Topic Stats

• 829 posts
  • 281 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Trekkie1978
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 81 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
hitsandman_(resized).jpg
241_(resized).jpg
review-41_(resized).jpg
47_(resized).jpg
Untitled_(resized).png
lotr_bh_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160109_134130_(resized).jpg
20160109_134134_(resized).jpg
20160109_134138_(resized).jpg
20160109_134142_(resized).jpg
ASM317_02-659x1024_(resized).jpg
800722-8015new_storyimage2331189_full_(resized).jpg
pasted_image_(resized).png
pasted_image_(resized).png

There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
#451 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is this a fact? Only a handful of Pinsiders are arrogant enough to run around talking about what their financials are. I don't think you can assume that.

Of course this is not a fact. It's an opinion. There is some truth to it. But we are definitely a nation divided on Pinside when it comes to wealth. Some people just hate modern prices. That's cool. Some people have 20 pin collections and buy every NIB. That's cool too. Some of us have a million in the bank. Others pay check to paycheck. All good. It's pinball.

The price freakout over Spider-Man is a bit much considering the game, and what you get in a modern Stern vs what they packed into Spidey back then.

When the dust settles, Stern will sell everyone and those who don't think it's worth it, won't be forced to buy it. So win/win.

Some people act like these pins are college text books and we're forced to buy them at whatever price they are at.

#452 3 years ago
Quoted from thearcadegeek:

Ghostbusters is coming because there are at least 2 new movies being released in the near future. It only partially has to do with nostalgia.
Tron 3 proposed and then cancelled. That tells you enough about the general public's interest in all items Tron. Don't expect to see a Tron VE. Iron Man and Spider-man still have hugely successful movies being released, which is why it made sense to make a VE there.

Tron's a bit of an anomaly. The arcade machine was more popular than the movie. Likewise I think if Stern made a Tron re-themed after the original films look / feel (aka the classic arcade machine) it would sell like hotcakes.

#453 3 years ago

So removed the Goblin mech, cut n paste anorexic Spidey stock art, silly looking toy sculpts (esp Goblin and Sandman), no more William DaFoe or J.K. Simmons voices, and increased the price $2k? Where do I sign up? LOLOLOL

#454 3 years ago

And as the owner of a modded up HUO SM, I think that a small run of higher priced re-skinned pins does nothing to offend me. It likely protects the resale value of my machine. If they did a large run at say just under current market value for an older SM model then my value takes it on the chin... I think they did it respectful of their current ownership base while still making available an awesome machine for the "uber" fan.

#455 3 years ago

I'd be curious how much time Lyman will get to work on updates to this game if they only sell 200 of them. There are all new dots and sounds and the modes are similar but different. I'd imagine he is sole coder on this game.

#456 3 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

This pin needs to be looked at as more of a limited run than your standard premium pin, IE Acdc Luci.
I state this because being that I am a distributor for Stern here in the southwest we have been allocated a very small number of these games (single digits). This is not a make as many to appease the masses. It is a short run. Exact numbers I don't know. But I know our allotment is small. I expect ours to be sold out in the next couple of days.

I don't claim to understand the manufacturing business and this makes sense, it would seem having the lines come to a halt is really expensive(can you imagine having all those people standing around) and having low volume games fill the void to keep the lines running until the next big run seems like a smart move. Less employee turn around, off sets over head just to name a couple

Besides having the new game, think of all the new SM parts that have just been injected to the market. Sure the artworks items do not retro fit, but a lot does, like the ramps etc etc

#457 3 years ago

I know we were comparing Spider-Man VE art to RZ yesterday. Did you guys see this? Pretty cool, huh...

9dc0385bfe4d4194c624c3902ff72dd2c3c501b3_(resized).jpg

#458 3 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

At least they didn't go with the "fantastic" Spidey storylines of the 1990s Spider Clones or when Gwen slept with Osborne. Just stupid...
Don't mind me, I'm still stuck in the era of Amazing Spider-man issues #1 - #150-ish. IMHO, it started to go to hell soon after that...

