View topic image gallery

anchorman-love-scotch-movie-poster-PYR33151_(resized).jpg
12509618_224193051256566_8603216981302197249_n_(resized).jpg
Man-Throwing-Money_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png
There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 8 years ago

Stern nailed the VE! It really is much better than the original. The art, clear, dots, call outs, armor, shaker, protectors, etc... Plays like a dream. The call outs and art on the old one was a killer for most.

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

New pinball smell, new shiny coat of clear, custom armor, shaker, new toys, better art, better lighting, killer animations, better call outs, yea....its worth the price!
Hope to own one someday - ive owned the original twice. Love the game and rules, but couldnt get past the movie theme, art, and call outs both times i owned it. Congrats to VE owners.

Clear coat on the games coming out now absolutely blows away what they had been sending out.

That was one of my minor complaints about stern was the paper thin clear and it seems they upped their quality quite a bit. Well done!

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Clear coat on the games coming out now absolutely blows away what they had been sending out.
That was one of my minor complaints about stern was the paper thin clear and it seems they upped their quality quite a bit. Well done!

Yep, the clear on the VE was stunning. Looked great.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

New pinball smell, new shiny coat of clear, custom armor, shaker, new toys, better art, better lighting, killer animations, better call outs, yea....its worth the price!

Do you really think the call-outs are better on the new game? Perhaps it's just me , but they seem to have a generic "X-Men" kind of quality to them.

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Do you really think the call-outs are better on the new game? Perhaps it's just me , but they seem to have a generic "X-Men" kind of quality to them.

and don't you Love your XmenLE! Callouts can be changed....if the game has great gameplay/coding whats the diff?

#156 8 years ago

I guess the "new" spidermande` looks a little diff'rent, but I don't think we should be looking up to Tobey as the gold standard.

#157 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It sounds like the same voice actor that did Wolverine in XMEN did some in SMVE which to me is a good thing. The call outs that were really bad to me in xmen were all the ones from Magneto; repetive and annoying! I didnt hear any of that annoying repetition so far in SMVE, but all this is subjective as its still new and fresh.

As for the overall call outs being better on the new game; anything is better than the original - except the bonesaw ones and Spdiey woo hoo's, those were great.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Everyone has different opinions and if you like anorexic comic Spider-Man than more power to ya. The original movies were awesome and had the original villains that everybody knew. Me personally, I couldn't put that silly lookin comic art in my gameroom, it's not my generation and style.

Spider-Man is a comic art hero, always was and always should be..

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The call outs that were really bad to me in xmen were all the ones from Magneto; repetive and annoying!

I dunno Eskay, Magneto sounds like Will Ferrell and it always makes me laugh as I play that I think he did the voice work.

Stay ClassyStay Classy

#160 8 years ago

The clear coat does seem to be thicker. The first game I noticed this on is GOT, haven't looked at a KISS close enough to know if it's the same as well but my SMVE and GOT definitely have the best clear coating compared to other sterns I have owned.

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Quoted from jgentry:

The first game I noticed this on is GOT,

Yeah this is true. My MET just looked like a nice game...GOT clear looks thick and shiny

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah this is true. My MET just looked like a nice game...GOT clear looks thick and shiny

I really don't want to feel the edges of inserts, smooth like glass is what the kids like these days...I could feel one little ridge on a TWD insert but still a massive improvement, GOT clear was amazing and perfectly applied/no edges can be felt.

Worst offender was always the shooter lanes which now also looks fantastic.

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

and don't you Love your XmenLE! Callouts can be changed....if the game has great gameplay/coding whats the diff?

I absolutely love my X-Men, but I'm the first to admit that a lot of the callouts suck. I was just questioning whether SMVE having better callouts than the original is a valid point. Like SKB said, I guess it's all subjective.

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I dunno Eskay, Magneto sounds like Will Ferrell and it always makes me laugh as I play that I think he did the voice work.

Every time Magneto says, "I've captured another ball!" I LOL. It does indeed sound exactly like Will Farrell.

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Enjoy your Toby McGuire and ghosting LED's

Toby McGuire makes a good Peter Parker. No ghosting in mine, enjoy your kids themed SM. Go suck one!

