SM_,_New_Leds_and_Mods_001.JPG
IMG_0498.jpg
Spidey.gif
SM_spidie_sense.gif
SM_sexy.jpg
SM.gif
Screen_Shot_2012-09-20_at_9.52.46_PM.png
popcorn.gif
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

Spent the day off motorcycle riding and then playing pinball. Just realized I played 5 out of 6 tables all day. SM just sat. So I fired it up. maybe its just me but as crazy as it sounds I even like TF better.
Starting to think I should trade it for an IM or sell for a WOZ or Kiss.
I am probably the only person not wowed by it.
Graphics are a big turn off too.
Am I the only one?

#2 11 years ago

Not the only one, but definitely the minority.

#3 11 years ago

I am not a fan either. I will not list my reasons here for fear of being shot.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

fear of being shot.

nah, different taste. I love Ritchie but the feel and again the screen shots suck for me. Luckily if I decide to move it there are many fans. Going to break into a bottle of Toro Spanish red and play 5-10 games and decide.

#5 11 years ago

I think SM is a good game, but it is seriously overrated.

#6 11 years ago

I like it, but I get tired of shooting Doc Ock. The ramp modes and infinite combos are fun though.

#7 11 years ago

Fun game, I enjoyed it while I had it, after a year I was ready to move on and sold it. While I wouldn't mind getting another someday, there's a lot of games out there that I haven't tried so it will stay on the "been there, done that" list for me personally while I try/conquer other games.

#8 11 years ago

Not everyone will like every pin. It is a classic for sure and many myself included love it but hey if its not your cup of tea at least there are many other machines to give your attention to.

#9 11 years ago

Really an amazing game. my #1. everyones got different tastes.

i'd go for im. sounds like you need more of a bash game

#10 11 years ago

Been there done that.. Not sure why it gets the fan fare it does...

#11 11 years ago

Great Steve Ritchie pin.

#12 11 years ago

I love it for how it rewards both novice and expert strategies greatly. The novice can stack a couple multiballs and hit balls around and bash sandman and goblin and get tons and tons of points, while the expert can get a shot doubled for the ball, get one multi, get the other almost ready, and then hit controlled shots like ramps for jackpots all day until the end, then start up your almost ready multi and start working on getting your other multi almost ready again. Experts can play multiball forever, and I love it. Also, they avoided using Peter Parker's annoying actor's face or voice, and gave it a mostly comic book look.

#13 11 years ago

Don't worry. I feel the same way about everyone's beloved AC/DC.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Don't worry. I feel the same way about everyone's beloved AC/DC.

Me too.

#15 11 years ago

The only game that even matters is TF

#16 11 years ago

Shaker motor should be here soon. Maybe that and focusing on it more will help.

#17 11 years ago

I have a really nice HUO LOTR if you'd be interested in a trade. Has new shaker motor and McKeee topper.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from EmptyLogic:

The only game that even matters is TF

Lol ok

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Spent the day off motorcycle riding and then playing pinball. Just realized I played 5 out of 6 tables all day. SM just sat. So I fired it up. maybe its just me but as crazy as it sounds I even like TF better.
Am I the only one?

You are not alone. Thank you for posting this. I loved SM on location, but it did not last long In a HUO environment. It gets boring quick and the theme/graphics are a big turn off as well in a HUO. Funny about your TF comment; my TFLE is 2 mos away from surpassing the longevity of when I owned SM, and I have way more plays on TF than I did sm.

#20 11 years ago

Lol....lol ok

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You are not alone. Thank you for posting this. I loved SM on location, but it did not last long In a HUO environment. It gets boring quick and the theme/graphics are a big turn off as well in a HUO. Funny about your TF comment; my TFLE is 2 mos away from surpassing the longevity of when I owned SM, and I have way more plays on TF than I did sm.

That's ok, fast flowing high action games aren't for everyone. (:

#22 11 years ago

lol

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

#23 11 years ago

I owned SM for a week.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I owned SM for a week.

Congratulations!

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Congratulations!

It's good but not that good. After I got rid of it I played it again at a local movie joint. First game I was sorry I got rid of it but after a second I walked away from it leaving credits.

#26 11 years ago

I'm not a huge fan either. I had it for a month and traded it. It's a good game but not in my top 10.

#27 11 years ago

Love my SM.

My 5 favorite Sterns in order: TRON LE, ACDC PREM, TSPP, SM, FGY.

The only other Sterns I'm interested in picking up are BBH & WOF.

#28 11 years ago

FUnny that this came up. I played it today at lunch, and while it isn't a well maintained game, it was decent. After 2 games, I wasn't longing for more. I'll give it a other shot this week though.

#29 11 years ago

I've played it on location only, but quite a bit. That was enough for me, and that's too bad, as I really like the theme.

#30 11 years ago

Different strokes for different folks. SM is currently in my top 3 ever, but I don't really get the love TZ gets personally. It's all personal taste and all good. If you aren't diggin' it get something else that you do dig!

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

VisitorQ said:

I owned SM for a week.

Congratulations!

LOL!

#32 11 years ago

I thought I wanted a SM due to hype, spent time on it, decided to just play the one @ CP Pinball instead of buying one.

It's a great game & I play it often but it's not a "purchase" for me.

No matter, I see LOTR in people's "Owned in the past" list & wonder what they were smoking/thinking but that's just how it is.