1975-06-amazingspider-man145-gil-kane_(resized).jpg

Exactly right. Classic Romita artwork defines the Spiderman character and is absolutely timeless. Sometimes an original just can't be improved on.

#459 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I know we were comparing Spider-Man VE art to RZ yesterday. Did you guys see this? Pretty cool, huh...

9dc0385bfe4d4194c624c3902ff72dd2c3c501b3_(resized).jpg

Now that looks fantastic....

#460 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

So, you're saying that whatever hard costs Stern spent on doing the new animation, and voice work are the ONLY costs involved in bringing this pin to market??? Or that any other costs are negligible?? That's insane RH.
I can guarantee you, a lot of time and effort went in to this pin. Yes, the lion share of development costs were already done, but what they have done here is not nothing, and it's not inexpensive to accomplish. We don't know what it cost to bring this pin to market, but bring it to market they will, and it'll be weeks from now, and that's a great thing.
I'm done arguing about this. The good news is, there's another NIB pin available for those who want it, and Everybody's original SM is still just as good as it was before.
Let's play some pinball everybody. That's what it's all about. I'm looking forward to playing one of these in person.

So what is your tipping point of value on this pin anyway? If this was $7500 US? $8500? At what point will you not just be happy that pins are being made becasue the prices are too high? .

The truth is, this how crashes start. Manufactures start to limit their supply and raise prices instead to make the same amount of money. They say, "Let's make less pins at higher prices! We worked really hard changing the art and dots on this SM and we have been underpricing our pins apparently and need to get top dollar for our home run product we make and hard work we do on changing this art out! Let's keep testing the market on price!"

This less product at higher price shit goes on for a while and people, like you, say they think raising prices is just fine with the as long as pins are still being made. Keep them coming! People start to get off on stuff being more limited beacsue they like to "collect" pins and they only drop like $500 in price right? If SM was $3800 when pinball was less popular 8 years ago it should be $6500 today. Right? They work hard on this pinball art and dot stuff!

So all is great for a while, but then a bad title comes out and another that plays poorly and then perhaps peoples homes and stock portfolios go down 5% or more a year rather than going up 5% or more. I dont know when, but it is coming. People will sell a pin and take a bigger and bigger hit out of the box. $500 hit is nothing for most, but mabey if you are down $1000, $1500 or $2000 it could be a big deal. People start to say I will just play the 1-20 pins that I own and not buy a NIB this time around or next or next. Maybe they will buy a HUO at $2000 less! People who run routes will just repair their games and not buy new ones also. This causes less people to know anout pinball, so you cant attract more of the "take my money!" crowd that has no problem with prices going up.

Gary was all about how pinball needs to be played on location for it to survive in the future. Location this, location that, blah blah like a broken record. Then he comes out with this great kid/family game that is great for on location play and pushes the price up on the folks that buy the games for on location play. It is a missed opportunity. IMHO.

To me pinball should be like an appliance type toy, like an air hockey table or Golden Tee, more then a "collectable". They should be used for entertainment and make a little money on location. The more pins you make and sell the better because more people will play and pinball it can survive a down market with the larger numbers of potential buyers who enjoy it.

Pushing the price up and up will lower demand at some point. The reason demand is lowered could happen even if your product is great. Shit happens in this world. Maybe pinball is not that important to people anymore. Once pinball does take a drop and it will for whatever reason, I do not want it to fall hard because I love it. Most of us, myself included, do have a price that will be on to high to buy NIB pins anymore or somethig in their lives changes and they will pass. This SM at $6500 is just to high for me so I will not consider it.

Honestly Paragon for $1200 is a complete friggin bargain as I think of it again now.

