View topic image gallery

anchorman-love-scotch-movie-poster-PYR33151_(resized).jpg
12509618_224193051256566_8603216981302197249_n_(resized).jpg
Man-Throwing-Money_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 8 years ago

General sales have been "slow", partly due to after holidays slump, which is always common until "tax time" is over.
Ultimate production run is UNKNOWN, as it will based on demand.
My estimates are 500 or less at current interest.
Distributor preorders were tiny, in comparison to most other past Stern titles.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I am not sure how well you know your distributor, but when I read this on the internet I take it with a wheelbarrow full of salt.
Classic sales tactic. "These are selling fast... I only have 1-3 left... act now and if you are lucky I can guarantee you one of the last remaining machines!". I mean give me a break
Why would a distro say "It has been selling like poop, little to no interest, and I think I will be stuck with the 3 I ordered". Yeah, that is a great way to move your inventory.

That describes Whoa Nellie, WWE, KISS LE and a few other Stern titles with complete excellence, not just SMVE.

Unfortunate, really.
History repeats itself over and over in the pinball world.
Hopefully, "preorder" nuts don't get sharted with GB, when it comes along.
It is already overhyped.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Geez now GB is being trashed? Not even officially announced yet. We were discussing Spidey VE right?

Not trashed, "concerned".
Stern is causing growing consternation in the pinball community and distribution, not just on PinSide.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

If a pinball machine causes this much stress maybe a different hobby would be a better fit.

26+ years of collecting.
20+ years as a technician.
10+ years as a operator.
Two decades working with distributors, brokers, and manufacturers.
600+ machines through my personal hands.
It is unlikely this is personal stress.

I simply do not like watching new collectors get burned by running with their wallets open.
Watched it, many times.
They then complain they got "deceived".
They did not.

People should be HIGHLY concerned about quality, otherwise the bar gets lowered, engineering design is sloppy and more technical problems result, which in terms effects reliability and interest in the hobby.
Just like the acceptance of the continued increase of NIB prices at a FASTER rate then at any time in the history of pinball.
This has nothing to do with the economy or cost of production issues, it just is massive testing of manufacturer and people are falling for it completely.
Maybe you are not, but many are.
Most do not "use PinSide" or any other forum.

Things like Bally/Williams playfield slide bar locking mechanism for maintenance was a result of complaints by operators for improvement, for example.
It did not just "happen" by accident or at the amazing technical innovations of Bally/Williams.
Operators were installing their OWN first.

Stern does not even use them anymore to reduce costs, but the prices went up anyway.
Why should this even be considered an "aftermarket" kit?
Simply, it was "accepted".
They did when they were conjoined with Sega and Data East (some modification required).
Stern "Pro" games do not even have rails.
That is moving backwards in terms of development.
We are not in the 1970s and 80s.

I have seen more first time owners get so frustrated that their NIB game "does not work", it cause a lot of long term issues.
I agree nobody "needs" a NIB game, or has to buy it.
I help as many as I can, but sometimes a person's first bad taste is their last in this hobby.
Nobody should want another pinball dry spell to occur, because in their period of revival, it has promise.
Stern remains a critical link in the popularity of pinball.
Poor quality machines is not going to pay dividends in the long run.
JJP knows that, and "raised the bar" for a reason (initial production, code, and design "teething" problems aside)

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

This whole post is based on a premise of lowering quality, then details a reduction in inclusions. How about, just for once, the "lowering quality" argument actually takes some componentry, like a flipper mech or something, and tells us all how the quality is reduced. And not quality "control" either. Someone's diverter not working properly because of an alignment issue is a statistical certainty given the number of hand assembled components.

I was not talking about minor adjustment problems on new machines by new pinheads. I was talking about game engineering design flaws. Bally/Williams/Gottlieb generally addressed them in weeks or a couple of months, not years, if at all.

The MET Sparky coil "lock and burn" issue just got addressed 2+ years later!

If an owner or operator has to start designing improvements (or aftermarket mods for that matter which is always appreciated BTW) on a released game almost immediately due to a lack of response, something is not right.

Part of problem is lack of effective complete design game testing by Stern (not individual assemblies or destructive testing), which is part of the quality control process. It is just not happening like it used to in the pinball industry. Engineers are not always the designers, but the experienced designers like George Gomez step up to the plate to help when needed.

In the case of SMVE there should be ZERO design issues, as it is a 9 year old game with minimal changes. I hope this is true here for the cost.

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Wait'll GB comes out at like MSRP $6500 for a Pro.
The amount of money that will flow out once the "willpower damn" breaks will be amazing.

This is called a "pinball faphead" and the situation is rampant, borderline at the point of being epidemic.
It based on a completely new generation of collectors with little knowledge, some disposable income, and a millennial mindset.
"YOLO"!

