Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jrotten
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Quality or quantity?”

• 3 pro priced games 57 votes
      53%
    • 2 premium priced 45 votes
      42%
    • 1 LE priced, 1 pro priced 5 votes
      5%

(107 votes)

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Yes it does , Slop Sloppy Joes! Needs extra sauce

And even though you’re wrong, it’s good to see you back in the forum.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from VGC1612:

I would probably get the whole Sega showcase pinball lineup for that total

Man, those games do not get enough love. Every one of them is just straight fun.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

And even though you’re wrong, it’s good to see you back in the forum.

no one believes a talking dog

#54 1 year ago

What good is quantity if you don't enjoy playing them, they require lots of upkeep, and they take up unnecessary room? If you have limited budget, then my preference is fewer "quality" machines that you enjoy playing.

#55 1 year ago

Pro / LE doesn't define quality for me. It's up to the individual games if I like them or not.
    That being said, quality over quantity.
    I'd rather have a few games I really like to play than dozens of games I don't like to play.

#56 1 year ago

Why are multiple people equating quantity with games you don’t like? Why on earth would you buy a game at any price that you don’t like?

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why are multiple people equating quantity with games you don’t like? Why on earth would you buy a game at any price that you don’t like?

For the joy of fixing it and trying to turn a profit.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from rod90:

For the joy of fixing it and trying to turn a profit.

What does that have to do with the OPs original question? You bring up an entirely different part of the hobby that the OP isn’t concerned with here.

#59 1 year ago

I was taught, always buy the best you can afford of anything. It will always be worth more and always be in demand.

#60 1 year ago

All games, regardless of depth and quality get less exciting of you play them alot. A larger collection of great games will be more fun than two stellar titles. I'd take a room full of ss titles over two current premiums any day.

#61 1 year ago

If you have the space, go for lower cost and more variety. I could trim my collection to purchase a few more highly rated titles. But there is no one game that would beat the enjoyment I would get out of even my lowest rated pair.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneironaut:

I was taught, always buy the best you can afford of anything. It will always be worth more and always be in demand.

Guess whoever taught you that never bought a MB, BMW or other German luxury car and tried to sell it used.

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Guess whoever taught you that never bought a MB, BMW or other German luxury car and tried to sell it used.

That 1 cherry BMW will always be worth more than 4 Ladas.

#64 1 year ago

I currently have five pins, with a sixth arriving later this week, and they’re all ‘quality’. However, they’re vastly different in price because they’re from different eras.

We’re in London and lucky enough to live in cycling distance, or a short train ride, from multiple venues with 30+ pinball machines. So, I’ve reviewed more than a hundred pins, so far, and played others insufficient to review. The ones that we *really* like, which we come back to again and again, we buy. They range in price from £1,600 to £11,000.

We have:

1. Godzilla Prem - played 40 times on location before purchasing. One of the first people in the UK to get a Premium because I’d played the first Pro on location in the UK;
    2. Attack from Mars - my favourite (and most affordable) of MM, AFM and Stranger Things, which have basically the same layout. Ours plays nicely, but had a faded cab, so we didn’t pay what collectors were asking for their nice ones with the Bill Ung mods already fitted;
    3. Alien Poker - one of my favourite 80s pins. No multiball, so it’s all about the accuracy of shooting down targets. Easy to learn, hard to master, and has a zany cheesy theme (and sound effects). We got one working, but in poor condition, from a guy who’d been ripped off from a scammer and just wanted rid of it;
    4. Fish Tales - our first pin and still my favourite. We’ve had it for two years and I’ve never got bored. Some great shots, great humour, and possibly the best (and one of the hardest) multi-balls in pinball. It is really cheap compared to a lot of DMD-era games because of the theme (?) and the simplicity (?). Who knows? It’s brilliant. Played hundreds of times on the Williams Pinball app on iPad before we bought a physical one;
    5. Creature from the Black Lagoon - largely my husband’s pin. Great retro theme, nice flow, and a brilliantly memorable multi-ball, although the rules are pretty simple. A true classic;
    6. Total Nuclear Annihilation - fell in love on my first play and waited nearly two years for a factory run of the collector’s edition. It’s a mash-up of an 80s single-level pin with modern lights/sounds/speed, and is unlike anything else in pinball. Instant classic and, critically, not made by Stern. When we get ours, there will be about 14 in the UK. TNA will be, when it finally arrives, our most expensive pin.

