20160109_134130_(resized).jpg
20160109_134134_(resized).jpg
20160109_134138_(resized).jpg
20160109_134142_(resized).jpg
ASM317_02-659x1024_(resized).jpg
800722-8015new_storyimage2331189_full_(resized).jpg
pasted_image_(resized).png
pasted_image_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maplesyrup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#171 8 years ago

Wow. I really can't believe the reaction here!? I'm scratching my head.

I'm seeing a truly fantastic package. I'm noticing every insert has a different name now. So, every single mode has been redone. Revoiced, re animated etc etc. They have put a LOT of work in to this.

I always enjoyed SM, but had no desire to own one. I didn't like the way it looked. This one is 100 times better to my eyes.

I'm a huge comic fan, and love the way Spidey has developed over the years. The "Bendis" Spidey is among my favourites. This is very similar to that.

As far as price goes... Develop a pinball machine, build it in the United States, and then ship it on time cheaper than Stern does, and then let us all know how you did.

I think they will sell 500-1000 of these easily, and I might be one of them.

Sorry if I sound grumpy. Not my intention. I just felt very excited by this package, and was dismayed to see the overwhelmingly negative reaction here. Is Pinside now just about price, and bashing Stern??! Wtf people??!

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

I don't consider myself a Stern basher. But when they come out with a machine you could buy half that price not even 7 years ago .............that's pinflation at it's best.

This is not that machine, and now is not 7 years ago.

#362 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Dude, no offense, but you're not exactly price sensitive at this level of purchasing. You can afford this.
I feel like you're losing track of people who are feeling price sensitive about pinball. You got upset with me when I said that I didn't feel like Stern games were enough value at $8000. That's a lot of money!
Here you have people expressing disappointment that the game is going to be around $6500 shipped. Not MSRP, real shipped price.
It's a lot of money too. Is what it is, Stern might have overreached, or maybe that's just the realistic cost in 2016 for this game. No idea. But the money is what it is too, doesn't really matter why.
Maybe they'll sell a ton, I dunno. I don't wish them ill or anything. But anyone who thinks people shouldn't be upset that it's come to a remake selling for this much just doesn't have the same financial concerns that some other people do.
This hobby is enough of a rich guy's playground already. Many buy Pros because it's what they can justify. The way the price trends are going you have to wonder if there will be a base around to keep buying everything. I sure hope so.
I know that for me this kind of cash is gonna require something more in exchange. A repackage of an old game with old DMD dots, no color changers, or anything else that's actually "new" isn't enough. Doesn't mean it's a bad game! Or a bad package. Just that it doesn't really provide enough value for someone like me.

No offence taken! This is not chump change to me. This is real money.

I just think the "price sensitive" argument is completely out to lunch. This is not people being "price sensitive". This is people complaining that they can't buy pins for what they used to cost 5 or even 10 years ago!! Haha.

You can't expect Stern to put TONS of effort and time in to a new machine, redoing the art package (seriously folks, this is not stock Marvel clip art... Every image has been custom drawn to replace what was previously on the playfield), New animations, new sound package... This represents an unfathomable amount of work. It's not a slap job... It's a TON of work!!!! And then price the machine to compete with a used 8 year old machine??!!!

I think everybody is reacting like, "What??!! Stern wants me to try to sell my SM and fork over another 2 K on top for this?!!!". I don't think existing SM owners are the target for this pin. Previous SM owners, and people who have never owned a SM would find this package VERY enticing indeed.

SM is considered an amazing pin. I've enjoyed it every time I've played it, and I know I'm barely scratching the surface codewise.

I'd be able to purchase a code complete, NIB pin that is stunning for 6.5 K USD delivered. Who cares what SM cost in 2007?!! It's not 2007, and this is not that pin.

Do I wish it was cheaper?? Of course I do!!!! However, I don't think the price is totally out to lunch. It's not highway robbery, or a crass cash grab. It is the reality of development and manufacturing in the USA.

Spooky proved that it can be done on a smaller scale, and sold for less, and they put out an AMAZING product. Stern is simply not on that scale though. They have a massive factory, a huge development team, and they are currently actively producing around 8 pinball machines. Anybody trying to ballpark their build costs is talking directly out of their ass. Myself included!!!

Speaking personally, I chose not to buy really nice SMs over and over at the $4500-5500 range. It just never struck me as a must have machine despite the high praise. I didn't like how it looked, and despised the films after the 1st one. This SMve is REALLY appealing to me though. It's a brand new pin, with some physical improvements over the original. Complete code, and an appealing art package.