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Toby McGuire makes a good Peter Parker. No ghosting in mine, enjoy your kids themed SM. Go suck one!

You mad bro?

Just having a little fun chatting spiderman. Same layout, same rules, just a different take, both good games. But Toby McGuire makes a whiny pathetic spiderman, can't get around that. Plus Topher Grace as Venom . And just so you know, all spiderman is based on comics which is pretty much kids themed.

#167 8 years ago

I prefer the original, can't stand Ultimate SM art or some of the callouts but I do love the dots on the VE.
It's all good it's SM and now there are two versions for everyone to enjoy and that is a damn good thing.

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

It's all good it's SM and now there are two versions for everyone to enjoy and that is a damn good thing.

This guy gets it

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

As for the overall call outs being better on the new game; anything is better than the original - except the bonesaw ones and Spdiey woo hoo's, those were great.

It's hard for me to believe that the callouts are better. Besides bonesaw and the combo callouts, there's also JJ who's really good in the game, the Goblin is fantastic, and Doc Ock is pretty good as well. I own X-Men and Avengers and if the callouts on SMVE are on par with those, then they're way worse than the original (I haven't heard SMVE). I, like gweemposse, just find it hard to believe that aspect is better. Everything else, I can totally see, but I can't think of a single game made where they had non-original actors doing callouts and that was better than having the real thing (in this case there isn't a cartoon, but the sound of the Spiderman movies is very recognizable, so I can't see how guys off the street would provide a better sound package than the movie).

#170 8 years ago

Any original Spider-Man owners installing some of fixes from the VE?

#171 8 years ago

I pulled the trigger and ordered one. I'm excited. The new molded figures really look amazing.

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I pulled the trigger and ordered one. I'm excited. The new molded figures really look amazing.

Congrats! The VE is one of my 2 favorite machines.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Congrats! The VE is one of my 2 favorite machines.

Is the original your other favorite

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is the original your other favorite

LOL. Star Trek LE is the other.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

LOL. Star Trek LE is the other.

The correct answer was iron man

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Stern nailed the VE! It really is much better than the original. The art, clear, dots, call outs, armor, shaker, protectors, etc... Plays like a dream. The call outs and art on the old one was a killer for most.

Let's not get carried away. The callouts on the original are overall WAY better. There's NO comparison on the JJ. The one now is standard Stern generic pin VO. Most of the VE spidey callouts are too "over the top" trying to be "cartoony" or "comic-book-like." It's a much sadder package for callouts than the original. That's not to say you can't like it, but saying it's "much better than the original" is a little too much.

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Let's not get carried away. The callouts on the original are overall WAY better. There's NO comparison on the JJ. The one now is standard Stern generic pin VO. Most of the VE spidey callouts are too "over the top" trying to be "cartoony" or "comic-book-like." It's a much sadder package for callouts than the original. That's not to say you can't like it, but saying it's "much better than the original" is a little too much.

Well being that Spider-Man is based on a comic, I like that the call outs are more "cartoony" or "comic book like". Makes it more timeless I say.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Well being that Spider-Man is based on a comic, I like that the call outs are more "cartoony" or "comic book like". Makes it more timeless I say.

Have you listened to X-Men? It's timeless alright...timelessly bad, lol. Clips from the X-men movies would be way better than what came with the game. Any cartoon based game that has a popular movie franchise made from it is never to going to measure up, people just have in their minds what that is supposed to sound like and when it doesn't, it lessens the experience. You could make a cartoon Iron Man game, but people aren't going to be as happy if the voice isn't Robert Downey, Jr, he is what Iron Man is perceived to sound like regardless of whether it's a movie or a comic now.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I'm okay with a cartoon or comic book vibe voice work in general, but it's the "over the top" delivery on the SM VE that takes it straight to "bad". (Appropriating taylor34, above) It's timeless just like tons of cartoons with the same kind of overacting...timelessly bad.

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Have you listened to X-Men? It's timeless alright...timelessly bad, lol. Clips from the X-men movies would be way better than what came with the game. Any cartoon based game that has a popular movie franchise made from it is never to going to measure up, people just have in their minds what that is supposed to sound like and when it doesn't, it lessens the experience. You could make a cartoon Iron Man game, but people aren't going to be as happy if the voice isn't Robert Downey, Jr, he is what Iron Man is perceived to sound like regardless of whether it's a movie or a comic now.

