View topic image gallery

anchorman-love-scotch-movie-poster-PYR33151_(resized).jpg
12509618_224193051256566_8603216981302197249_n_(resized).jpg
Man-Throwing-Money_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 8 years ago

I'm very glad Stern did make this VE especially the new dots. I hope they sell a ton of them. I would buy one but not at this price. Maybe in a year the prices will adjust to where a used SMVE probably holding $600-$800 above a used SM (old).

#52 8 years ago

Waaay to expensive!!!

#53 8 years ago

If I bought one I would be a SM VE on the used market in a few months. For they are available for $6500 delivered then it seems to me I should be able to buy one used for $5400-5800 in 90 days; that is unless they skyrocket in value like Lucy has! $9000?!? Smh

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

I don't care if people prefer the VE over the original, that's great but using total bs to justify why the VE is 'better' is ridiculous.

Agreed. Now, if Stern were to guarantee that the DMD would be perfect as opposed to the original that wouldn't be BS.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

game that was originally a pro

It was not. SM was just SM. The black was Stern's first go at a Limited edition. And it wasn't called LE. It was called Black. There was no Pro line when SM was launched.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

that is unless they skyrocket in value like Lucy has! $9000?!? Smh

*my opinion/not fact*

The only reason Luci went to that level of price is that game became the more reasonably priced BIBLE/LTBR .

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Have you ever looked at an original SM? It doesn't have actors faces all over the game, they are on about 5 plastics, they aren't on the playfield, translight or cabinet.
And if you think that art on the VE is custom comic art you need to google ultimate spiderman. It will be quite obvious that the art on the VE is nothing more than photoshop clip art.
I don't care if people prefer the VE over the original, that's great but using total bs to justify why the VE is 'better' is ridiculous.

That's a little strong... Have you seen the Pinball News video of the new animations?? I simply stated that I prefer the comic book art over actors faces, not that you should or that everyone should. I also think the custom side armor is a cool upgrade and they also did several things to bulletproof the game from issues that were experienced with the first version in the way of protectors and changed components. If those things plus having a game that is brand new as opposed to 6-9 years old isn't worth $1500 to you, completely your choice!

#58 8 years ago

SM is a top game, the new dots are way better and the art while not my cup of tea, does look nice.

Personally I was just looking for a bit lower price so I'm out or will see if I can get one HUO in a few months

#59 8 years ago

Be interesting to see original SM with a colordmd (whenever they get to it) vs SMVE

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

With Spider-Man VE's high retail price what have the actual orders proven? Have people dropped the cash and is this moving the way Stern thought or have sales been slow and not moving as expected? Money talks .....and that tells the story. Anyone can say they'll buy --- but that's a lot of cash for that pin. Just wondering what you guys have heard.

Only 1 local op bought one here that I know of. With the last several releases there were about 3-5 purchased of each by local ops..

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It was not. SM was just SM. The black was Stern's first go at a Limited edition. And it wasn't called LE. It was called Black. There was no Pro line when SM was launched.

Call it whatever you want. It was at pro pricing, they just had not implemented the multitier system yet.

#62 8 years ago

SM is a kickass game. I have a very nice HUO '07 red and love it! I don't know if the price is too high or not on the VE. I do know the prices across the board on all machines seems to have gotten a bit high. I believe the market will determine if the VE is too high. To try and compare the price to the original and put normal inflation on it is just wrong. How many collectors on here sell machines they bought in the past for what they paid plus normal inflation? If that was the case we would be buying $6k MB's and $4k TZ's...... Doesn't happen! Everyone on here sells their machines for what the market will bear and they should. IMHO.....the art to me on the VE doesn't look bad, but not good enough I would ditch my current machine for one. I do believe the call outs on the VE are not as good as the original. However, if I didn't have one and was in the market for one I would probably go $6400 NIB delivered to my door. One thing I can say if the games plays the same as the non VE's than if you get one you won't be unhappy!

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Call it whatever you want. It was at pro pricing,

No it wasn't. It was at pinball machine pricing of the day. If Stern did a rerun now of any of the machines from before their current tiered pricing model it would not be sold at the price of the initial launch. An exact replica of any machine from back then would be sold at higher prices today.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

No it wasn't. It was at pinball machine pricing of the day. If Stern did a rerun now of any of the machines from before their current tiered pricing model it would not be sold at the price of the initial launch. An exact replica of any machine from back then would be sold at higher prices today.

