image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Some of you remember last June when I was a brand new newbie who had just gotten my first pin. You all warned me that they multiplied, and also that the fever was contagious. Well, you were right!!! My mom caught the fever, and between the two families we are now up to EIGHT! (Technically the Twin Win is the red headed stepchild that gets locked in my parents basement, and they have had it for years, but we've procurred SEVEN in less than a year.)

This past weekend was the open house for the local pin shop, Chattanooga Pinball. They had a Christmas Day fire and just got their new showroom ready to go. So of course the entire family (me, husband, mom, dad) had to go check it out. We played the games on the floor, we checked out Hercules, we argued over which pin was the best. We got the full tour of the place, and while in the back we saw some of the fire victims sitting all sad and blackened. They are being restored as time allows (a nice STTNG was bought that day and is getting its makeover now) and some are already restored on the floor looking great. Husband spotted a toasty Spiderman in the corner, and the owner Dale hooked me up with a super duper deal on it. I wasn't really looking for a Spiderman, but I couldn't turn it down. We were wanting a TOM for our anniversary, but SM will do just fine, and now we get to love on it and bring it back to life. So now, after 11 months of learning about pinball machines, we're going to tackle our very first restoration and tear-down! I'm both excited and nervous, but think it will at least be a journey. Hopefully a fun one.

Dale has kindly offered up his ionizer room and helped me get the very few parts I need to make it pretty, and when we're done it will be gorgeous except for one little "beauty mark" where it got flame kissed. And since I (for now) have no intentions of swapping/selling it, I don't care about the cabinet looking perfect.

The good: it boots right up, it has the full LED kit already installed, it is 100% complete, and it's a freaking Spiderman.

The bad: the left side of the cabinet is scorched (and no decals available as of right now,) the speaker panel got scorched but I have another to swap it out, the trim around the head got a little melty but Dale is getting replacement trim for me (possbily a pretty red,) the glass/rails/lockbar have scratches from the ceiling collapsing but can be repaired or replaced, and the tournament things on top of the backbox are very well done, but I'm just going to take them off anyway.

My dad handled procurement today since I have to work during their business hours, and he's already set up a "redneck ionizer" for the time being until we can get it to my house on Saturday and start the cleaning process. Now I've got to figure out how to put 4 pins in a '3 pin' room. What an awful predicament.

#2 11 years ago

Pics:

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 11 years ago

I love following these projects...

#4 11 years ago

I just spotted Twin Win behind Spidey in one pic. Now they can chat with each other.

Also, dad bought a pin lift table hauler thingy because apparently we're so pin crazy we needed one. Any excuse for another tool I guess. image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Awesome score! I'd take a project for the right price over a fully operational one at some of today's inflated prices any day!

#6 11 years ago

Keep the burn mark! The story and "character" are worth more than a perfect cabinet will ever be. Best of luck with the project!

#7 11 years ago

I have been assured by a few people that I got a very very good deal. If I can get it up and operational with my extra parts and current cleaning supplies (and husband won't start buying mods just yet) we'll have less in it that I have in my JP. Score!

#8 11 years ago

Very cool! Every redneck needs a good pick up truck

You will love Spidey...

#9 11 years ago

Dad loves his $500 pickup truck. It lived at a nuclear powerplant for most of its life, the doors don't match the rest of the truck, and it maxes out at about 65 MPH. I'm suprised that it doesn't glow in the dark. We haul everything in it, including lots of pins lately.

Now he also loves his pinball mover cart. It's also a "redneck ionizer" (fan) holder for now. Multipurpose.

I hope I love Spidey. I've never even played one. But it is #7 on the list and for some reason Spiderman was yesterday's flavor of the day on thread topics, so I learned quite a lot. Apparently it has flow and lots of available mods.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Dad loves his $500 pickup truck. It lived at a nuclear powerplant for most of its life, the doors don't match the rest of the truck, and it maxes out at about 65 MPH. I'm suprised that it doesn't glow in the dark. We haul everything in it, including lots of pins lately.
Now he also loves his pinball mover cart. It's also a "redneck ionizer" (fan) holder for now. Multipurpose.
I hope I love Spidey. I've never even played one. But it is #7 on the list and for some reason spiderman was yesterday's flavor of the day on thread topics, so I learned quite a lot. Apparently it has flow and lots of available mods.

Best Stern ever made IMHO! I love my routed example so much I already have a NOS, cleared PF to swap into mine. This is a worthy project IMHO, good luck!

#11 11 years ago

Hey,

The left side goes against the wall! Done and done...