I'm the wrong guy to make that argument to. I'd snatch up a comic Iron Man in a mother f ing second regardless of who they hired to voice him.

Peter Parker the character is a high school/college student who makes a ton of puns and wise cracks in his comics. If given the choice between an original SM or a SMVE, I'd go VE. I sold my IM Pro and got a VE and I'm glad I did. Both play the same so as long as owners are happy with their version, who cares?

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

People that like the call outs better (including myself) are mostly going to be people that disliked the movies. Those call outs got on my last nerves. I like the new ones much better then the original, sorry my opinion is too much for you.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

People that like the call outs better (including myself) are mostly going to be people that disliked the movies. Those call outs got on my last nerves. I like the new ones much better then the original, sorry my opinion is too much for you.

Nailed it! The originals are shriekingly bad.

#183 8 years ago

Just ordered/paid for mine... Stoked!!!

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from Kcbbq13:

Just ordered/paid for mine... Stoked!!!

Congrats!

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Nailed it! The originals are shriekingly bad.

I like the JJJ callouts personally.
But different strokes for different folks.

Also, my original edition SM has Matt's Sandman, Train, and Building mods, with Hemi's LEDs installed. Really, really, really, like those mods and makes the SM game a lot cooler, visually. Ties in well with the original SM Trilogy well (so if you hated it, might not be as appealling). But the flashing buildings are really sweet.

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion, just pointing out that the new callouts are not universally loved, mostly because they're a step down, acting-wise from the originals. Aside from the first Spiderman, I'm no fan of the movies at all, but the pin callouts from them are definitely another level, professionally.

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I like the JJJ callouts personally.
But different strokes for different folks.
Also, my original edition SM has Matt's Sandman, Train, and Building mods, with Hemi's LEDs installed. Really, really, really, like those mods and makes the SM game a lot cooler, visually. Ties in well with the original SM Trilogy well (so if you hated it, might not be as appealling). But the flashing buildings are really sweet.
» YouTube video

Matt is also doing custom buildings and a train specifically for the VE, so that base is covered.

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion, just pointing out that the new callouts are not universally loved, mostly because they're a step down, acting-wise from the originals. Aside from the first Spiderman, I'm no fan of the movies at all, but the pin callouts from them are definitely another level, professionally.

I completely get what you are saying. Custom call outs will never be the same as sound pulls from a movie. But the callouts from the original spiderman are not universally loved either. Just in this thread you can see how many people truly dislike them. I prefer the custom package for the SMVE because I find the other call outs extremely annoying and I truly dislike those movies. To each there own, I'm just glad there's a spiderman option for people that did not like those movies. Options are always a good thing.

Quoted from taylor34:

Comparing the sound package for SMVE to XMEN is also a huge slap in the face, it is a million times better then XMEN. Everytime I hear Magneto say "I've captured another ball" all I can think in my head is I bet you did, you sound like you're really into that. Not that there's anything wrong with that

#189 8 years ago

Interesting. I enjoy the XMEN sound package and every quote! Different strokes and all that ....

Quoted from jgentry:

Comparing the sound package for SMVE to XMEN is also a huge slap in the face, it is a million times better then XMEN. Everytime I hear Magneto say "I've captured another ball" all I can think in my head is I bet you did, you sound like you're really into that. Not that there's anything wrong with that

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Now this is funny!! Calling one super hero "game" over another super hero "game" kiddie!

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Now this is funny!! Calling one super hero "game" over another super hero "game" kiddie!

Your funny. Two totally different art packages right. One is comic kiddie based and the other is movie based, kiddie or not the movie is themed for older audiences.

#192 8 years ago

It's all kids stuff. Pinball machines are just toys after all.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Interesting. I enjoy the XMEN sound package and every quote! Different strokes and all that ....

You might be the only person on the planet that likes the Storm quotes. It's honestly some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard. Beast is at least so bad that's it's kind of comical. .....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-ve-current-sales/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.