• Spider-Man 61 votes
    51%
  • Spider-Man VE 58 votes
    49%

(119 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200127_202349 (resized).jpg
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I’m a life long Spider-Man fan and have been collecting comics since the 80s. I’m looking at purchasing Spider man. Which one is better and why? Go...I added poll just for fun! Thanx for reading and looking forward to some responses.

#2 3 years ago

original has better toys, but I like the look of the newer one, might switch a few of the toys out, old one is very movie based new one is cartoon base feel to it(I know ultimate spiderman style) comic one you gotta go with the old old one "The Amazing Spider-man". great game and looks sooo much better than these two.

#3 3 years ago

that being said, I have a nice original i would sell for the right price, has Color DMD, and building set,

#4 3 years ago

I personally don’t like the ultimate Spider-Man artwork and the original has better call outs, so original for me.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

original has better toys, but I like the look of the newer one, might switch a few of the toys out, old one is very movie based new one is cartoon base feel to it(I know ultimate spiderman style) comic one you gotta go with the old old one "The Amazing Spider-man". great game and looks sooo much better than these two.

The amazing Spider-Man is on my list for looks for sure. I def considered swapping out toys as they are cheap and readily available. Thanx for the input. Are you willing to ship your game

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I personally don’t like the ultimate Spider-Man artwork and the original has better call outs, so original for me.

You are second person to tell me about better call outs. I have only heard callouts on original as I have never flipped VE

#7 3 years ago

I think the VE is better than the original in all ways except two:

1) Price
2) Callouts

Both of the above combined would have me prefer a really nice original over the VE.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

1) Price
2) Callouts
Both of the above combined would have me prefer a really nice original over the VE.

Quoted from paul_8788:

1) Price
2) Callouts

paul_8788
I’m leaning that way for the two reasons you stated...it was also mentioned to me to use my savings to get some alternate plastics.

#9 3 years ago

Original for me.
Sterns were just overall built better back when Spiderman came out.

#10 3 years ago

Vault is horrible! ^^^^^what this guy said!

#11 3 years ago

I prefer the vault with the comic style art. The movie version clip art package looks like dog shit and was a terrible movie to boot.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from gecko157:

I prefer the vault with the comic style art. The movie version clip art package looks like dog shit and was a terrible movie to boot.

Terrible movie????? Wtf???

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Terrible movie????? Wtf???

The pinball machine is based on the third one which was a bad movie, the first two were great.

#14 3 years ago

Hands down VE.

Comic art is more timeless than the movie version.

VE has the fixed dok ock shot, better magnet, color DMD is awesome on it, better art.

Here's a real depth look at the VE.

I first fell in love with the spider-man machine at pinfest...but never wanted to get it cause of the McGuire trilogy. When they released the VE, I was 100% in because it was comics (X-Men & Deadpool were the correct calls with comic theme over movie theme).

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

The pinball machine is based on the third one which was a bad movie, the first two were great.

Feels like it’s based on all 3 to me?

#16 3 years ago

I personally prefer the original from 2007.In this case, as you are a comic fan, I think the vault version is better for you. I decided to buy the original version because I really liked the movies, it is my favorite character but I never had a lot of fans of comics. the two versions play very well but it is true that there is an important economic difference ...... if you have the money and you are only going to have a pinball choose the vault version .... if your budget is lower buy the original version which is also a good machine, and if you want to have more than one machine the original version also gives you the option to save some money for another pinball .....

20200127_202349 (resized).jpg20200127_202349 (resized).jpg
#17 3 years ago

The vault was one of the first having the bad playfields.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeanclaudev:

I got a replacement playfield and it's perfect.

#19 3 years ago

I owned the original version. JJJ callouts made the game. Played the VE...overall played similar but the feel and build of the entire Pin was horrible compared to original. You could ‘feel’ the cheaper cabinet.

I enjoyed the Original SM trilogy and thought the comic version was just a cash grab from Stern.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I owned the original version. JJJ callouts made the game. Played the VE...overall played similar but the feel and build of the entire Pin was horrible compared to original. You could ‘feel’ the cheaper cabinet.
I enjoyed the Original SM trilogy and thought the comic version was just a cash grab from Stern.

Have to agree with this also. Could never really understand the “old Stern is better than new” schtick, until I played a Spiderman VE. Having owned an original, I had high expectations for the VE when I first played it, but really didn’t like it. It did feel cheap. Felt like a Home game for some reason. Can’t quite put my finger on it.

I’d but a nice original back though.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeanclaudev:

I have a Vault, playfield is perfect.

#22 3 years ago

When the vault first came out I would have said I prefer the Red or the Black version, but nowadays I would say the VE is the way to go.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Jjj callouts seem to be one of the high points. Why can’t they make VE compatible with original code. Ugggg

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from drewbo81:

Jjj callouts seem to be one of the high points. Why can’t they make VE compatible with original code. Ugggg

Is there any way to get the original callous on the vault?

#26 3 years ago

VE. I don't want to look at Tobey Maguire's face. My apologies to Tobey Maguire's Mom if she's on Pinside.

#28 3 years ago

I prefer the original better toys and the callouts are much better.

#29 3 years ago

tobey for life

#30 3 years ago

I own a player's condition VE that was on route. It has held up great, but with some slight ghosting of the inserts. Overall, the art package on the VE is tremendous, and both games play the same in my opinion. I will agree that the call-outs on the VE aren't as good, but it has a better classic comic book feel.

#31 3 years ago

Original. The VE writing & voices are just horrible. The “Tell MJ” mode is perhaps one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen...each shot getting a callout of “YES.” or “NO.” The original has the excellent JK Simmons callouts, plus awesome villain callouts from the movies. Willem Dafoe cackling, etc.