Luke

#12 11 years ago

More pics after I got my hands on it today. Bringing it home on Sat to clean up. It has NO smoke smell, so we wont even need the ozone room. Woo hoo!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 11 years ago

More pics.

#14 11 years ago

Also found out it is a 2007 model with metal apron.

#15 11 years ago

More pics.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 11 years ago

And some love for Twin Win, since she is neglected in the basement but represented in my avatar pic.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#17 11 years ago

Stern still has last I checked (9 months ago) Spidey Cabs. I would call Pat powers and ask and tell him the story. You might be surprised.

#18 11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I may have to check that out. I've never called Stern before, might as well start now.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Stern still has last I checked (9 months ago) Spidey Cabs. I would call Pat powers and ask and tell him the story. You might be surprised.

That's not a shabby idea. Pat's super-nice and always willing to help out.

#20 11 years ago

Yer machine's lookin' good, BT!

#21 11 years ago

Nice pick up Blondie and good luck on your restoration!SM is the best!!

#22 11 years ago

If Stern still has those cabs I want it back HAHAHA just kidding but let me know and order it thru me and I will handle it for you at our price and take care of shipping. We get really good discounts on shipping

#23 11 years ago

Thanks Dale, I really appreciate it! I think we're going to fix it up and play it for awhile before even worrying about the cabinet, but I'll try to contact them this weekend to see what they say. I have no clue how to do a cabinet swap anyway.

My parents are trying to convince me that I should take Twin Win home and leave Spiderman there for them, after I clean it up and get it playable of course. Silly parents. Mom was all "Ooh, I like the music. It kinda rocks out. And it's pretty...."

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

but I'll try to contact them this weekend to see what they say

monday - friday 9am-5pm

[email protected] (from stern's website page)

708.345.7700 hit pound (#) and then start to type in POWERS, the voice in the box will ask you if you mean Patrick and you will hit pound (#) again. that will take you to his line.

good luck.

i would love to get a spidey some day.

#25 11 years ago

Thank you nmeun!!! I had no clue where to even start looking besides the main Stern #.

#26 11 years ago

Should of seen your Mom rocking out to AC DC when we unboxed it

#27 11 years ago

Oh I'm sure she was checking it out. She likes the ones that rock out. Her favorite thing about Frankenstein is that she can select the Edgar Winter's music on it.

This is dad's "new and improved redneck ionizer." It didn't smell at all last night after a day of the fan being on it, but had a very faint smell this morning. So he's got a little help from Scentsy today. image.jpgimage.jpg

#28 11 years ago

Here are the decals including the backboard decal that looks burned up in your pictures:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1032

Sandman plastic that is broken in your picture:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1348

An make sure to get the pinbits protector set.

#29 11 years ago

Thanks DCFan, I appreciate it. I can't tell if the backboard decal was burnt in the fire or if it was burnt from previous use with the original bulbs, because it's very uniform around each individual bulb and nothing in the backbox area looks singed otherwise. They had replaced the original bulbs with a new LED kit and all the lights work just fine, so I assume that a new decal will make it good as new back there.

Does the protector set just go over the existing plastics? I looked it over last night and everything looks fine except that Sandman clear piece you mentioned, so I'd like to keep it that way.

#30 11 years ago

Not to be mean but that's the worst condition sm I've seen I hope you bring spidie back to its form and glory

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Thanks DCFan, I appreciate it. I can't tell if the backboard decal was burnt in the fire or if it was burnt from previous use with the original bulbs, because it's very uniform around each individual bulb and nothing in the backbox area looks singed otherwise. They had replaced the original bulbs with a new LED kit and all the lights work just fine, so I assume that a new decal will make it good as new back there.
Does the protector set just go over the existing plastics? I looked it over last night and everything looks fine except that Sandman clear piece you mentioned, so I'd like to keep it that way.

The plastic protectors go under the original plastics. This set includes the cool webbies that add to the appearance of the slingshots:

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&products_id=252

The spiderman vs. sandman plastic near the pop bumpers is notorious for breaking. Here is how to install the protector for that plastic:

http://mrtn.smugmug.com/Other/Spider-Man-vSandman-Protector/23998011_4R34Lh#!i=1947748609&k=pzGzR6r

#32 11 years ago

Thanks again DCFAN!

Pinballgeek- I certainly hope that I can. It's actually not nearly as bad as it could have been. Some of the other pins in the fire were totally destroyed, and a few had their glass bust and the playfields are solid black from soot and/or covered in collapsed ceiling tiles. Spidey got lucky just being flame-kissed up the side. The playfield wiped clean with just Windex on a paper towel, so when we start the teardown this Saturday I'll be able to clean more with my pin maintenance kit and some Novus.