It is getting worse than even what it was several years ago.
It is hard to have sympathy for people screaming "I was scammed!" when collectors are throwing money at people (in many cases with no formal background in the industry) when a project is still being developed, in concept, whitewood, or just plain does not exist.
Sample or prototype games are not equivalent of finished products either, which is a COMPLETELY common oversight.

If GB has significant mechanical or design problems (Stern game design commonality), unfinished code (Another Stern game commonality), or another $1000 increase in less than 6 months (which has already happened), people will scream, pay the money anyway, complain, and continue the cycle.

Don't forget the part when they have buyer's remorse, and try to sell the game for $2k more than they bought it a few months later, because they are trying to get rid of a turd.
Again, "rampant".

The old saying holds true, "If you can not afford to buy it, don't spend the money".

It will not stop until the economy slows it down.
This is much worse than the pinball "parts wars" of the early 2000s.
"Top 10" machines will keep rising anyway.

People that complain about pinball price insanity need to look in their mirror(ed balls).
Collectors caused it, and Stern is capitalizing on the feeding ball trough.

#110 8 years ago

Read the MMR postings.
It's rampant, whether MM or SMVE, it makes no difference.

"If I paid $8000 for a machine (new or not) it should be perfect."
"I should get a full refund if X does not work."
"My insert is scratched I need a new PF, where is it Stern?"

How many examples do I have provide across the entire internet from this hobby? It does not just apply just to NIB, but every condition and type of game.

That is the millennial mindset, and it certainly applies to Gen X as well. I never even age bracketed anybody. Sorry, if people get offended, but this is current situation of the new, primary, and secondary pinball markets. Every knows it is insane, now you some of the reasons why.

Entitlement for "free" or "cheap".
People are not "owed" anything in this hobby.
It is earned with hard work and networking.

I am not applauding Stern's decisions. They are FEEDING off the ignorance and mindsets, with profit.

Nobody bothers read the terms and conditions either, as that would actually help educate themselves as well.

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

50. I want to see 50 different people complaining like this. Then we can compare that to the thousands of people who buy pinball machines who DON'T make any noise. Everyone I know in real life who has anything to do with pinball just gets on with it. No drama. All good fun. A few saddies in the Internet is not a statistically sound representation of the ownership base.

Start here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-owners-need-some-help/page/3#post-2939589

Then go here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/35138159505/

More than 50 in just these two sources.
On Facebook key in on "dimpled playfields" as one ridiculous topic to start off with its makes for interesting reading.

I will go get some more for you from multiple sources, eras, machines, and demographics.

Demographics of collectors are completely different from the 80s and 90s. If you call even some that. More like "flippers", as they are around 2-3 years before selling out.

I can let one my distributors chime in if you want, they carry good weight regarding cross section. Most keep quiet to proven impacting sales.

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You really want to wish that on the pinball industry? The only reason Stern (and the other smaller manufacturers) are releasing so many titles now is because of a healthy economy and a new market of collectors.
At some point the economy will slow down and so will the pinball industry. Then you can have it "like the good old days" when you can buy your Top 50 games for nothing and Stern is dribbling out 2 average games per year.
But accept it as inevitable for now - at least there will be lots of new titles for you to buy when it's over.

I do not "wish" anything.
Wishing does nothing, a plan of action does something.
Wishing did not save Bally/Williams on Black Friday.
Wishing did not generate new reproduction parts for machines.
Wishing did not create new designs and titles.
New collectors throwing money at Stern did not save the industry.

I never even used the word in the thread, nor others I can recall since return to the collector's scene.
It may be the only way people wake up, because I don't see people increasing their knowledge any other way.
If you hit people in their pocket books, there generally is a reaction, hence the "current pricing of NIB games relevant to SMVE sales".

There are no "good old days", only periods where a wise buyer could stretch more with his/her dollar.
Most of the "old collectors" are just sickened by what is happening AGAIN and incensed by Stern's aftermarket parts shenanigans.

Gone are my days of "hoarding" NOS parts, I pass them along to viable collectors who need them for restorations.
There are still plenty of deals to be found in this hobby, if you are willing to do the hard work.
This includes fast prototyping if you get really get stuck, or reaching out to other willing collectors.
I just helped a friend find a CFTBL for $2800.
They exist, but are difficult to find.

If a person "must" have a NIB machine (especially if the title is brand new), then they have to "pony up the $$$ cash", it has always been that way, unless you watch the market really close, and snag something coming on its way back down as an overstock.

Let me know if you need something.
If I have it, and its not too big, and you pay the shipping, its yours.

NOTE FOR COLLECTORS: Most of the "best" machines were made well over 20 years ago, and in some cases over 40 years ago. That is why they are still popular. Happy birthday, Fireball. It did not cost anywhere near $6500.
Neither does EBD, or many other great machines.
"Explore the world of pinball collecting beyond late model SS machines, you will be surprised what you find."

12509618_224193051256566_8603216981302197249_n_(resized).jpg12509618_224193051256566_8603216981302197249_n_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 25.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-ve-current-sales?tu=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.