#33 11 years ago

Sold mine, but it hurt. Was upset to see it go. Theme, flow, and humor really were good. Only thing that I really didn't care for were the DMD movie animations. I'm not a fan of watching movie clips in orange.

I totally get not liking a pin other people love, hobbies are built on different opinions. It is actually great news for you that many other people don't share your opinion. When you go to sell the machine, it shouldn't be too hard to find a buyer, and it has appreciated since it came out. Better than having a pin nobody likes.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

That's ok, fast flowing high action games aren't for everyone. (:

Overrated games aren't for everyone either

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Overrated games aren't for everyone either

Like X-Men?

#36 11 years ago

Sm shouldn't get bashed. I mean, I'd own one for sure for the right money. I think it would play better and look better in a well kept env.

#37 11 years ago

Not a fan either.

#38 11 years ago

I own SM, and is SM my favorite game? No. But it is a very solid title. And frankly when you compare it to some other games selling for $4k and over from Stern and Williams (POTC, BDK, TOTAN, TOM, etc) it's a much better game than those. One thing that's critical for SM is the shaker motor, if you've only played one without it then you're definitely missing a huge part of the game.

It was probably the best overall Stern game until AC/DC came out. It had flow, a great ruleset, wizard and mini wizard modes, etc.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Really an amazing game. my #1. everyones got different tastes.
i'd go for im. sounds like you need more of a bash game

What in the hell is going on today? First you like an insert mod, then you and I agree that SM is our #1 favorite games. I'm thrown off by this as usually I think we disagree more

As for the OP: yes, you're crazy SM is the greatest game ever made. Lyman's best rules + Steve Ritchie flow + incredible mode stacking + one of the greatest wizard modes that very few can achieve. Such a great game.

#40 11 years ago

SM was a strange game for me. In 2007ish I played it a few times and didn't think any thing of it. Then the new code hit and all the hype started. I was able to put a few more games on and still wasn't impressed. Then even MORE hype...I'm like WTF...I'm gonna grab one of these thing and figure out what all the fuss is about.

So I bought one and kept it at my office so I could get a bunch of games on it. About a week or 2 in and 50ish games I still was like..."I don't get it"

It wasn't until I approached the 100 game mark I really started understand the game...and the pure brilliance of the rule set. I'm not sure there's a more action packed game in mode stacking and multi ball stacking. It's a true players game as almost every shot (minus the Green Goblin and Sandman...which are usually 'accidental' multi-ball hits) made has a direct return path to a flipper...even coming out of the pops. Thus if you're 'on' your game and a true shot maker...you are rewarding greatly.

Getting to SuperHero isn't that difficult..I've been there twice in the 150 games before I traded my SM from my office for an X-Men (still got one a SM at home). You make good shots..and you are rewarded with a chance to make yet another good shot..and so on...and so on.

Oh yeah.. and the movie clip animations absolutely blow! Honestly..a alpha-numeric display would be better in this game

#41 11 years ago

I bought one based on all the hype, and I really regret that I fell for it. It doesn't really get played in my collection and there are so many better games out there for the price.

When I have guests over it doesn't get much love either. SM is just a so-so game at best.

#42 11 years ago

I love the flow of that game.Ugliest sling plastics ever.Dots are terrible.Sound is just OK.But the flow is awesome and thats why it gets so much love.I want one.I'm getting a WOZ,if its not a keeper I will dump Dorothy and get with MJ. Scott

#43 11 years ago

Oh man! So close! Thought I was going to get through a whole thread without smassa or RobT throwing on OT dig at X-men. Oh well, maybe next thread

#44 11 years ago

Wow, am I the only one that really likes the sounds and thinks that the DMD animations are fine?

#45 11 years ago

Love my SM (although I am playing Tron, AC/DC, XMen more lately).

My SM has the buildings along with all the other Back Alley Creations Stuff e.t.c. (and is mandatory on this game IMO)

I also have the weird hybrid "Limited Edition" (only 60 or so made) so I can't let mine go. (Webbed siderails, LE Plaque, signed by Gary/Ritchie, Colored Webbies, Shaker Pre-Installed).

Just changed out the slings to the spidey eyes with red/blue led's and I really like it.

Pic does it no justice

// Error: Image 42958 not found //

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Wow, am I the only one that really likes the sounds and thinks that the DMD animations are fine?

I also enjoy the DMD animations and all the sound effects for that matter (vs games like BDK / POTC with really bad voiceovers)

#47 11 years ago

I'm looking for a SM. Somebody hook me up!

#48 11 years ago

I think it's one of Sterns better titles. Owned it for 1 year and got bored. Replaced it with AC/DC premium. Happy with the decision, however my AC/DC isn't nearly as reliable as SM. Stern's build quality unfortunately isn't what it use to be. Two board failures and two canon motor failures in less than 100 plays! I've owned 5 other Sterns (LOTR/TSPP/AP/SM/POTC) and they've been extremely reliable. AC/DC is the first arguable "lemon". Fortunately, Stern has been very supportive and ships out replacement parts in a timely manner (so it's not that big a deal...just frustrating).

#49 11 years ago

Probably not...

Most the newer guys in the hobby are used to Stern's movie clip DMD animations.

Us old timers remember the cooler programmed animations graphics...just adding the movie samples are definitely a step backwards in technology.

All though X-men stuff looks awesome so far...really looking forward to the next rev of the software

Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Am I the only one?

LOL!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 25.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 25.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spiderman%e2%80%a6meh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.