New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 163251)

Spider-Man VE (SMVE) SmartDMD colorization

By zene10

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lucky1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Sandman_(resized).png
GGfire_(resized).png
GG_intro_(resized).png
blacksuitPunch_(resized).png
2SZ_3738_(resized).JPG
2SZ_3737_(resized).jpg
comicBookGuyOrig_(resized).png
splash_(resized).jpeg
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
JOL_(resized).jpeg
amazingSpidey_(resized).jpeg
electro_(resized).jpeg
blackSuit_(resized).jpeg
swing2_(resized).jpeg
tellMJ_(resized).jpeg
spideyPhoto_(resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

Progress on my colorization of SMVE using Pinball-Browser and SmartDMD (with the serial side channel):

All white modes are complete (Tell MJ, Amazing SM, Jack O'Lantern, Electro and Daily Bugle) some with custom artwork.
Match sequence is complete with custom art.
Sandman 1st mode - Out of the Slammer complete.
Doc Ock 1st mode - Lend Me a Hand introduction complete.
Green Goblin 1st mode - Green with Envy complete. 2nd mode - Fire Fighting partially complete.
Black Suit multi-ball complete.
Splash sequence is complete (SM with villains, custom art for "Push Start", Stern logo replaced with custom art).
Battle Royal complete.

There are over 60 custom color palettes so far…

The custom call-outs are on hold for now until I get the color done (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spider-man-ve-smve-call-out-modification).

It's been a slog so far. I was trying to get finished before Epthegeek (great job on ColorDMD version!) but I swear the man never sleeps.

A note of warning: If you're considering coloring a game yourself as a way to save money over purchasing a ColorDMD version, think twice. It is seriously time consuming. I'm well over 100 man-hours into the colorization process and this does not count the hardware portion.

The fun thing about a DIY SmartDMD version is all the customization possibilities. Some of the SMVE art, like the call-outs, could be tweaked.

The first piece of advice if you are considering undertaking a project like this with the serial side channel, add the Pinball-Browser com patch to a virgin binary before you do anything else. It will save you hours of trying to figure out why you side-channel colorization is not working.

Second piece of advice, is to use the same color palette for motion sequences and backgrounds. For example in the end of game "Match" sequence, Spidey swings over a constantly recycled building background. If the Spidey palette and the building palette are different it causes havoc with the refreshing of the screen. It flickers and creates unpredictable color results.

Thanks to Olivier (oga83) for his unending support with P-B and SmartDMD.

More to come …

comicBookGuy_(resized).jpg
spideyPhoto_(resized).jpeg
tellMJ_(resized).jpeg
swing2_(resized).jpeg
blackSuit_(resized).jpeg
electro_(resized).jpeg
amazingSpidey_(resized).jpeg
JOL_(resized).jpeg
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
splash_(resized).jpeg

blacksuitPunch_(resized).png

GG_intro_(resized).png

GGfire_(resized).png

Sandman_(resized).png

#3 4 years ago

Looks awesome !!! Great work !!!

#4 4 years ago

Is that Comic Book Guy in the top photo ?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Is that Comic Book Guy in the top photo ?

Yes, the original game graphic is a "comic book" looking guy from the beginning of the "Match" end of game sequence. I took the liberty to make him Comic Book Guy in front of his shop. Also planning to make a custom Stan Lee graphic somewhere in the game.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Yes, the original game graphic is a "comic book" looking guy from the beginning of the "Match" end of game sequence. I took the liberty to make him Comic Book Guy in front of his shop. Also planning to make a custom Stan Lee graphic somewhere in the game.

Here's the SMVE version:

comicBookGuyOrig_(resized).png

1 month later
#7 4 years ago

Ran into a problem and wondering if anyone could help. SMVE has a 64MB eprom. The colorization has pushed the binary file over this limit.
I noticed that MET Pro has a 128MB eprom.

1. Is it possible to put a copied version of the MET Pro eprom into SMVE to gain additional space?
2. Does anyone know of a source of pre-formatted Stern eproms that will work?

Thanks.

2SZ_3737_(resized).jpg

2SZ_3738_(resized).JPG

#8 4 years ago

I love the Comic Book Guy easter egg.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Ran into a problem and wondering if anyone could help. SMVE has a 64MB eprom. The colorization has pushed the binary file over this limit.
I noticed that MET Pro has a 128MB eprom.
1. Is it possible to put a copied version of the MET Pro eprom into SMVE to gain additional space?
2. Does anyone know of a source of pre-formatted Stern eproms that will work?
Thanks.

The eeprom is not used during normal operation : it's only used when dip switch 8 is on (to upgrade the game).
So, replacing the eeprom will not change your issue.

The firmware (including the dmd frames) is stored into the flash memories that you can see in the upper left corner of your photos.
On your game, you can see that one of them is not installed (under the serial tag).
Unfortunately, it is not possible to install the missing component without recompiling the firmware (only Stern can do this).

4 weeks later
#10 4 years ago

There are several tricks to save memory when using pinball browser. If you share your project we can have a look if it can be optimized to fit in the end.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside