(Topic ID: 95107)

Spiderman (sandman, three bank target, doc ock issue)

By damionrowe

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Andydn
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Hoping someone else has had this issue and that there is a quick fix.

When I'm playing my Stern Spidey when the 3 bank, sandman, and doc ock figures/targets are supposed to move down during regular gameplay, sometimes they move back up and then down again, some times repeating this process twice. Like I said hopefully a quick fix.

Thanks in advance

#2 9 years ago

Best thing to check first is probably the switch test on each one to make sure the up and down switches are registering on each one. Diagnostics, Game and then Doc Ock , Sandman and the Sandman 3 bank are listed.

#3 9 years ago

Great. I'll give that a go. Does anyone know the corresponding connectors in the back box. I want to try reseating.

Thx

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from damionrowe:

Great. I'll give that a go. Does anyone know the corresponding connectors in the back box. I want to try reseating.
    Thx

Doc Ock up and down is board connection J8, Sandman up and down is J9 and the 3 bank up and down is J7.

It seems weird that all 3 would behave this way. They all use separate connections, have separate motors and use different switches to detect it they are in their up or down positions.

#5 9 years ago

I have a shaker motor set on high. I'm hoping it is a quick easy fix. I'll try reseating. They worked fine in test mode.

#6 9 years ago

I also have LEDs. Not sure if that would effect the opto's.

6 years later
    #7 3 years ago

Did you ever resolve this? I’m having an issue where doc oc will go up and down several times during a game and not down all the way at times. Other times it works snd functions as normal.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Alaskanzen:

Did you ever resolve this? I’m having an issue where doc oc will go up and down several times during a game and not down all the way at times. Other times it works snd functions as normal.

I had this problem. Go into diag-game specific and test the motors for each toy doing this and verify that it registers in both the up and down position (multiple times). For me, the switch for the down position on the sandman wasn’t getting pressed when he went down so the motor would go back up and try again (and again...).

1 year later
    #9 1 year ago

I’m having this issue now. Up and Down limit switches work all the time in test mode.
    During a game the Sandbank or Doc Oc will lower & raise 2 or 3 times before stopping in correct position, Sandman does this occasionally too!
    Disabled shaker, disconnected optos, reseated connections - does anyone have a solution to this please?

#10 1 year ago

During a game, when the sandbank drops, it sometimes rises & lowers again (sometimes twice) before stopping in the correct position. Doc Oc & Sandman both sometimes do this too. Whenever this happens they always eventually stop in the expected position.
    This NEVER happens at the end of a game when the three mechs mentioned rehome themselves. It NEVER happens in test mode either, only ever during a game.

All three of these mechs are on the same switch row. They have individual up/down switches, relays and motors.

All up & down limit switches & diodes have been tested and checked (one switch replaced). Opto board swapped (doc Oc Opto is on the same row). Power board in backbox swapped with my Metallica one. Ribbon cable for switch return swapped. Software reinstalled…., issue still remains!
    Extensively activated switches in test mode and it never results in a whole row or column triggering.
    Reseated connectors and used IDC tool to give relevant cables a little push.
    Spent hours looking at switches, referencing the manual and it seems all wiring is correct and all diodes the right way round.
    There are no cables limiting the movement of these mechs and nothing blocking their path top side either.

It can play perfectly for a few games and then it happens again. Unable to replicate it by vibration or banging the playfield.

It seems that it occasionally the up or down limit switch is being triggered but somehow ignored until the 2nd or 3rd pass?

Any ideas are more than welcome as I have run out!

#11 1 year ago

SOMEONE HELP!!

1 week later
    #12 1 year ago

Bumpy bumpy bump bump

1 week later
    #13 1 year ago

UPDATE:
    In case anyone comes across this thread looking for a resolution to this issue - after changing switches, diodes, optos, opto boards, connectors and swapping driver boards I now think this is just an issue that exists within the software.
    I have tried another pin, spoken to other owners and also watched (lots) of SM gameplay on YouTube - doing this I have found several SM pins that have the same issue but so far NONE that don’t exhibit the same behaviour (that being mainly the Sandbank occasionally moving down/up then down again when it should just go down - or vice versa too).

First thing to check it that the switches are being triggered - easy to do in test mode. But if the issue is intermittent I believe there’s no fix

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spiderman-sandman-three-bank-target-doc-ock-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.