Exactly like they did with IM which by your same logic is not a PRO model or inline with pro model pricing. I'm not even sure what the heck you are even arguing about.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

What did a "premium" SM sell for back then NIB? $3700? So you are saying that a "premium" SM from back in 2007 should be $6700 today? Makes no sense. If this is true then Sterns new tiered pricing model just sticks it to people who buy them.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

If this is true then Sterns new tiered pricing model just sticks it to people who buy them.

Anyone want to explain to the class the justification behind such a huge price increase from Transformers to ACDC ...?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-game-release-history

I'd love to hear it.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Anyone want to explain to the class the justification behind such a huge price increase from Transformers to ACDC ...?

Ritchie + Sheets Wait till they add a color display and raise prices even more. (except Rarehero who thinks cause a LCD costs less then the current display Stern will not charge us more )

#68 8 years ago

All game's, used and NIB, have increased in price since SM was released.

An 8 yo used SM has increased from its 2007 NIB price.

Sterns own NIB release pricing has increased significantly since 2007.

An NIB or used Medieval Madness now costs significantly more than what it did on release.

Did everyone expect SMVE would somehow be different?

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

What did a "premium" SM sell for back then NIB? $3700? So you are saying that a "premium" SM from back in 2007 should be $6700 today? Makes no sense. If this is true then Sterns new tiered pricing model just sticks it to people who buy them.

No...I paid $4400 for mine NIB and people thought I was nuts.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Don't skew the facts to make it feel better about buying one. A) SM's have been selling for $4500 to $5000. HUOs, in the 5200 range. B) the last run of spider man was late 2010, so it's barely a 5 year old machine. IMO, it's a much worse deal. And that's not even mentioning the clipart art package, the cheesy callouts and the reduction in parts (Goblin).

That's a bit harsh, but along the lines many are thinking. Do you want to get a bargain on the better build older one, or pay a premium for their cost reduced new one (are the decals still peeling off left and right?).

Both will play well, but to say that $5200 for a HOU prior version (likely with a few hundred in mods) is such a poor deal compared to the new one is ludicrous. Your money, your opinion, but I think you are wrong FWIW. They are arguable both very poor deals if $5200 for a SM was too much.

Hell, I have a previously routed one that I could probably clean up, put new plastics on, and claim was "HOU with a chipped ramp". These games don't generally wear out. So a decade old, 5 years old, that argument seems hella weak.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I talked to a distributor about 3 days after it was announced publicly. They were allocated 15 games and had 3 left unsold. They were asking Stern for another 15.

I am not sure how well you know your distributor, but when I read this on the internet I take it with a wheelbarrow full of salt.

Classic sales tactic. "These are selling fast... I only have 1-3 left... act now and if you are lucky I can guarantee you one of the last remaining machines!". I mean give me a break

Why would a distro say "It has been selling like poop, little to no interest, and I think I will be stuck with the 3 I ordered". Yeah, that is a great way to move your inventory.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Wait till you see the $500 topper they put out for it though!! A Plastic Spiderman with a few LED's and a coil that slowly moves him up and down. BUY NOW!

I hope if a Stern makes a cool topper for SMVE, they make it to retro fit the original SM as well. I love the KISS and GoT toppers. I would buy one for my '07 SM if they make one as cool and it will work on mine.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

These games don't generally wear out. So a decade old, 5 years old, that argument seems hella weak.

It all depends on what you see the value in. For me, not driving and spending a whole day to pick one up is worth a bit to me. Having a brand new in the box game is also a huge plus for me. Plus a warranty, plus new side rails and new art, which to me is a lot better then the original. Its literally delivered right to my door for 1k difference. If I had to ship one I bought for 5 then add on other 4 for shipping at least. Now, I love to be on the hunt for older games, and to me thats most of the fun, getting them and cleaning them up. But with a newer game, its not worth it to me and would rather have new then used on most of the games today. I understand those that are pissed about the price, and I was a bit at first, but after going though all the options, it was just easier for me to justify it the to keep scouring the webs for a nice huo only one that was never close to me to pick up. If there was one down the street for 5, then yes I would have picked it up.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

It all depends on what you see the value in. For me, not driving and spending a whole day to pick one up is worth a bit to me. Having a brand new in the box game is also a huge plus for me. Plus a warranty, plus new side rails and new art, which to me is a lot better then the original. Its literally delivered right to my door for 1k difference. If I had to ship one I bought for 5 then add on other 4 for shipping at least. Now, I love to be on the hunt for older games, and to me thats most of the fun, getting them and cleaning them up. But with a newer game, its not worth it to me and would rather have new then used on most of the games today. I understand those that are pissed about the price, and I was a bit at first, but after going though all the options, it was just easier for me to justify it the to keep scouring the webs for a nice huo only one that was never close to me to pick up. If there was one down the street for 5, then yes I would have picked it up.

