• 24 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hello my fellow web-heads,

After digging through many threads looking for someone who had meshed the original 2007 callouts with the new Vault edition it appeared as though some people had started but never completed the project. I thought surely, it can't be that hard, right? Well.... after listening to hours of JK Simmons telling me "YOU'RE FIRED!", I can attest, it was not easy. But I did finally succeed.

First was tracking down the original code. More specifically, the code with the uncompressed audio. The Stern website was less than helpful as they only have the most recent code. So I turned to my friends in the virtual pin world and snagged a ton of code. From 1.2 through 2.0. After investigating, I discovered the compressed audio started sometime between 1.7 and 1.9. So I locked in on the 1.7 code and started pulling every audio file of any character saying anything out of the code using Pinball Browser (Big shout out to Olivier and his software). Then I stored them in folders based on the type of callout. Multiball, drain, hurry up, high score, etc.

Next was opening up the most recent vault edition code inside the browser. I went through every single audio file and made sure they were labeled. It was at this point that I had to decide what I was going to replace. Unlike a lot of people, I really like a lot of the cheesy voice acting on the Vault pin. It reminds me of the 90s cartoon or the ride at Universal. Except for the MJ callouts... good lord. But one thing I knew I wanted to pull from the old game was the JK Simmons callouts. They are just too good.

So I started replacing every single "new" J Jonah Jameson callout with the original JK Simmons versions. There were only a couple instances where I left the original voice actor in. The Daily Bugle mode... Because that mode was added to the old game AFTER 1.7 and therefor the audio callouts are compressed and sound terrible. And also on the jackpot callouts. As the JK Simmons version only had one jackpot callout and the new one has a ton of variation. So I mixed the jackpots half and half.

The final thing I did was replace the MJ callouts. Originally I was going to put the Kirsten Dunst lines in there. "Hey, Heeeey I'm talking to you". But I felt like even her voice could get brutal after a while. So I decided to put in some JK Simmons lines there. Because you are basically hitting shots when those lines are said anyway, why not have JK cheer you on with a "Nice Shot!".

In regards to the villain lines, I kept most of the vault ones except for when the actor recorded too many of the same line with different inflections. In those instances I put some of the classic JK callouts like "This guy has eight arms he should be playing" or "Why are these scientists always mad?", stuff like that as it related to the specific villain. Like for sandman I put the "Hope you brought a shovel" to replace the "sand castle" callout half the time.

Easter Eggs - I included one audio file from each of the original villains, I put them in villain callout spots that had a lot of variables so they shouldn't happen all that often, but it might make you smile when you hear them.

Below I am going to include a link to download the Vault JK Simmons code along with a separate link to download all the audio files I cataloged from the original game. If you see a duplicate audio file with the word FIXED at the end. That is an instance where I had to cut down the length in order to fit as a replacement. I am providing you these in case you want to make your own mix using Pinball Browser. I have found that importing them at 150% volume is the perfect level.

Finally, if you like the new code and you want to shoot me any beer money for my time, my paypal is below. If not, no worries at all. I wanted everyone to have access to this regardless.

Link to Spider-Man Vault JK Simmons Edition
https://www.mediafire.com/file/62vnl0vtd947ktx/Spiderman+Vault+JK+Simmons+Edition+.BIN/file

Link to 2007 Spider-Man 1.7 Uncompressed Audio Files
https://www.mediafire.com/file/mujdqsh6n46yumx/Spiderman_2007_1.7_Audio_Files.zip/file

Link to my beer money fund
https://paypal.me/shaunpurslow?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US

#2 1 year ago

Nice work! I got about halfway through doing this exact project myself. But then I sold my Spiderman VE. Glad someone else decided to give this a go.

I know for a fact it's some TEDIOUS shit going through all the audio clips.

I also got some good JK Simmons quotes from the movies and used a few of those lines.

#4 1 year ago

So we just put this on a new SD card and can switch back at will ?Thank You for Your efforts after I try it I will join you for Beerthirty

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

So we just put this on a new SD card and can switch back at will ?Thank You for Your efforts after I try it I will join you for Beerthirty

I used the USB update method. But it should work just the same if you have two SD cards and want to switch between them, absolutely.