Sooo…

It’s not about quantity - vs - quality. It’s about raw enjoyment. Play loads of games. If you like one, buy it. If it’s rare, you might need to wait for a while before one comes up. Price is not an indication of quality, or of your likely enjoyment of a specific pin.

#65 1 year ago

My two favorite games in the whole wide world are The Big Lebowski and Harlem Globetrotters.

One cost me 14-15k with add-ons, the other just 1k and is a players condition.

Love them both. Will probably never part with either.

One would fit in the quality category, the other quantity.

So I don't think it's a this-or-that type of scenario. I think most people may have their foot in both camps. Collectors may not, but players probably will.

#66 1 year ago

A big part of the hobby for me is trying new machines and really being able to dig into them. I'm a big fan of the temporary trade, and/or of the concept of rotating machines so that I always have something new to try. I also believe that 5 or 6 tops is the max you can realistically maintain get use out of. At least thats my limit. With that I'd go:

1 Stern Pro. I'd go Deadpool (There is one on the market at $6500). Play it 6 months then temp trade it 3 for another Stern. Repeat the cycle.
    1 90s DMD I'd go Fish Tales here. Great tough (fast game). $4,000. Play it 6 months then temp trade it 3 for another 90s DMD. Repeat.
    1 System 11. I'd Go Whirlwind ($4,000). Play it 6 months then temp trade it 3 for another 90s system 11. Repeat
    1 early solid state with modern boards thrown in. I'd go Black Knight ($3,000). Play it 6 months then temp trade it 3 for another 80s early solid state. Repeat.
    1 nice Gottilieb Wedge Head EM. I'd go Abra Cadabra ($2500). Play it 6 months then temp trade it 3 for another EM.

Thats a solid 5 pin lineup with 5 games that all play very differently. Trade 1 pin per month or temp trade 1 pin per month and have something new to play forever on your budget. With the exception that I have a P3 (not recommended in this budget) this is what I do, although I do more permanent trades than temporary.

#67 1 year ago

I would buy 1 Bond 60th at $20k.

*Said no one ever

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneironaut:

Looking for a buyer for my top of the line Betamax machine.

And my laptop - Windows 98 still works.

Also have an awesome 400 disc cd changer.

No lowball offers.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Based solely on fun factor, if you all had a pinball budget of around $20k, how would you spend it? Would you go for quantity and buy something like three pro sterns, quality in 2 premium machines or split the difference and go for one higher end tittle/ LE and a lesser , cheaper game? Have you personally dealt with this sweet dilemma?

No matter how high of quality of a machine you go for, it's going to eventually get stale. I would spread it around to 3+ machines to keep it fresh. Also, always play something before you buy. There's nothing more disappointing than buyers remorse if you think you'd like a theme or looks of a table, but the play is boring or poorly executed.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

That's the topic title. Quality OR quantity.
    Not: quality or more quality.

I understood you have to trade one for the other, you can't have both.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Would you go for quantity and buy something like three pro sterns, quality in 2 premium machines or split the difference and go for one higher end tittle/ LE and a lesser , cheaper game?

Where in here did they say, “would you rather buy more bad games or fewer good games?”

I also don’t see anywhere in their original post that buying more games that cost less would be games they don’t like, and buying the more expensive games and less of them would be games they like.

I assumed they meant, when buying games you like, would you rather have all top trim levels and fewer games, or would you rather have more games?

Quality = more expensive per the post
    Quantity = less expensive per the post.