Anybody else like a go at this dead horse??!

#392 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

-The hardest part about making a machine is designing it, building whitewoods, building mechs, testing, redesigning, etc. That step is GONE on this machine.
-The new comic book art is ABSOLUTELY stock Marvel art from the Ultimate Spider-Man comic books
-The playfield art layout is EXACTLY the same as the original. Everything is in the same place, just "re-traced". Comic buildings instead of the photo-realistic ones. Ultimate-style spider symbol where the movie-style one was. Cartoon Doc Ock arms where CG arms used to be. It's a "new-ish" art package. Not a lot of thought was put into it, IMO. More creativity was put into transforming Family Guy into Shrek. The translite and sides are right off of a comic book cover or page.
-Music is the same...so, they didn't have to pay a musician for new tunes.
-So, really the only "budget" that really went into this game was new animation for the DMD & new voices.
It definitely seems like this game could have been priced lower based on what it cost to bring to market...and it seems like it would still be insanely profitable on its own merits. Still, Stern is in business to make a profit...and perhaps they need a little "padding" from a game like this to cover for flops like WWE. Maybe less sales at a higher margin are more important than more units at less profit.

So, you're saying that whatever hard costs Stern spent on doing the new animation, and voice work are the ONLY costs involved in bringing this pin to market??? Or that any other costs are negligible?? That's insane RH.

I can guarantee you, a lot of time and effort went in to this pin. Yes, the lion share of development costs were already done, but what they have done here is not nothing, and it's not inexpensive to accomplish. We don't know what it cost to bring this pin to market, but bring it to market they will, and it'll be weeks from now, and that's a great thing.

I'm done arguing about this. The good news is, there's another NIB pin available for those who want it, and Everybody's original SM is still just as good as it was before.

Let's play some pinball everybody. That's what it's all about. I'm looking forward to playing one of these in person.

#398 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If not a style guide then it's still Marvel "stock art" from their library, none of that was actually drawn for the pin. That's more likely, a style guide will be more limited, it's unlikely to have that shot of Doc Ock's back for instance, that's not a hero pose for that character. Won't see it on a package or plate. More likely there's a big library of images they keep for this very purpose. Probably every page of everything they do is digitally accessible. I bet without word bubbles too, so keeping it there was probably on purpose.
That's maybe why it feels so traced, was easiest to just replace things 1 as best they could, since without new drawings specific to the shape of the pin it was about fitting what you could.
Nothing wrong with that! It's a collage of pre-existing art, but that's just a medium, doesn't make it bad. Either Stern got to pick through their library, or, more likely, the artist or someone at Marvel picked out a bunch for them to use. That's the common way, studio hands you a folder of approved assets, and you go through them and collage up parts from it along with your own art. It's how I'm doing Alien, not putting it down.
Just saying that's how this was done, it's pretty obvious. (It will be obvious to anyone who knows this stuff on Alien too, again, not casting stones. Just explaining how these things are usually done.)
So given that I doubt Stern had any choice to but to use Ultimate Spider-Man art. Wish they'd been allowed to dig deeper back into that library man. The old character art, especially for the villains, was way better.
Disclaimer: I'm speaking for myself, and not Heighway Pinball, who is not my employer. Just to be clear since I brought up Alien. And I'm not critical of Stern's method, just trying to explain from experience how this stuff works to everyone.

Agreed. That's likely what went on here.

The point I was trying to make was that you can't place a style guide down next to the old PF and BOOM this new playfield pops out. It took effort, care, and a lot of work to put this together. Even if they pulled stock images, and pieced it all together, it's not an automated process. It's not nothing. It still requires work, tweaking, approvals, reworking, reapproving... Etc etc.