#461 3 years ago

I remember a discussion in a thread like a year ago where some pinsiders were talking about the SM Vault edition possibility and that Stern should do a Premium version. Careful of what you ask for. Stern probably has considered what they want to do to maximize potential profit margins on a limited run. With MMR, GOT, ST, etc. on the production line there is limited time and resources to churn out a ton of standard pros. Stern will probably run around 200 and they will sell out at the premium price. Stern probably could have produced 400-500 standard pros but it would take longer to produce and sell. All I can say is that SM is my second favorite game and it has an awesome layout and rule set. More supply on a great title is a good thing. It is a fantastic game even with the higher price tag. The colors on the playfield are super vibrant and the DMD animations and call outs seem to be decent. The voice and comical quotes remind me of Ryan Reynolds in the new Deadpool role. Well the announcement of the IM vault made IM's drop from $6000 to $4000 overnight. I wonder if this SM Vault release will have the opposite affect? I know I love my original version and it is now bolted to the floor.

#462 3 years ago

I'd love to get this but too pricey for me. I do like the art package much better than the original but would have preferred classic Spider-man.

I'm really surprised they went with the Ultimate Spider-man considering that Marvel is in the process of ending the Ultimate line of comics. Ultimate Spidey won't exist in 2016.

#463 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Tron's a bit of an anomaly. The arcade machine was more popular than the movie. Likewise I think if Stern made a Tron re-themed after the original films look / feel (aka the classic arcade machine) it would sell like hotcakes.

It was hardly more popular than the movie. Millions of people saw the movie. Thousands have played the pin. Let's keep it in perspective.

#464 3 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

Yes, I've been inspecting for a few minutes and one boob is definitely quite a bit larger than the other one or just extremely swollen. I'm not sure which
Thoughts?

The machine is out of level.

5378de3cb6b49bf3ec9a12e4e344bebe1cbd9158_(resized).png

#465 3 years ago

Looks really nice.

#466 3 years ago

Goody. I didn't know it was going to stand for Spider Man Vomit Edition.

Sigh

#467 3 years ago

OK so the tally of responses seems to be....

35 % = "It's a ripoff!"

15 % = "Looks sweet! I'm willing to overlook the ridiculous price, lazy, stock art, and removal of moving goblin to buy this!"

50 % = "For no particular reason and for no real benefit to this thread, I'd like to point out that I own an original Spider-Man, with mods!"

Did I get that right?

#468 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK so the tally of responses seems to be....
35 % = "It's a ripoff!"
15 % = "Looks sweet! I'm willing to overlook the ridiculous price, lazy, stock art, and removal of goblin to buy this!"
50 % = "For no particular reason and for no real benefit to this thread, I'd like to point out that I own an original Spider-Man, with mods!"
Did I get that right?

2% Mary Jane's left boob is lopsided

#469 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Not a fan of XMen?

Like the game hate the call outs

#470 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I'd be willing to bet that in the future, it'll be this version of Spider-Man that collectors will be clamoring for. The art is timeless and isn't locked into using photorealistic artwork from a lackluster movie.

Yes this was my first thought too.

#471 3 years ago

with a limited edition plaque, can Stern raise the price to 9000-10000$?

#472 3 years ago
Quoted from jchiu:

2% Mary Jane's left boob is lopsided

that looks horrible, they need to change that sling before release!!!