#72 1 year ago

LEs are nice, but they often are more or less the same as the Premium machines in terms of props and features. Unfortunately most Pro machines have a fairly dramatic drop in quality and I'd never settle for one. I'd do 2 Premiums all day before I could get 3 or even 4 Pro machines.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

LEs are nice, but they often are more or less the same as the Premium machines in terms of props and features. Unfortunately most Pro machines have a fairly dramatic drop in quality and I'd never settle for one. I'd do 2 Premiums all day before I could get 3 or even 4 Pro machines.

There is NO drop in quality on a Stern pro as far as the components that matter are concerned. Yes premiums/LE get 3d sculpts instead of flat plastic pieces but that doesn’t affect the quality of the components that interact with the ball.They are in the same cabinets as the premiums and LEs ( just different artwork on them). All of the mechs used in the pros are the exact same mechs used in premium/LE ( although the premium LE games contain more mechs and/or a unique mech that the pro does not have)Flipper mechs, pop bumpers, etc. all exactly the same mechs through all versions. Sometimes the playfield is even exactly the same for all versions ( for example Foo fighters the main playfield is the same, although more stuff is added to it premium/LE) Same exact components=same quality. There is just more quantity of components in the premium and LEs. Sometimes the added stuff on premiums just doesn’t add anything to the enjoyment of gameplay so it can be debated which version is more enjoyable. Cosmetic features are debatable as to whether or not they are better on the more expensive versions also. For example in my opinion Foo Fighters pro has the best art package of all the versions. I also feel the same way about Iron Maiden pro has the best art package.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

There is NO drop in quality on a Stern pro as far as the components that matter are concerned. Yes premiums/LE get 3d sculpts instead of flat plastic pieces but that doesn’t affect the quality of the components that interact with the ball.They are in the same cabinets as the premiums and LEs ( just different artwork on them). All of the mechs used in the pros are the exact same mechs used in premium/LE ( although the premium LE games contain more mechs and/or a unique mech that the pro does not have)Flipper mechs, pop bumpers, etc. all exactly the same mechs through all versions. Sometimes the playfield is even exactly the same for all versions ( for example Foo fighters the main playfield is the same, although more stuff is added to it premium/LE) Same exact components=same quality. There is just more quantity of components in the premium and LEs. Sometimes the added stuff on premiums just doesn’t add anything to the enjoyment of gameplay so it can be debated which version is more enjoyable. Cosmetic features are debatable as to whether or not they are better on the more expensive versions also. For example in my opinion Foo Fighters pro has the best art package of all the versions. I also feel the same way about Iron Maiden pro has the best art package.

He said he won’t settle for it, Pros are for poor people

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

He said he won’t settle for it, Pros are for poor people

It’s his right to spend his money however he sees fit. I’d just argue that sometimes choosing a pro would not be “settling” at all. I’d even argue that in some cases the pro is the best version of certain games.

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

It’s his right to spend his money however he sees fit. I’d just argue that sometimes choosing a pro would not be “settling” at all. I’d even argue that in some cases the pro is the best version of certain games.

This is too logical, but pros are only better when the premium is worse and vice versa

#77 1 year ago

Would be nice if the OP could come back to the thread with a followup instead of jumping ship

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Would be nice if the OP could come back to the thread with a followup instead of jumping ship

Typical, look at previous threads. Same questions but asked differently.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Add this to the pile of these same threads that pop up almost daily
    Noob posts “Hi Pinside! Tell me what to do with my money!!!”

Same 30 guys pile in and give their suggestions

Noob drifts away

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Add this to the pile of these same threads that pop up almost daily
    Noob posts “Hi Pinside! Tell me what to do with my money!!!”
    Same 30 guys pile in and give their suggestions
    Noob drifts away

Exactly, Some can’t figure out what game to buy, then they don’t pull the trigger anyway. The threads go on & on. OP, take your 20k & get what you want or delete this thread.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spending-go-for-quality-or-quantity-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.