of my Baywatch and Hasselhoff is pretty terrific with his custom callouts in the game.

My favorite thing is the use of "Baywatch will be right back" lol ....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 25.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spiderman-vault-vs-xmen-magneto-edition?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.