#473 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So what is your tipping point of value on this pin anyway? If this was $7500 US? $8500? At what point will you not just be happy that pins are being made becasue the prices are too high? .
The truth is, this how crashes start. Manufactures start to limit their supply and raise prices instead to make the same amount of money. They say, "Let's make less pins at higher prices! We worked really hard changing the art and dots on this SM and we have been underpricing our pins apparently and need to get top dollar for our home run product we make and hard work we do on changing this art out! Let's keep testing the market on price!"
This less product at higher price shit goes on for a while and people, like you, say they think raising prices is just fine with the as long as pins are still being made. Keep them coming! People start to get off on stuff being more limited beacsue they like to "collect" pins and they only drop like $500 in price right? If SM was $3800 when pinball was less popular 8 years ago it should be $6500 today. Right? They work hard on this pinball art and dot stuff!
So all is great for a while, but then a bad title comes out and another that plays poorly and then perhaps peoples homes and stock portfolios go down 5% or more a year rather than going up 5% or more. I dont know when, but it is coming. People will sell a pin and take a bigger and bigger hit out of the box. $500 hit is nothing for most, but mabey if you are down $1000, $1500 or $2000 it could be a big deal. People start to say I will just play the 1-20 pins that I own and not buy a NIB this time around or next or next. Maybe they will buy a HUO at $2000 less! People who run routes will just repair their games and not buy new ones also. This causes less people to know anout pinball, so you cant attract more of the "take my money!" crowd that has no problem with prices going up.
Gary was all about how pinball needs to be played on location for it to survive in the future. Location this, location that, blah blah like a broken record. Then he comes out with this great kid/family game that is great for on location play and pushes the price up on the folks that buy the games for on location play. It is a missed opportunity. IMHO.
To me pinball should be like an appliance type toy, like an air hockey table or Golden Tee, more then a "collectable". They should be used for entertainment and make a little money on location. The more pins you make and sell the better because more people will play and pinball it can survive a down market with the larger numbers of potential buyers who enjoy it.
Pushing the price up and up will lower demand at some point. The reason demand is lowered could happen even if your product is great. Shit happens in this world. Maybe pinball is not that important to people anymore. Once pinball does take a drop and it will for whatever reason, I do not want it to fall hard because I love it. Most of us, myself included, do have a price that will be on to high to buy NIB pins anymore or somethig in their lives changes and they will pass. This SM at $6500 is just to high for me so I will not consider it.
Honestly Paragon for $1200 is a complete friggin bargain as I think of it again now.

It actually doesn't matter what MY tipping point is, just like it doesn't matter what YOUR tipping point is. The market is growing. Stern is growing.

Let's put it this way. If somebody had a NIB SM original, what would they have been asking for it in December?? I bet it would have been more than $6500 delivered.

Yes, markets change, and corrections come. Things will change in pinball... but nobody here has the faintest idea of how that will shake out.

What is a fact is that current owners of a minty HUO SM would want many pretty pennies to part with their machines. That has to be taken in to account when you price a NIB machine.

You obviously put a lot of thought, and time in to your response, but it's all based on completely hypothetical situations and numbers, and therefor meaningless. I don't mean that as a jab in any way, I mean that like... "Ya... maybe, but who knows?!"

We'll know if this machine was priced right in a few months, I guess. What the people of Pinside desire the price of NIB pins to be does not set the price of NIB pins it seems!

#474 3 years ago

I need to see more gameplay video's before I can make a decision to buy it or not. I don't have room for another pin so it will have to replace TAF or SS and I can't determine that unless I've seen more videos. Since I've owned an original SM I know the shots are fun but I need to see more sound and dots. But I like the looks of this one a lot more then the original I owned.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I agree, the math just doesn't add up.
If an OP purchased a game for $7500 and charged $1 a game, split with the establishment 50/50, they would need to have a minimum of 15,000 games on the machine with zero maintenance cost to recoup their investment and start earning.
I believe Stern could really change things up by forming an "Operator Success" group that focuses on making sure operators are maximizing their earnings from the machines. Possibly put in some alternate outcome based model where Stern only makes profit when the operator makes profit.

That's not really true though, right? You don't expect to zero your balance sheet with profit do you?? The pin has liquid value.

If an OP purchased this machine, and started earning on it, they would have the revenue from the earnings, plus the asset of the value of the machine sold second hand, correct?

I'm not an OP, so I don't have expertise here, but when I look at the value proposition on buying a machine, I consider what I need to lay out, what I will get from owning it (enjoyment), and what I will recoup when I decide to sell? Simple.