Fair enough; unsurprisingly that seems rational

I have just seen too many SM posts over the last year or two of VE speculation somehow expecting NIB to be 100% reliable, or making it sound like all the other examples are blown out used up turds or whatever. Hence the "need" to buy NIB.

Just buy NIB because it is more convenience or you want to, no need to make crap up on top of it. So thank you for clarifying your view!

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I understand those that are pissed about the price, and I was a bit at first, but after going though all the options, it was just easier for me to justify it the to keep scouring the webs for a nice huo only one that was never close to me to pick up. If there was one down the street for 5, then yes I would have picked it up.

I appreciate that you considered both options, put a plan into action and then came on here to weigh in. So many times people are all talk. You are a man of action and should be commended for that. SM has great rules and is fun to defeat the 4 villans and presumably the rules are the same. Enjoy your SMve.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I am not sure how well you know your distributor, but when I read this on the internet I take it with a wheelbarrow full of salt.
Classic sales tactic. "These are selling fast... I only have 1-3 left... act now and if you are lucky I can guarantee you one of the last remaining machines!". I mean give me a break
Why would a distro say "It has been selling like poop, little to no interest, and I think I will be stuck with the 3 I ordered". Yeah, that is a great way to move your inventory.

That describes Whoa Nellie, WWE, KISS LE and a few other Stern titles with complete excellence, not just SMVE.

Unfortunate, really.
History repeats itself over and over in the pinball world.
Hopefully, "preorder" nuts don't get sharted with GB, when it comes along.
It is already overhyped.

#77 8 years ago

Geez now GB is being trashed? Not even officially announced yet. We were discussing Spidey VE right?

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Geez now GB is being trashed? Not even officially announced yet. We were discussing Spidey VE right?

Not trashed, "concerned".
Stern is causing growing consternation in the pinball community and distribution, not just on PinSide.

#79 8 years ago

Hurumph! I thought the bitching about price on this one was over. I already put my pitchfork and torch back in the shed.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Not trashed, "concerned".
Stern is causing growing consternation in the pinball community and distribution, not just on PinSide.

I can say I have zero feelings of anxiety or dismay about stern pinball. If I don't like it I'm not obligated to buy it. If a pinball machine causes this much stress maybe a different hobby would be a better fit.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

If a pinball machine causes this much stress maybe a different hobby would be a better fit.

26+ years of collecting.
20+ years as a technician.
10+ years as a operator.
Two decades working with distributors, brokers, and manufacturers.
600+ machines through my personal hands.
It is unlikely this is personal stress.

I simply do not like watching new collectors get burned by running with their wallets open.
Watched it, many times.
They then complain they got "deceived".
They did not.

People should be HIGHLY concerned about quality, otherwise the bar gets lowered, engineering design is sloppy and more technical problems result, which in terms effects reliability and interest in the hobby.
Just like the acceptance of the continued increase of NIB prices at a FASTER rate then at any time in the history of pinball.
This has nothing to do with the economy or cost of production issues, it just is massive testing of manufacturer and people are falling for it completely.
Maybe you are not, but many are.
Most do not "use PinSide" or any other forum.

Things like Bally/Williams playfield slide bar locking mechanism for maintenance was a result of complaints by operators for improvement, for example.
It did not just "happen" by accident or at the amazing technical innovations of Bally/Williams.
Operators were installing their OWN first.

Stern does not even use them anymore to reduce costs, but the prices went up anyway.
Why should this even be considered an "aftermarket" kit?
Simply, it was "accepted".
They did when they were conjoined with Sega and Data East (some modification required).
Stern "Pro" games do not even have rails.
That is moving backwards in terms of development.
We are not in the 1970s and 80s.

I have seen more first time owners get so frustrated that their NIB game "does not work", it cause a lot of long term issues.
I agree nobody "needs" a NIB game, or has to buy it.
I help as many as I can, but sometimes a person's first bad taste is their last in this hobby.
Nobody should want another pinball dry spell to occur, because in their period of revival, it has promise.
Stern remains a critical link in the popularity of pinball.
Poor quality machines is not going to pay dividends in the long run.
JJP knows that, and "raised the bar" for a reason (initial production, code, and design "teething" problems aside)

#82 8 years ago

"It's overpriced"?