It’s minor, but they removed Goblin’s coil for when you hit his targets from the VE. Cheaper out on one coil?! C’mon

#32 3 years ago

I bought a VE when it came out. I prefer the art package and the molded toys to the original. Venom and Doc Ock being just torsos always bothered me.

Watch out for ghosting on both versions. Ive seen plenty of originals and VEs with ghosted inserts.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Original. The VE writing & voices are just horrible. The “Tell MJ” mode is perhaps one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen...each shot getting a callout of “YES.” or “NO.” The original has the excellent JK Simmons callouts, plus awesome villain callouts from the movies. Willem Dafoe cackling, etc.
It’s minor, but they removed Goblin’s coil for when you hit his targets from the VE. Cheaper out on one coil?! C’mon

Tell MJ is the worst!

#34 3 years ago

The Vaults better than the original

#35 3 years ago

VE?
up there with that Haunted game from Spooky for worst call outs in pinball. And that speaks volumes because the call outs in pinball for the most part suck. To really suck and achieve equal to greater suck level than Haunted is amazing. OG 100% sir.

#36 3 years ago

They both are great. Buy the deal as ones come up local to you. I had a choice of buying a high play location SM Org for $4300 with a mod or two or 500 play VE with invisaglass for $5900 and went with the VE.

The HUO VE’s are nice and clean but folks are right that a lot of the 2000’s sterns hold up very well for their age and amount of plays they have. They were built well. My POTC was great and had a ton of plays. Super happy with my VE though, but I also would have been happy with an Org also to be honest.

SM is a pure Ritchie/Lyman F Sheats pinball treasure. Pick either model. Both are great and you will likely be happy either way.

#37 3 years ago

I like the playfield art on the VE, but that’s it.

Original all day everyday.

The original had some terrible video on the DMD too, but it was propped up by some fantastic audio.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Is there any way to get the original callous on the vault?

Can someone chime in on why we can’t use original code on VE if same system and same switches optos etc or am I missing something?

#39 3 years ago

I have the 2006 Spiderman. There are plus' and minuses on both.

Great call outs on the original.
Don't like the photoshop art comapred to the comic book art, just wish they used a different artist for the cabinet and the playfield.
Like some of the villian toys on the VE but hate that they cheapened by removing some of the better quality things from the original.
Not a fan or how the Green Golblin looked in the movie or the toy but don't like the new Green Goblin in the VE.
True the DMD animations on the 2006 seem grainy, like some of the cartoon animations on the VE.
Never played the VE much to feel a build difference.

Great shooting machine....I really like the John Romita art from the really old Spider-man machine

I do like the VE Sandman and the Venom playfield figures on the VE. Can they be swapped or attached to the 2006 Spider-man machine. Has anyone done that?

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

The game is based on all three of the Sam Raimi movies, that’s why it has Doc Oct and the Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) in it. There are several scenes from the first two movies.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from drewbo81:

Can someone chime in on why we can’t use original code on VE if same system and same switches optos etc or am I missing something?

VE is on the SAM updated board set.

#42 3 years ago

If you mostly care how a game looks then ve. Otherwise but for the photoshop mages on the plastics, 2007 Spidey is nearly the perfect game. The sounds and call outs some of the best in pinball. In the VE they are some of the worst.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

VE is on the SAM updated board set.

They’re both on Sam.

#44 3 years ago

vault...easily. movie and look became outdated long ago. the comic book look of the vault is better. they also make improvements with the magnet playfield wear.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

They’re both on Sam.

The 2 board sets aren’t compatible. The VE is running on an updated version of SAM.

Think of SAM 1.0 and SAM 2.0.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The 2 board sets aren’t compatible. The VE is running on an updated version of SAM.

Really? Had no idea.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

vault...easily. movie and look became outdated long ago. the comic book look of the vault is better. they also make improvements with the magnet playfield wear.

Very well said.

IMO, Iron Man, Avengers & Guardians won’t be outdated anytime soon. These movies aren’t getting remade anytime soon.

With the Disney purchase of Fox, X-Men and Deadpool will be changed before we know it. That’s why I think Stern made the right call in going with the comics.

I wouldn’t mind seeing an X-Men premium vault.

2 weeks later
#48 3 years ago

I’ve only played the vault edition. I prefer the comic art/updated parts on the vault and I’ve never had a problem with the call outs. Like you mentioned on the podcast- an original is probably $1000 less than a vault. I recently had the opportunity to buy a routed original for $3800 so there are deals out there

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’ve only played the vault edition. I prefer the comic art/updated parts on the vault and I’ve never had a problem with the call outs. Like you mentioned on the podcast- an original is probably $1000 less than a vault. I recently had the opportunity to buy a routed original for $3800 so there are deals out there

My friend bought a 2000 play HUO VE for under $5500. Won’t say price because that is his business.

I still say they are both great. Anyone looking for SM is most likely buying preowned so buy a fair deal on either that is local enough for you. HUO VE for under $5500 and routed Org SM for under $4000 are fair deals. A lot of Ritchie and Lyman for the money.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

My friend bought a 2000 play HUO VE for under $5500. Won’t say price because that is his business.
I still say they are both great. Anyone looking for SM is most likely buying preowned so buy a fair deal on either that is local enough for you. HUO VE for under $5500 and routed Org SM for under
$4000 are fair deals. A lot of Ritchie and Lyman for the money.

Good info...thanx pinnyheadhead

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.50
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-vs-spider-man-ve?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.