#476 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

with a limited edition plaque, can Stern raise the price to 9000-10000$?

Honestly, if I was running Stern and wanted to get a high price for a low run, I would have put out an actual number with plaques. That would immediately create more of a demand from those that like it or are on the fence, and keep the perceived future value higher. Tell everyone that there will only be 250 made, number them, and make it a true limited run. Heck, even 'broke as hell' me would perk up a little, because I like limited edition things for whatever reason. Tell me it's limited and there will never be any more made ever, and suddenly I'm at least considering it.

(And being that it is Stern, I'd know that my money would be much safer and my machine would actually ship, rather than the last 250 run machine I tried to get. )

#477 3 years ago

we could have thought that concurrence growing will make stabilizing prices or decreasing them but they are all the same.

#478 3 years ago

Thought I'd add my comments to the thread. Only NIB game I have bought was a Red Spiderman. Love it and love the artwork. I've never understood the negative comments on the art. Other than the slings, I think the red looks awesome. Spiderman on the backglass and cab looks fantastic. That said....

- I think the art on the VE looks awesome. Love the cabinet details.
- AMAZED that people are surprised at the price. I was fully expecting Premium pricing (and LE pricing makes sense, my next point). Take a look at Star Trek Pro vs. Premium. What are the differences? Some art and a few minor physical differences -- Prem has VUK, lit apron, and metal habit trails. What does SM have? Two VUKs and two metal habit trails. When the rumour of SM VE started to look "real", I was certain it would be priced at Premium and that was discussed by many. No surprise there.
- this is going to be THE Spiderman to own going forward and will be the most collectible. Of that I am certain. I doubt the production run is going to be large. Really it should be called VLE - Vault Limited Edition. To me, I think LE pricing is in line given what is going to happen on the secondary market -- this game will go up in value. I imagine Stern has thought that through and doesn't want to leave money on the table.

Like many, I don't like rising pinball prices. But I get why this one is more than a traditional Pro model. In this case, it doesn't effect me at all. I'll gladly keep my original and keep enjoying it. I'm finally going to change to LEDs for GI, though. After seeing video of the VE, I have to admit mine isn't as bright. I prefer the voice call outs of my original as well, so even if priced similar -- say a grand more, I'd still keep mine.

I'm happy for those that can afford and appreciate the new one. I loved my one and only NIB experience. It was a blast and I hope the new owners have that same feeling

For those that are complaining about the price, buy a HUO original. Still plenty out there. Same great game

Happy flipping!

#479 3 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

(And being that it is Stern, I'd know that my money would be much safer and my machine would actually ship, rather than the last 250 run machine I tried to get. )

I see your point. The 250 limit should be banned: Make it 200 or 300! 250 is the Number-That-Should-Not-Be-Numbered!

By the way, I don't expect many RZ buyers to abandon ship for SMVE!

#480 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I'm not an OP, so I don't have expertise here, but when I look at the value proposition on buying a machine, I consider what I need to lay out, what I will get from owning it (enjoyment), and what I will recoup when I decide to sell? Simple.

The calculation for a toy/home use is simple.
The math is not so simple if you are trying to earn a living off of it.

#481 3 years ago

problem is this game is sold with the current prices (explosion of costs at all levels, production, labor, etc) while the game has been released in 2007. what was the price of SM at this date? what would be its price for a premium model at this date?

i bet Lotr premium will come and others.

#482 3 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

Like many, I don't like rising pinball prices. But I get why this one is more than a traditional Pro model.

I don't think anyone was expecting or asking for Pro pricing. We were expecting VE pricing which should be at a discount because of the money saved in design and programming. They didn't have to pay Steve Ritchie to design a new layout. How much do you think that costs? They should have left the custom armor, shaker motor, and playfield protectors out and sold them as add-ons. Price it at 6,750MSRP and 5,500 shipped and I think the only thing pinside would be complaining about is the use of Ultimate Spidy vs older artwork. Oh and the lopsided boob.