#6 1 year ago

I used the USB update method. But it should work just the same if you have two SD cards and want to switch between them, absolutely.</blockqu
USB is easier for me but if I want to switch back for whatever reason can I download original code on USB and switch back ?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:USB is easier for me but if I want to switch back for whatever reason can I download original code on USB and switch back ?

Absolutely. Anytime you want the normal Vault code, you can just load it back on via usb. The code can be downloaded from Sterns site here.
https://sternpinball.com/support/game-code/

#8 1 year ago

I’m following this, in case I get a SM Vault. thanks.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from shaunpurslow:

Absolutely. Anytime you want the normal Vault code, you can just load it back on via usb. The code can be downloaded from Sterns site here.

awesome,Thanks for Your Work.I will try this out Today.I have been hoping for this since I got my Vault a couple years ago.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Spider-Man is a SAM game. No SD card. You have to do a full USB update to change code.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Spider-Man is a SAM game. No SD card. You have to do a full USB update to change code.

Thanks RC! You're 100% right. In addition to that, your game will ask you to switch the dip switch #8 after you put in the USB. The dip switches are located just below the Fluorescent Tube Light in the backbox. After the install. you pull out the USB and switch the dip switch back.

#12 1 year ago

Thanks RC! You're 100% right. In addition to that, your game will ask you to switch the dip switch #8 after you put in the USB. The dip switches are located just below the Fluorescent Tube Light in the backbox. After the install. you pull out the USB and switch the dip switch back.

I have done many spike 2 machines but never sam.
whats the procedure ?
power off insert usb
switch dipstick 8
power on and download
switch dip 8 back
power off and on to finish ?

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I have done many spike 2 machines but never sam.
whats the procedure ?
power off insert usb
switch dipstick 8
power on and download
switch dip 8 back
power off and on to finish ?

That's pretty much it. Here's Stern's official how to:

#14 1 year ago

Well I have tried 3 games so far and it sounds great.Thanks and enjoy the Beers

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Well I have tried 3 games so far and it sounds great.Thanks and enjoy the Beers

Thanks so much! Glad you're enjoying it.

Shaun

#16 1 year ago

Good work! Did you find the “your game is flatter than…”? Call out. Non-pc but funny!

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from zene10:

Good work! Did you find the “your game is flatter than…”? Call out. Non-pc but funny!

I did not! Perhaps it was in an earlier version and was removed or a later version that I didn't scrub to avoid compression. But I went through every single sound clip on 1.7 and I didn't find that one. But now I'm curious where it is.

#18 1 year ago

Give me a couple of days, I’ll look at my notes and see what version it was in. Congratulations for finishing. I know this was a PITA

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from zene10:

Give me a couple of days, I’ll look at my notes and see what version it was in. Congratulations for finishing. I know this was a PITA

I assume this callout is nixed or just not used in the original game? I've never heard it and it would be cool to add it to the original as well.

#20 1 year ago

Thanks so much! Glad you're enjoying it.
Shaun

Did I hear a callout with Willem Dafoe delivering the actual line.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Did I hear a callout with Willem Dafoe delivering the actual line.

Hahaha. Yep. He's in there. So is Alfred Molina. But they shouldn't come up all that often as I added them to sections with a bunch of variable lines.

3 months later
#22 10 months ago

Hello! New SMVE owner here, and very intrigued by this. Is there perhaps any video to sample what this audio package is like, prior to installing? Either way, thanks a ton for doing this! From all that I’ve read, I can agree: Seems like it must have been quite the undertaking!

#23 10 months ago
Quoted from zeldarioid:

Hello! New SMVE owner here, and very intrigued by this. Is there perhaps any video to sample what this audio package is like, prior to installing? Either way, thanks a ton for doing this! From all that I’ve read, I can agree: Seems like it must have been quite the undertaking!

You can always switch it back if You want but I havent felt the need.

#24 10 months ago

I think we're ready for a Vern Shillinger version if anyone has time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-vault-with-jk-simmons-callouts-completed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.