5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Strohz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 months ago

Hi guys wondering if anyone has suggestions for this problem on my stern spider Man. Most hits on doc Ock are registering but I am also getting a lot of hits that don't register. I already replaced the transmitter opto and in test mode it works every time it seems like the only time it does not work is when the ball hits doc Ock super fast.

#2 5 months ago

Mine would do this just after I waxed the playfield, so your right about a fast ball causing it.

#3 5 months ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Hi guys wondering if anyone has suggestions for this problem on my stern spider Man. Most hits on doc Ock are registering but I am also getting a lot of hits that don't register. I already replaced the transmitter opto and in test mode it works every time it seems like the only time it does not work is when the ball hits doc Ock super fast.

Make sure the magnet core is level with the playfield. If not then the ball could be jumping off the core and over the opto beam I suppose.

#4 5 months ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Make sure the magnet core is level with the playfield. If not then the ball could be jumping off the core and over the opto beam I suppose.

Ok thanks DCFAN I will try checking that out tomorrow.

#5 5 months ago

Along the lines of what dcfan suggests, do you have a protector around the magnet that could cause the ball to jump? This was an issue with prison hits in twd.

#6 5 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Along the lines of what dcfan suggests, do you have a protector around the magnet that could cause the ball to jump? This was an issue with prison hits in twd.

Ok thanks Rob me and my dad actually already checked the Cliffy protector and made sure it is flat and not causing a jump.

#7 5 months ago

The only other things I can think of are:

1. A loose wire or bad solder joint on the optos, or
    2. You said you replaced the transmitter opto, but what about the receiver opto?

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

2. You said you replaced the transmitter opto, but what about the receiver opto?

A couple other things that could cause problems is having a reflective material such as stainless steel or having added lights in that area.

In WOZ some people had problems with the orbit optos not working consistently because of the steel brackets they used for the optos were causing the opto beam to bounce/reflect off and not see the ball. They ended up changing the brackets to painted black.

#9 5 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Ok thanks Rob i will tell my dad about changing the receiver opto.

Quoted from DCFAN:

A couple other things that could cause problems is having a reflective material such as stainless steel or having added lights in that area.
    In WOZ some people had problems with the orbit optos not working consistently because of the steel brackets they used for the optos were causing the opto beam to bounce/reflect off and not see the ball. They ended up changing the brackets to painted black.

Thanks DCFAN i don't think that is the problem though because i have not added any extra lighting or done anything different to the game it just started acting up recently.

#10 5 months ago

I believe the receiver opto and the transmitter opto are the same part number in SM. I would recommend changing both and make sure they are mounted lined up with the ball guide correctly.

#11 5 months ago

I had a carbon fiber cliffy on my Doc Ock magnet. It definitely caused the ball to skip over the opto sometimes. The Doc Ock figure would lower so it could be struck by the ball. Hard shots would hit the cliffy and the ball would jump over the opto and strike Doc Ock but not register. I also had a similar problem on TWD prison magnet that had a carbon fiber cliffy. Hard shots would hit the cliffy and skip over the opto. The ball would strike the prison door but not register. You may not think those thin cliffy protectors can cause the ball to jump but the absolutely do.

#12 5 months ago

Finally got back home to mess with spider Man I raised the magnet up a little bit and made sure it is even with the playfield and it's registering every time now. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

#13 5 months ago
    Quoted from rawbars:

I had a carbon fiber cliffy on my Doc Ock magnet. It definitely caused the ball to skip over the opto sometimes. The Doc Ock figure would lower so it could be struck by the ball. Hard shots would hit the cliffy and the ball would jump over the opto and strike Doc Ock but not register. I also had a similar problem on TWD prison magnet that had a carbon fiber cliffy. Hard shots would hit the cliffy and skip over the opto. The ball would strike the prison door but not register. You may not think those thin cliffy protectors can cause the ball to jump but the absolutely do.

I had the same problem and uninstalled the carbon cliffy and installed the very thin metal cliffy. This works perfect now.

Also, you have to ask Cliff for the metal version.

#14 5 months ago

Now is a good time to buy an infrared detector.

#15 5 months ago

So tangential to the original problem, but anyone else have problems with the ball bouncing back out of the Doc Ock hole with a direct shot? It's frustrating, so not sure if it is common or if foam, adjustments, or what might help if you did. Thanks and glad you got the original problem fixed.

#16 5 months ago
    Quoted from Strohz:

So tangential to the original problem, but anyone else have problems with the ball bouncing back out of the Doc Ock hole with a direct shot? It's frustrating, so not sure if it is common or if foam, adjustments, or what might help if you did. Thanks and glad you got the original problem fixed.

Most people put rubber foam in back. Common problem.

#17 5 months ago
    Quoted from cpr9999:

Most people put rubber foam in back. Common problem.

Thanks, my friend has one and never has an issue so I wasn't sure if it was an adjustment on mine or common. I'll try some Pinbits foam.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 269.00
    $ 199.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Medisinyl Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 24.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside