Spiderman shaker motor help!

By Scarpie

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Hello fellow pinballers I recently installed a shakermotor on my Stern spiderman.I have been chasing a noise problem for 3 days.I have used thin weather stripping to eliminate rattle from the backbox and playfield glass as well.The shaker is now quiet until you start hitting Sandman and really get the shaker going.The noise is coming from the lower left front of cabinet right by the shaker to me it sounds like the motor is vibrating the bottom and left side of the cabinet together where it is glued/assembled.Is it at all possible that I could have gotten a bad or defective shaker motor,any help would be greatly apprecieated.

#2 12 years ago

Is it a whistling sound? It could be the motor itself. Mine makes some sound but really doesn't bother me that much. I have heard of others having this same issue as well but it is not a rattling sound as far as mine goes. Did you put some locktite on the screws as the install instructions suggested? If you did that it is not likely to be the source of your problem.

#3 12 years ago

It is not a whistling sound but more of a sound of something vibrating.I did use loctite as well and still getting the vibration noise.thanks for the help.

#4 12 years ago

Can you test the shaker motor with the play field up? Give the machine a good shaking with it turned off and listen for any noise coming from the cabinet joints and leg mounts...

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from Scarpie:

The noise is coming from the lower left front of cabinet right by the shaker to me it sounds like the motor is vibrating the bottom and left side of the cabinet together where it is glued/assembled.

You also might want to make sure it is none of the wiring/connectors rattling on the inside of the cabinet. I know there are a bunch right in that area.

#6 12 years ago

Loose play field plastic???

#7 12 years ago

Is the game level side to side?

#8 12 years ago

At jrrdw,I will try that thanks,I am covinced that the noise is coming from where the sides are mated with the bottom of the cabinet.Shaker shaking bottom of cabinet left to right producing noise?

At The_Dude_Abides,I actually used some wire ties to solve this problem.Thanks though.

Thanks for all the input so far keep it coming I know somebody will have an idea that I have not tried yet.

#9 12 years ago

If that is the case you can get a ratchet strap put it around the cabinet and see if it stops...

#10 12 years ago

Did you know the balls will rattle in the ball trough??? Maybe that is what you are hearing.

#11 12 years ago

The one I had (have) is a deep rattle...it almost sounds like it hits a resonance that rattles something substantial. I can't track it either. I don't think its the back board or cable bundle. It sort of sounds on the left side but ... ????

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

I don't think its the back board or cable bundle.

I did have to put in some paper as filler to secure the backglass as it was rattling pretty good before I secured it a bit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.95
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spiderman-shaker-motor-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.