#473 8 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So what is your tipping point of value on this pin anyway? If this was $7500 US? $8500? At what point will you not just be happy that pins are being made becasue the prices are too high? .
The truth is, this how crashes start. Manufactures start to limit their supply and raise prices instead to make the same amount of money. They say, "Let's make less pins at higher prices! We worked really hard changing the art and dots on this SM and we have been underpricing our pins apparently and need to get top dollar for our home run product we make and hard work we do on changing this art out! Let's keep testing the market on price!"
This less product at higher price shit goes on for a while and people, like you, say they think raising prices is just fine with the as long as pins are still being made. Keep them coming! People start to get off on stuff being more limited beacsue they like to "collect" pins and they only drop like $500 in price right? If SM was $3800 when pinball was less popular 8 years ago it should be $6500 today. Right? They work hard on this pinball art and dot stuff!
So all is great for a while, but then a bad title comes out and another that plays poorly and then perhaps peoples homes and stock portfolios go down 5% or more a year rather than going up 5% or more. I dont know when, but it is coming. People will sell a pin and take a bigger and bigger hit out of the box. $500 hit is nothing for most, but mabey if you are down $1000, $1500 or $2000 it could be a big deal. People start to say I will just play the 1-20 pins that I own and not buy a NIB this time around or next or next. Maybe they will buy a HUO at $2000 less! People who run routes will just repair their games and not buy new ones also. This causes less people to know anout pinball, so you cant attract more of the "take my money!" crowd that has no problem with prices going up.
Gary was all about how pinball needs to be played on location for it to survive in the future. Location this, location that, blah blah like a broken record. Then he comes out with this great kid/family game that is great for on location play and pushes the price up on the folks that buy the games for on location play. It is a missed opportunity. IMHO.
To me pinball should be like an appliance type toy, like an air hockey table or Golden Tee, more then a "collectable". They should be used for entertainment and make a little money on location. The more pins you make and sell the better because more people will play and pinball it can survive a down market with the larger numbers of potential buyers who enjoy it.
Pushing the price up and up will lower demand at some point. The reason demand is lowered could happen even if your product is great. Shit happens in this world. Maybe pinball is not that important to people anymore. Once pinball does take a drop and it will for whatever reason, I do not want it to fall hard because I love it. Most of us, myself included, do have a price that will be on to high to buy NIB pins anymore or somethig in their lives changes and they will pass. This SM at $6500 is just to high for me so I will not consider it.
Honestly Paragon for $1200 is a complete friggin bargain as I think of it again now.

It actually doesn't matter what MY tipping point is, just like it doesn't matter what YOUR tipping point is. The market is growing. Stern is growing.

Let's put it this way. If somebody had a NIB SM original, what would they have been asking for it in December?? I bet it would have been more than $6500 delivered.

Yes, markets change, and corrections come. Things will change in pinball... but nobody here has the faintest idea of how that will shake out.

What is a fact is that current owners of a minty HUO SM would want many pretty pennies to part with their machines. That has to be taken in to account when you price a NIB machine.

You obviously put a lot of thought, and time in to your response, but it's all based on completely hypothetical situations and numbers, and therefor meaningless. I don't mean that as a jab in any way, I mean that like... "Ya... maybe, but who knows?!"

We'll know if this machine was priced right in a few months, I guess. What the people of Pinside desire the price of NIB pins to be does not set the price of NIB pins it seems!

#475 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I agree, the math just doesn't add up.
If an OP purchased a game for $7500 and charged $1 a game, split with the establishment 50/50, they would need to have a minimum of 15,000 games on the machine with zero maintenance cost to recoup their investment and start earning.
I believe Stern could really change things up by forming an "Operator Success" group that focuses on making sure operators are maximizing their earnings from the machines. Possibly put in some alternate outcome based model where Stern only makes profit when the operator makes profit.

That's not really true though, right? You don't expect to zero your balance sheet with profit do you?? The pin has liquid value.

If an OP purchased this machine, and started earning on it, they would have the revenue from the earnings, plus the asset of the value of the machine sold second hand, correct?

I'm not an OP, so I don't have expertise here, but when I look at the value proposition on buying a machine, I consider what I need to lay out, what I will get from owning it (enjoyment), and what I will recoup when I decide to sell? Simple.

#483 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

The calculation for a toy/home use is simple.
The math is not so simple if you are trying to earn a living off of it.

Sure it is. My point is the machine is a valuable asset. You don't need to get 15,000 plays to see your return on investment and make money. You need to make more than the difference of what you paid vs what you could sell it for.

#484 8 years ago

Actually done now. Happy pinball everybody. I'm going to go play a few games right now!

#531 8 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

So serious pinside question.... Is SM VE going to get it's own rating or is it going to be lumped in with the current SM rating... or like the black spiderman and out there in no-man's land???

Serious answer. Art is part of the rating system, as is sound and dots. it should probably have a separate entry?! Falls in to the "ratings are a bit of a joke" category though IMO.

I have a thought, and I'm going to start a separate thread about it. You must all be quivering with antici...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maplesyrup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-vault-edition-images-are-here?tu=maplesyrup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.