#483 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

The calculation for a toy/home use is simple.
The math is not so simple if you are trying to earn a living off of it.

Sure it is. My point is the machine is a valuable asset. You don't need to get 15,000 plays to see your return on investment and make money. You need to make more than the difference of what you paid vs what you could sell it for.

#484 3 years ago

Actually done now. Happy pinball everybody. I'm going to go play a few games right now!

#485 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Looks great. So the street price should be around $6200 based in similar msrp for premiums.

The fact that it's higher than that must be a tough pill to swallow

#486 3 years ago

I think what a lot are saying on here is that if you started out from scratch on a new game, you would have design and layout cost figured into the cost of the machine. With a VE machine they do not have that cost or if they have some it is definitely a lot lower in the cost of the machine.. So what does stern do, add a few things such as new side rails. and charge a premium price. Cant tell me they are make a bigger profit on this machine verses another new pro or even a new premium. there is a lot of money spent in this hobby and they are just trying to make a bigger profit on us with less input cost on their VE machines.. I own a iron man VE and there is no way they have $2100 dollars more cost in this new VE. I have always wanted a spidey pin but sometimes you just got to say enough is enough. guess I will just wait to buy one after someone is done with theirs.. just my 2 cents..

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Sure it is. My point is the machine is a valuable asset. You don't need to get 15,000 plays to see your return on investment and make money. You need to make more than the difference of what you paid vs what you could sell it for.

Calling it "Simple" seems insensitive to OPs trying to make a living off of operating games.
I agree, there is a residual value to selling a game - but ops have to figure out if they can make a decent living off of it.

#488 3 years ago

Pricing is the same as current premium pricing which is reasonable for a small run. Spiderman already has that value. Sterns costs aren't reduced on this. Ordering a short supply of new playfields won't get them the same discount as ordering thousands of new playfields. Spiderman fans are lucky Stern can squeeze this in. Brand new for the price of HUO is an easy decision if you like the artwork. How awesome will this look next to a Luci??

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Brand new for the price of HUO is an easy decision if you like the artwork. How awesome will this look next to a Luci??

It's actually brand new for about $1000-1500 more than HUO. How is that an easy decision?

#490 3 years ago

LOTR Vault Edition coming next. 10k I hear.

#491 3 years ago

My MET Pro just went up in price. If SMVE is worth 6,500 my MET Pro has to be worth at least 5,500. It's got hand drawn art, sweet custom dots, metal ramps, custom callouts from the band, playfield protectors, shaker motor, subwoofer... Thanks SMVE!

#492 3 years ago

Saying people will buy the pin regardless of its 7500 price is like saying people would buy gasoline at $4.50. Yes, people will. But its not fair. At those prices, compition will arise and put data east out of business.

#493 3 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

My MET Pro just went up in price. If SMVE is worth 6,500 my MET Pro has to be worth at least 5,500.

Only problem is that most people are saying SMVE isn't worth 6500...

#494 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Gary Stern recently said that 50-60% of sales is for operating business not home collectors. Would an operator invest $7500?

The vast majority of U.S. sales is to collectors, while the vast majority of sales overseas is to operators resulting in a net split like you mention.

There are plenty of operators that put Premium/LE games on location -- price doesn't matter as much as earnings. Back in the arcade heyday a game became obsolete and worthless after a few years, but today they retain most of their original value, so depreciation isn't a big factor... it's all about earnings.

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Only problem is that most people are saying SMVE isn't worth 6500...

but but... it's got completed code and custom laser etched ramps! that's worth something isn't it?

#496 3 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Tell everyone that there will only be 250 made, number them, and make it a true limited run. Heck, even 'broke as hell' me would perk up a little, because I like limited edition things for whatever reason. Tell me it's limited and there will never be any more made ever, and suddenly I'm at least considering it.

