(Topic ID: 79344)

Spiderman, upgrade LEDs should I buy a kit or individual bulbs?

By rai

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-284.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I just got a nice Spiderman, had some LEDs but with ghosting issues.

I wanted to upgrade the inserts at least. I was looking at the Cointaker SM Kit with non ghosting upgrade it's over $200, would I be better off ordering a handful of different colors and DIY my own kit?

If so does anyone have a good color suggestion or buy order I could use?

#2 10 years ago

My murders row

image-284.jpgimage-284.jpg

#3 10 years ago

That is one beautiful row of pins Rai. Rate your top 3 from that group

#4 10 years ago

Have to say:

Tron (Best overall, looks, fun, rules, speed, sound)
    STLE (Best looking, best lights by far)
    ACDC premium (Fun!! great rules, holding it back is that darn cannon which I think blocks the in/out lanes too much)

(I play AcDc the most right now)

I just got SM, so I am not sure what the heck is going on, I just got it today so that's impossible to say where it will end up.

#5 10 years ago

bump

#6 10 years ago

I just did my BSM with LED's. Has cheap leds.

Had ghosting and the strobing drove me nuts!

Get basic LED's and put in LEDOCD.com board. Best $129 I ever spent!

10 minute install.

#7 10 years ago

Hand pick'm, mang! You get custom lighting at had the price.
    Im about to led a spidey too. Is the ghosting really that bad?

Im going with: http://www.cometpinball.com/
    Ive had nothing but amazing customer service from them, and havent spent a cent yet.

Quoted from sepins:

10 minute install.

I was going to go this route afterwards if i found that i still had issues even though im buying the non ghosting/strobing/flicking bulbs for the main ones withd dim features.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Hand pick'm, mang! You get custom lighting at had the price.
    Im about to led a spidey too. Is the ghosting really that bad?
    Im going with: http://www.cometpinball.com/
    Ive had nothing but amazing customer service from them, and havent spent a cent yet.

I was going to go this route afterwards if i found that i still had issues even though im buying the non ghosting/strobing/flicking bulbs for the main ones withd dim features.

Difference unreal with LEDOCD board.

Cheap leds and no strobing or no ghosting!

And really no need to download the software as setting Harold has on Spidey is perfect!

#9 10 years ago

We just did a spiderman kit from pinballBulbs and were Very impressed. They give you a few extra things in the kits more then the others and it really completes the game.

#10 10 years ago

If you're doing Cointaker, get 2-LED Premiums for the inserts.

Cool white for white, blue, green inserts
    Warm white for yellow, orange, red inserts
    Pink for Battle Royale insert
    Color changer for Super Hero insert

These will really bring out the vibrancy of the insert colors. I'm not a fan of color matching because the blue is just TOO BLUE an the green turns more of a forest green...I like the 'emerald' look of a green insert with a cool white under it & "sky blue" of a cool white under a blue insert. IMO, red literally does nothing to red inserts...might as well just use warm whites to keep it simple. Yellow LEDs look orange - warm white will make the insert a more distinct yellow compared to orange inserts. Orange LEDs are kinda dim, actually - so again, that's why I use warm white.

If any of the inserts seem too bright, just paint the top with a white paint pen and it will look perfect. Some will say use frosted, but I find that the frosted cap changes the color temperature a bit....I like the Prem 2-LEDs the best.

#11 10 years ago

Good info, thanks!

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

We just did a spiderman kit from pinballBulbs and were Very impressed. They give you a few extra things in the kits more then the others and it really completes the game.

This is good to hear, I ordered a set. They say it comes with full instructions what goes where. Also, supposed to have additional GI lights good since I prefer to play in dim room.

#13 10 years ago

I will say do individual bulbs. My uncle recently picked up his first pin (a FT) and the game came with a LED kit. Every led is an ultra-bright. Way too bright, and he doesn't like how it looks. He is dropping off the game to be shopped and fixed up to his liking. (so I may have a crap-ton of LEDs to trade soon)

LED selection is a personal thing, and what one person likes you may hate, and vice-versa. Look at friend's games, see what you like, and go from there.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from sepins:

10 minute install.

agreed, just installed in my SM tonight. No more flicker, niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.....

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from ritewhereiwant2b:

agreed, just installed in my SM tonight. No more flicker, niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.....

Oh yeah, I forgot about the multi dim levels on Spidey's villain inserts. Yeah - OCD is prob the way to go on that game if it solves that issue.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spiderman-upgrade-leds-should-i-buy-a-kit-or-individual-bulbs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.