#33 11 years ago

Blondetall, since it looks like you probably need a new DMD cover, I would get the red one from pinbits. That is what I put on my game anyway:

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&products_id=451

Also, don't let anybody get you discouraged. I think the game looks like it has a ton of potential and if you got a good deal and can get a new cabinet from Stern, you will end up with a $5000+ game.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

That is normal for a routed Spider-Man using the incandescent bulbs mine looks similar. That reminds me I need to buy a set for myself.

#35 11 years ago

Thanks for letting me know that was normal metahugh. I chalked it up to fire damage, then got to thinking it was awfully specific around the bulbs and the new bulbs weren't touched, so good to know that area should be fine with a new decal.

DC- I'm not discouraged. I'm actually super excited now that I've got my hands on it at my parents house and saw that the machine itself is basically fine. The computer tests out with no issues, the sound is great, the smoke smell isn't going to even be an issue soon, and everything else is just cosmetic and cleaning. I probably could have played it except that I'm afraid of all the dirt and soot down in the moving parts and don't want to damage those. Plus we didn't buy it to resell, so if it's not perfect we'll still love it.

Dale gave us a plastic piece that goes over the DMD from another game, but I may go ahead and get the red one and give him that one back since I know he can use it. I've got to figure out the best way to clean up the panel itself, and I think I saw spider decals to put over the speakers that may hide some of the damage if I can't get them totally clean.

#36 11 years ago

I think it's cool with the cabinet the way it is. Always have a good story to tell then. I like a nice playfield but haven't figured out how to playa cabinet yet.

#37 11 years ago

Come by the store and I will give you a cleaner that will work to clean that playfield it will make your life a lot easier

#38 11 years ago

Also if you cannot get the odor out I have a new fogger coming and a chemical that will do it for sure

#39 11 years ago

The middle playfield wiped right off with Windex and paper towels that dad had in the garage, and I've got Novus 1,2,3 at home that should do the trick. The only thing I'm concerned about are the metal guards on the ramps, but I'll see what those do when we get it home and I can work on it. I'll definitely let you know about the cleaner and the odor though, and really appreciate your help.

#40 11 years ago

How did that sm get into the state it's in

#41 11 years ago

I saw you posted in the predator thread about shaker motors. I really enjoy having one in my SM. Once you get yours fixed up, it's surely something to consider. Good luck with your restoration, will be fun to watch.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

How did that sm get into the state it's in

Dragons. Pinball hating dragons.

#43 11 years ago

Pinballgeek- It was in a warehouse fire.

Sammiesguys- Thanks for letting me know. We've got JP with one, and nothing else has it, and it always feels like something is missing. We're looking at all the mods and protection things for Spidey, but trying to just get it running properly for now without spending a ton on other things. Shaker motor is on the "things we want to buy for it" list though.

#44 11 years ago

Oooohh TOASTY!

GLWTR! Spidey is one cool fellar.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Dale gave us a plastic piece that goes over the DMD from another game, but I may go ahead and get the red one and give him that one back since I know he can use it. I've got to figure out the best way to clean up the panel itself, and I think I saw spider decals to put over the speakers that may hide some of the damage if I can't get them totally clean.

For the chrome speaker grills, if you cannot clean them up you can buy them and they are fairly easy to install:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MC-535-8081-04

#46 11 years ago

Bring in the ramps and I will fix them for you

#47 11 years ago

Update after day 1 of cleaning. We are waiting on decals, plastics, cab protectors, plastic protectors, etc from 3 different companies, so working on the outside for now. Cabinet was scraped and cleaned, legs washed and painted, melted tournament brackets removed. Speaker panel was disassembled, scraped, painted, reassembled. Translite cleaned, still needs a little work but ok for just our use. Back box cleaned out with air compressor, coin door cleaned up. Still a ways to go but progress has been made.

#48 11 years ago

Pictures. (Notice our helper dogs in the background.)

#49 11 years ago

More pics, before and after.

#50 11 years ago

Woo hoo! About 8 hours of work, some spray paint, a new decal, and lots of elbow grease, it is done. We officially played our first games tonight, and I have no clue what I am doing but it is fun. Just have to get the trim for the backbox and it will be together, then waiting on the plastic protectors and Back Alley sling plastics to make it complete.
Money-wise all we've bought for it were cabinet protectors, back decal, plastic protectors, prettier sling plastics, new balls, new rubbers, and a can of spray paint. It already had the Cointaker LED kit inatalled. There are a few scuffs on the right side of the cabinet, and of course the flame path on the left side, but it gives it character.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 25.50
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.95
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spiderman-blackened-edition-a-restoration-journey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.