But this is the myth of limited runs in my view. What's going to become of this LE when two years from now they issue Spiderman Marvel Black VE LE and then follow that with Spiderman Marvel Red VE LE.

Personally I'll wait for the "Son of Spiderman meets Rocky 3" edition.

#497 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

It actually doesn't matter what MY tipping point is, just like it doesn't matter what YOUR tipping point is. The market is growing. Stern is growing.
Let's put it this way. If somebody had a NIB SM original, what would they have been asking for it in December?? I bet it would have been more than $6500 delivered.
Yes, markets change, and corrections come. Things will change in pinball... but nobody here has the faintest idea of how that will shake out.
What is a fact is that current owners of a minty HUO SM would want many pretty pennies to part with their machines. That has to be taken in to account when you price a NIB machine.
You obviously put a lot of thought, and time in to your response, but it's all based on completely hypothetical situations and numbers, and therefor meaningless. I don't mean that as a jab in any way, I mean that like... "Ya... maybe, but who knows?!"
We'll know if this machine was priced right in a few months, I guess. What the people of Pinside desire the price of NIB pins to be does not set the price of NIB pins it seems!

I know you weren't jabbing at me and I wasn't jabbing at you. I see what you are saying about if someone says "future may be this or that" is not something that should be taken as a given. They rarely ever are a given, but pieces of info can come true. It is healthy to think out of the box and look at what the future could be like and how you would respond to it.

I wnet through the baseball card crash so here is A real life example - I was into collecting baseball cards in the late 70's and 80's and sold them all before I went to college in 1990, so I did great, but I learned a lot about the value of stuff that people collect, both good and bad lessons. At the time I always thought baseball cards would be relevant forever. People love baseball and kids collect them and will want them in the future to look back on their childhoods. Packs of cards were 20 cents when I started collecting. People liked them and they were fun and had some value. Then gimmicks started to came around - rookie cards, random autographed cards in packs, cards with players cut up jerseys in them. As the gimmicks came out the price of packs went up .50, $1, $2, $3! Kids were getting priced out and collectors were buying up all these gimmicks like they were really worth it. People said "The price of a pack needs to double because of the technolgy to put a piece of cloth jersey in a card." Well guess what happened in the early 90's. The collectors started saying "these dont hold really hold there value anymore, so I am out." The crash happened.

I was down right impressed when Stern priced IMVE at the Pro price they did. No gimmicks on that one. I went and bought my first NIB. I thought they were going to charge a little more and I would have paid it to be honest. That was my first Stern and I really learned to dig them and would consider any new one that comes out form Stern. IM made me really enjoy the feel and play of them. If they changed the art on IMVE and put it at $6200 though I am not sure I would not have bought one though. Stern could have put them at that price and they would have sold alright, but they did not, so I was in and really like Sterns now.

Long term making less profit per machine and selling more machines to more people will be better for pinball then charging fewer people more money per pin. We are a small pond and companies like Stern need to earn more money from new customers and not just charging current ones more and more. This is a total prediction and I coild be wrong, but I am basing this on past experiences. That's all.

So, I, like many others, may be crying about the price, but I am more crying because I am disappointed in Stern for streching for a Premium and being gimmicky to add a higher price on this already made before pin. They could have sold more and put more pinballs out there with a lower price with this great pin and great on location pin also. This would just be awesome on location. As Gary says about pinball play and its future - "its about location, location, location."

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's actually brand new for about $1000-1500 more than HUO. How is that an easy decision?

Reread "if you like the artwork". Lucis are worth more than AC/DC premiums to those that like the artwork more.

#499 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Personally I'll wait for the "Son of Spiderman meets Rocky 3" edition.

With playfield signed by Elvis.

#500 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Some of us have a million in the bank. Others pay check to paycheck.

And most of us are somewhere in the middle being squeezed by American greed from every direction.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside