20160109_134130_(resized).jpg
20160109_134134_(resized).jpg
20160109_134138_(resized).jpg
20160109_134142_(resized).jpg
ASM317_02-659x1024_(resized).jpg
800722-8015new_storyimage2331189_full_(resized).jpg
pasted_image_(resized).png
pasted_image_(resized).png
There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.
#651 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern already employs artists who are working with full resolution CG....it then gets downgraded for the display. Look at GOT's animated gears...look at KISS's CG gene spitting fire...look at Star Trek's CG Vengeance - all of these things were created with modern tools then filtered thru the low res display. The artists are there on staff already. Their paycheck isn't going to change when Stern finally puts in the modern display.

Yeah, remember when Stern announced that they'd hired two 3D artists a little while back? They've been working towards this transition, those hires weren't to work on DMD games for the next decade.

#652 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think that's a fair assessment, and not really a negative point. I don't think Stern was trying to convince Red owners to sell their machines and upgrade. This was merely a way to roll out a small pin release, sell x hundred units, have something for the factory to prroduce, and make enough to cover whatever expenses there was in doing it and make some profit.

Quoted from Aurich:

Almost nothing else to say after that, perfectly summed up.

Except that Stern could have chosen option b. Release SMr as originally designed. Could have saved a bunch of time, attention and money. Priced it at $5k and sold a thousand. But I guess plan a was the way to go. Damn shame in my opinion.

#654 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Except that Stern could have chosen door b. Release SMr as originally designed. Could have saved a bunch of time, attention and money. Priced it at $5k and sold a thousand. But I guess plan a was the way to go. Damn shame in my opinion.

They couldn't do that. Disney/Marvel have the Spidey merch rights - Sony isn't licensing the Raimi trilogy anymore.

#655 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The more I look at that cabinet side art the weirder it looks to me. What is going on with his leg? He has this weird bony ass protrusion, his calf is apparently suffering from the same bone spurs, and even worse, it's spread to his heel. I wonder how he buys shoes with a heel that sticks out like that? Out of all the great Spider-Man art in the world why that one?

I always thought the giant eyed Spiderman was kind of goofy looking. I'm not into comics enough to know who-drew-what, but just doing a google image search was enough to convince me they chose the worst looking version of him to use for the game.

#656 8 years ago

It's anorexic Spidey on steroids with huge bug eyes. I dont like the new generation work at all. Even green goblin, looks like the Hulk, WTF!

#657 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

It's anorexic Spidey on steroids with huge bug eyes. I dont like the new generation work at all. Even green goblin, looks like the Hulk, WTF!

Heh, he really does. Green skin, no shirt, giant muscles, purple pants ... Hmm that's familiar sounding!

Look at this: http://marveltoynews.com/sideshow-green-goblin-premium-format-statue-order-info/

$500 collectible. Huge and you couldn't put it in a pin. But, here's the point: obviously the classic Green Goblin is still available for licensing. I just wonder if the classic look was an option Stern rejected or not.

#658 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But, here's the point: obviously the classic Green Goblin is still available for licensing.

Sideshow probably had to go with an earlier GG because they had already done Hulk

Premium-Format-Hulk-Green-Statue-2014-Sideshow-Collectibles-e1398191816722_(resized).jpgPremium-Format-Hulk-Green-Statue-2014-Sideshow-Collectibles-e1398191816722_(resized).jpg

#659 8 years ago

A new rendition of the classic spidey theme song is in the attract mode... Nice touch. Might change my mind now.

#660 8 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

A new rendition of the classic spidey theme song is in the attract mode... Nice touch. Might change my mind now.

That was in the old version.

#661 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I always thought the giant eyed Spiderman was kind of goofy looking. I'm not into comics enough to know who-drew-what, but just doing a google image search was enough to convince me they chose the worst looking version of him to use for the game.

Well, I looked into some spiderman images on intranet, including the ultimate spiderman, That is just the style of this series. Personally I do not like this version. On youtube some guy has a 30 min video on the ultimate spiderman collection edition, art work in that form is great, but still it just is not my spiderman. I like the old one better with the movie theme, I like the black suit multi ball, dark screens etc. Just my taste. Do love the machine with the bright colours and think when you see this in person with the proper lighting, think just awesome, just not my thing.

#662 8 years ago

I like the art style on figurines and such, but the playfield between the slingshots are not my cup of tea.

Who I am to talk, can't afford NIB stuff anyway. lol

#663 8 years ago

I wonder if Stern only wanted to sell 200. Like others have said, it is a stop gap between GOT and GB. This may be a new approach they are trying too. Limited runs to increase price without increasing cost.

#664 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I wonder if Stern only wanted to sell 200. Like others have said, it is a stop gap between GOT and GB. This may be a new approach they are trying too. Limited runs to increase price without increasing cost.

Stern never makes anything wanting to sell 200. But the "lower budget" projects like SMV & IMV won't kill the company if their sales are lower. The money's been made already. Any sales are gravy.