Lol.

Please tell me what recent machine WASNT.

All this new "competition" in pinball has accomplished one key thing- higher price points.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm sure it's selling fine. It would have sold a lot better if they converted it over to spike and added rgb lighting though.

Have any VEs switched platform? Not technically a VE, but was the later LOTR switched to SAM from WhiteStar, or was there just an added board for shaker or something? I see IPDB says WhiteStar, but thought I had heard mixed reports about it.

I believe someone quoted Stern as saying VE would always be on the original platform. I wonder if they'd ever go back further than SAM.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Have any VEs switched platform? Not technically a VE, but was the later LOTR switched to SAM from WhiteStar, or was there just an added board for shaker or something? I see IPDB says WhiteStar, but thought I had heard mixed reports about it.
I believe someone quoted Stern as saying VE would always be on the original platform. I wonder if they'd ever go back further than SAM.

LOTR LE was a special case as it used a SAM Driver Board with a Whitestar CPU. It also had a modified PAL chip to run updated code with Shaker Motor support.

#85 8 years ago

26+ years of collecting.
10+ years as a operator.
I simply do not like watching new collectors get burned by running with their wallets open.
Watched it, many times.
They did not.
People should be HIGHLY concerned about quality, otherwise the bar gets lowered, engineering design is sloppy and more technical problems result, which in terms effects reliability and interest in the hobby.
Just like the acceptance of the continued increase of NIB prices at a FASTER rate then at any time in the history of pinball.
This has nothing to do with the economy or cost of production issues, it just is massive testing of manufacturer and people are falling for it completely.
Things like Bally/Williams playfield slide bar locking mechanism for maintenance was a result of complaints by operators for improvement, for example.
It did not just "happen" by accident or at the amazing technical innovations of Bally/Williams.
Stern does not even use them anymore to reduce costs, but the prices went up anyway.
They did when they were conjoined with Sega and Data East (some modification required).
I have seen more first time owners get so frustrated that their NIB game "does not work", it cause a lot of long term issues.
I help as many as I can, but sometimes a person's first bad taste is their last in this hobby.
Nobody should want another pinball dry spell to occur, because in their period of revival, it has promise.
JJP knows that, and "raised the bar" for a reason (initial production, code, and design "teething" problems aside)

^^^
This.....thanks for posting. People need to read the full post...spot on.

#86 8 years ago

26+ years of collecting.
10+ years as a operator.
Watched it, many times.
They did not.

This whole post is based on a premise of lowering quality, then details a reduction in inclusions. How about, just for once, the "lowering quality" argument actually takes some componentry, like a flipper mech or something, and tells us all how the quality is reduced. And not quality "control" either. Someone's diverter not working properly because of an alignment issue is a statistical certainty given the number of hand assembled components.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

This whole post is based on a premise of lowering quality, then details a reduction in inclusions. How about, just for once, the "lowering quality" argument actually takes some componentry, like a flipper mech or something, and tells us all how the quality is reduced. And not quality "control" either. Someone's diverter not working properly because of an alignment issue is a statistical certainty given the number of hand assembled components.

I was not talking about minor adjustment problems on new machines by new pinheads. I was talking about game engineering design flaws. Bally/Williams/Gottlieb generally addressed them in weeks or a couple of months, not years, if at all.

The MET Sparky coil "lock and burn" issue just got addressed 2+ years later!

If an owner or operator has to start designing improvements (or aftermarket mods for that matter which is always appreciated BTW) on a released game almost immediately due to a lack of response, something is not right.

Part of problem is lack of effective complete design game testing by Stern (not individual assemblies or destructive testing), which is part of the quality control process. It is just not happening like it used to in the pinball industry. Engineers are not always the designers, but the experienced designers like George Gomez step up to the plate to help when needed.

In the case of SMVE there should be ZERO design issues, as it is a 9 year old game with minimal changes. I hope this is true here for the cost.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

No...I paid $4400 for mine NIB and people thought I was nuts.

They were that high? Is that like a street price? Stern has $5799 MSRP on the archives for SM, but that seems steep to me.