#665 8 years ago

I would have been more interested if it were prices like the IMVE and the art was in this style.spidey_j_buscema_mooney_asm_78_(resized).jpgspidey_j_buscema_mooney_asm_78_(resized).jpg

#666 8 years ago

^^+1
I think most people would agree

#667 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

^^+1
I think most people would agree

Old people.

#668 8 years ago

Not just old people, my kids 11 and 8 saw the Ultimate SM VE pics and the immediate reaction was yuk before I had even said a word.

#669 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I don't think it's a stop gap. Stern assembly lines seems to be busy as ppl are still waiting for got prems, st pro/prem ,twd pro/prem etc

I think stern pumped svme because it sold well and to get the game back in ppls hands

The amount of work to bring back something that's been out production is a serious pain let alone make changes

Like realistically if stern only needs to make 200-400 smve. They could get them all made in less than a week.

#670 8 years ago

I can't even. SMVE looks great. That old Spidey look, really? Art is subjective, but come on. Really?

#671 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I would have been more interested if it were prices like the IMVE and the art was in this style.spidey_j_buscema_mooney_asm_78_(resized).jpg

Now that I've posted that pic, I keep wondering what the Innovator tag is. Big John is one of my favorites but he definitely didn't do the art. Maybe the layouts or breakdowns? Man it would be nice to see a pin with his art on it. Savage Sword of Conan or Silver Surfer!

#672 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I can't even. SMVE looks great. That old Spidey look, really? Art is subjective, but come on. Really?

It's beyond dated looking. Ok, it's a classic comic, sure - but for a modern Spidey product? No friggin' way.

#673 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's beyond dated looking. Ok, it's a classic comic, sure - but for a modern Spidey product? No friggin' way.

and by "modern" you must mean with no regard for proper human anatomy and proportions. I'll take classic over that any day.

#674 8 years ago

With all the discussion going on about the artwork I'm just wondering why Stern isn't offering 2 or 3 different art packages to choose from. That worked for Spooky with AMH. As there is already a deal with Marvel, how much more difficult would it be to do 1 or 2 additional versions? Sure it's a bit more work for the (already busy) Art Dept, but most of the dots can stay the same, music and voicecalls too. It gives the collectors something to choose from and may result in more games being sold.

#675 8 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

With all the discussion going on about the artwork I'm just wondering why Stern isn't offering 2 or 3 different art packages to choose from. That worked for Spooky with AMH. As there is already a deal with Marvel, how much more difficult would it be to do 1 or 2 additional versions? Sure it's a bit more work for the (already busy) Art Dept, but most of the dots can stay the same, music and voicecalls too. It gives the collectors something to choose from and may result in more games being sold.

Polls show only a slight uptick in sales based on art.

#676 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

and by "modern" you must mean with no regard for proper human anatomy and proportions. I'll take classic over that any day.

It's a comic book character man, and it looks great.

#677 8 years ago

All in all this new version just doesn't appeal to me. Im keeping my original Spidey and im still loving it. Bought it NIB a few years ago and still lovin it !!

#678 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

The forced perspective on that classic cover looks like garbage. If they were to go with "classic" Spidey, I think there are better modern Spidey drawings than the Ultimate version that take into account the classic run - that way you could have had a "traditional" Green Goblin instead of the Hulk version.

137372-green-goblin_400_(resized).jpg137372-green-goblin_400_(resized).jpg

Amazing-Spider-Man-2-Harry-Osborn-Green-Goblin-Image_(resized).jpgAmazing-Spider-Man-2-Harry-Osborn-Green-Goblin-Image_(resized).jpg

#679 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I would have been more interested if it were prices like the IMVE and the art was in this style.spidey_j_buscema_mooney_asm_78_(resized).jpg

Holy shit, Spider-Man has a slight yellow glow around him. Stern art is on point.

#680 8 years ago

200161-product-silo_(resized).png200161-product-silo_(resized).png

#681 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

200161-product-silo_(resized).png

She can call me tiger anytime

#682 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The forced perspective on that classic cover looks like garbage. If they were to go with "classic" Spidey, I think there are better modern Spidey drawings than the Ultimate version that take into account the classic run - that way you could have had a "traditional" Green Goblin instead of the Hulk version.

137372-green-goblin_400_(resized).jpgAmazing-Spider-Man-2-Harry-Osborn-Green-Goblin-Image_(resized).jpg

If you think there is something wrong with the perspective in that classic picture, then you need to take an art class. It's pretty textbook perspective. You also need to look up the definition of forced perspective, there's none of that going on in this picture.

That first goblin pic you posted, while better, IMO, than the Ultimate SM style, has a terribly drawn face.

I like the second one. The proportions are still exaggerated, but it's better than the Ultimate Spidey ones. It works better in this artist's style.

#683 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

If you think there is something wrong with the perspective in that classic picture, then you need to take an art class. It's pretty textbook perspective. You also need to look up the definition of forced perspective, there's none of that going on in this picture.

Closest I've come to posting a popcorn gif/pic

#684 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Sorry, foreshortening - in any case the hand and foot coming toward camera look squishy...looks like Stern's Kiss' attempt at it. It's been done better in other Spidey art.

Here are a variety of "comin at ya" Spideys that I think look better than that classic comic cover:

3430f8fae978c5372d8d16ceefddeb2f_(resized).jpg3430f8fae978c5372d8d16ceefddeb2f_(resized).jpg

crop_(resized).jpgcrop_(resized).jpg

marvel-universe-ultimate-spiderman_1_(resized).jpgmarvel-universe-ultimate-spiderman_1_(resized).jpg

spiderman_print_by_sandoval_art-d87gnlh_(resized).jpgspiderman_print_by_sandoval_art-d87gnlh_(resized).jpg

Unknown-1_(resized).jpegUnknown-1_(resized).jpeg

Unknown_(resized).jpegUnknown_(resized).jpeg

#685 8 years ago

Or how 'bout Mary Jane washing Spiderman's underoos?

(No offense intended to Pez-punk)

mary-jane-sideshow-exclusive-1_(resized).jpgmary-jane-sideshow-exclusive-1_(resized).jpg

#686 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Closest I've come to posting a popcorn gif/pic

No popcorn necessary, I assure you that was intended in a matter of fact manner, not as an Internet callout/mic drop.

#687 8 years ago

This would have been a badass translite, IMO

spiderman_print_by_sandoval_art-d87gnlh_(resized).jpgspiderman_print_by_sandoval_art-d87gnlh_(resized).jpg

#688 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sorry, foreshortening - in any case the hand and foot coming toward camera look squishy...looks like Stern's Kiss' attempt at it. It's been done better in other Spidey art.

Yeah, the foreshortening could be better on the foot, but compared to the Ultimate Spidey Art, that could be considered a Persian Flaw. It's also 100 times better than the Stern Kiss. For the record, I do like a lot of the modern Spidey stuff, but a lot of the new guys just blow off the basics and try to pass the time t off under the guise of "style". They had a whole Library of images to use and IMO, they picked one of the poorer chapters to pull from. I guess they could have done worse and commissioned Rob Liefield. At least they might not have had to raise the price so much.

#689 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Here are a variety of "comin at ya" Spideys that I think look better than that classic comic cover:

The FIRST one is great!

#690 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Or how 'bout Mary Jane washing Spiderman's underoos?

mary-jane-sideshow-exclusive-1_(resized).jpg

That one is better than the first. It looks like it used an Adam Hughes cover for reference. If you don't know him look him up. He draws great women. You'd dig his stuff.

#691 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Now that I've posted that pic, I keep wondering what the Innovator tag is. Big John is one of my favorites but he definitely didn't do the art. Maybe the layouts or breakdowns? Man it would be nice to see a pin with his art on it. Savage Sword of Conan or Silver Surfer!

Buscema did do the art for that splash page. It was ASM 78. Google it.

#692 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

That one is better than the first.

First is J Scott Campbell

Second is, of course, Adam Hughes

#693 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Buscema did do the art for that splash page. It was ASM 78. Google it.

I stand corrected! Guess I've been looking at too much of his Conan stuff lately. Usually, his stuff is pretty easy to distinguish. I gues this explains why the perspective is so good. Buscema was a master at it.

#694 8 years ago

Romita Sr. is the classic Spidey artist. The one who made so many iconic images of Spidey and Mary-Jane.

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#695 8 years ago

Bagley can draw Spider-Man well too but the Ultimate Spider-Man book put him back in high school. That's why he's a gangly, skinny person.

#696 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Bagley can draw Spider-Man well too but the Ultimate Spider-Man book put him back in high school. That's why he's a gangly, skinny person.

You can tell he's a good artist just by the way he did Wolverine, its just a poor concept. In that second pic his thighs look bigger than his waist... Its not really gangly, its just stylistically awful.

#697 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Romita Sr. is the classic Spidey artist. The one who made so many iconic images of Spidey and Mary-Jane.

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

I've always loved that ASM151 cover.

#698 8 years ago

800722-8015new_storyimage2331189_full_(resized).jpg800722-8015new_storyimage2331189_full_(resized).jpg

#699 8 years ago

Ultimate spiderman is fine, playfield art just would have looked better if they hired out a Marvel artist to draw a cohesive playfield image, that wasn't just an item per item marvel clipart drop in. Backglass and cabinet look fine to me.

#700 8 years ago

The art looks good but considering that Spider-Man is probably the best drawn art of all time, I'm surprised they didn't go with the more traditional look... something like McFarlane's perfection

ASM317_02-659x1024_(resized).jpgASM317_02-659x1024_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.95
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-vault-edition-images-are-here/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.