Anyway I was impressed when Stern came out and listed IMVE at normal Pro prices. They could have perhaps raised the price and sold less, but still made the same profit, but they did not. I bought it NIB and was happy. On the flip side I just felt like they shot higher them they should have on this SMVE. I did not expect Pro prices, but Premium prices on a game that was already produced and sold for thousands less already just seemed like too much. My initial thought was why didnt they just lower the price a little and blow tons of them out the door? My opinion though, but my opinion should mean something because I have bought, own and have money to buy SMVE or other Stern pins if I choose.

I think I recall also that after the initial announcement of SMVE, Stern came out later with a statement that they forgot to mention SMVE will have some extras that were not in the original announcement. Could it have been from the initial reaction to the game, Stern thought people would love it and orders will come flying in or Stern just forgot? Who knows?

I just felt that after seeing this VE and its price I am not having high hopes for any other VE that may come out. I also really made myself look at how much these pins are nib. Seeing people say that this pin is totally worth every penny for what Stern had to do to make it really put a bad taste in my mouth about spending $5000+ for a pin anytime soon. I am not calling for a boycott of Stern or anything, but I have been around hobbies where people just keep on buying and spending more and more and just keep saying "this is worth it because ______." and don't take a real look at what they are getting anymore. Things went down hill in those hobbies over time and I don't want to see that here. I am also thinking these B/W titles are starting to get more and more appealing now for me also. They are good players and hold up really well considering they were on route for so long. My Sterns are not routed, but have trouble every now and then. Actually I think the same or even more than my BW games I own or have owned??? Huh?

Last thing that got me is that Gary always says how pinball on location is vital to the survival of pinball long term, but will operators spend $6600 for this game that should do well on route? Seems like he missed a big opportunity here with the rewrap. We will see.

I am just working it through here on PS and my thoughts could easily change. I am not mad, but not excited at all about the way Stern seems to just raise and raise prices on everything. Just not excited about getting another Stern. I just don't know if it is worth it anymore. Maybe I am happy with what I have also?

#89 8 years ago

Way overpriced !! I am out !!
Do we have idiots written on our foreheads Stenr ?

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Do we have idiots written on our foreheads Stenr ?

"Ironic post of the day award" nominee.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

"Ironic post of the day award" nominee.

Wait'll GB comes out at like MSRP $6500 (based on nothing except me BSing) for a Pro. The amount of money that will flow out once the "willpower damn" breaks will be amazing.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

You mean like this (from our Stern distributor in OZ):

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You mean like this (from our Stern distributor in OZ):

image_(resized).png

Haha. Classic.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

"It's overpriced"?
Lol.
Please tell me what recent machine WASNT.
All this new "competition" in pinball has accomplished one key thing- higher price points.

Not that it's anywhere near complete. But Thunderbirds cost $3783 usd for preorder customers

#95 8 years ago

Quick everybody! Race to send in money now and you MIGHT be lucky enough to not miss out!

These will NEVER be made available again... except when more are run at some point now or later.

#96 8 years ago

I have a gorgeous HUO original for sale.

HUO stern Spiderman
Pinball pro subwoofer
Pinbits plastic protectors
Shaker
Upgraded LED DMD and red filter.
Inserts all LED'd
Topper laser stainless by McKee
Signed translite by Ritchie

Low 621 plays on audits.
$5500 firm I'd take $200 off if you don't want topper.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#97 8 years ago

To me this is less of a vault edition and more of a special edition. Yes, the layout is the same, but a lot of the original package wasn't preserved (for better or worse is a matter of opinion). I'm upset by the price (which is evident if you listen to my take on The Pinball Podcast), and it makes me all that much more happy that I didn't sell my OG Spider-Man in anticipation of the VE.

The machine is retailing for over twice what I paid for mine. That's just straight crazy.

#98 8 years ago

Is it known how many spiderman VE's will be made or is it 'unlimited'?

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Is it known how many spiderman VE's will be made or is it 'unlimited'?

It's unlimited. IMO should have been limited - would have sold quicker if they had specified the amount, but I can understand not wanting to lock themselves in to a number.

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I have a gorgeous HUO original for sale.
HUO stern Spiderman
Pinball pro subwoofer
Pinbits plastic protectors
Shaker
Upgraded LED DMD and red filter.
Inserts all LED'd
Topper laser stainless by McKee
Signed translite by Ritchie
Low 621 plays on audits.
$5500 firm I'd take $200 off if you don't want topper.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Wish you were closer. Looks like an eleven hour drive each way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-ve-current-sales/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.