(Topic ID: 28082)

Spelling Police - Typo in Pinside Karma info

By lukex

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    review-44.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Don't penalise me for this but "You abuse, you loose!" in the Pinside Karma info page should read "You abuse, you lose!". Sorry for being the spelling police here but that's my thing!

#2 11 years ago

good catch

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from lukex:

Don't penalise me for this but "You abuse, you loose!" in the Pinside Karma info page should read "You abuse, you lose!". Sorry for being the spelling police here but that's my thing!

Obviously not a Stern owner. Whomp..Whomp...

#4 11 years ago

Also if you are in your collection area and want to put a game for sale the options are "minor repair" and then "mayor repair"

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from MiSC90:

Also if you are in your collection area and want to put a game for sale the options are "minor repair" and then "mayor repair"

The city I work in could use mayor repair.

#6 11 years ago

paying homage

review-44.jpgreview-44.jpg

#7 11 years ago

Looks like we do have a Stern owner.

#8 11 years ago

Wow..... it is fixed already. Now I won't 'loose' any more sleep!

#9 11 years ago

Thanks for the message, fixed the two typos mentioned above!

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks for the message, fixed the two typos mentioned above!

My wish is to see the "Donation's to Pinside" thread title corrected. An apostrophe does not make a word plural. "Donations" would be a better spelling.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from lukex:

I'm beginning to think that it's not always related to misspelling, rather incorrect use. I try to look the other way when I see the incorrect usage of lose/loose, but for some reason or other it drives me crazy! For the amount of times I've seen this word incorrectly used, (not just here, but everywhere) I truly believe that more people simply don't know how or when to use the correct word. Am I loosing my mind? (ha - just a joke. I know it should be losing...)

Due to this, there are many websites & blogs that are dedicated to this topic for us OCD folks.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobertG:

My wish is to see the "Donation's to Pinside" thread title corrected. An apostrophe does not make a word plural. "Donations" would be a better spelling.

Done, let me know if it is correct.

#13 11 years ago

this thread makes me smile a bit.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from lukex:

Funny....Spelling police is your thing, but you misspelled 'penalize'

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Funny....Spelling police is your thing, but you misspelled 'penalize'

You beat me to it!

#17 11 years ago

Penalize is the generally accepted spelling. Penalise, is a misspelling that I suppose has gained acceptance. If you're the spelling police, you should use the first one

Plus, pinside, flags Penalise as misspelled, so that should be the official determination

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Penalize is the generally accepted spelling. Penalise, is a misspelling that I suppose has gained acceptance. If you're the spelling police, you should use the first one
    Plus, pinside, flags Penalise as misspelled, so that should be the official determination

You do realize this site is not just for Americans don't you?

If your going to critique the usage of language you should at least look at an individuals nationality. Sheesh.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

If your going to critique the usage of language you should at least look at an individuals nationality. Sheesh.

Thanks.... I would have jumped on earlier to state my case but I just woke up...... In sunny Melbourne, Australia!!

#20 11 years ago

That Stern typo shouldn't have happened though. That's just poor proofing.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from joestro78:

That Stern typo shouldn't have happened though. That's just poor proofing.

That is because they use spellcheck which doesn't do context checking.
    A mined is a terrible thing to waist.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

That is because they use spellcheck which doesn't do context checking.
    A mined is a terrible thing to waist.

Yeah, should have been a peace of cake!

Bad puns are awesome

#23 11 years ago

All of this started for me when I read an eBay description claiming that their machine had a very 'shinny' playfield.

Since then, I have seen that same mistake made numerous times and it gets to me as much as the first time I saw it.

I really need to get a life!

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from lukex:

'shinny' playfield.

Hahaha.... that one is forgivable because it's so funny.
    I think my biggest word usage pet peeve is "idea" and "ideal."

#25 11 years ago

What about people who say "So if I was to say..." instead of "Suffice to say..."

Love that one.

#26 11 years ago

Irregardless, you're point is literally a good one.

-Steve

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Evets:

-Steve

Exactly (and very funny by the way).... that stuff kills me!.... and I just notised that I got a thums down on the origenal post??? I think I may have opened a "Tandoori's Box"

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from lukex:

and I just notised that I got a thums down on the origenal post??? I think I may have opened a "Tandoori's Box"

Cant peeple take a jerk? Its all in good flavor! Were getting way to Sirius about this!

#29 11 years ago

This has a few good ones as well.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

B.t.w. this tread makes me feel nervous about writing on the forum now.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

This has a few good ones as well.
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
    B.t.w. this tread makes me feel nervous about writing on the forum now.

that sight is BRILLIANT - thanks - hahaha

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Man, who pissed in your cornflakes? It was a bit of good humor ribbing. Did you not notice all the emoticons (smileys and winks). Pinside is getting way too serious and easily offended if that got you all riled up.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Evets:

-Steve

lol...good one.

#33 11 years ago

I also enjoy when members of the younger generation mangle old phrases. I've had students use the following: "Nip it in the butt" and "Don't take it for granite".

-Steve

#34 11 years ago

Me too.... I noticed a misspelling on the Welcome to Pinside FAQ page...

"Wat do the thumbs up and down buttons do?"

Of course we all know that it should read "What..."

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Evets:

I also enjoy when members of the younger generation mangle old phrases. I've had students use the following: "Nip it in the butt" and "Don't take it for granite".
    -Steve

I think that's a mute point.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Man, who pissed in your cornflakes? It was a bit of good humor ribbing. Did you not notice all the emoticons (smileys and winks). Pinside is getting way too serious and easily offended if that got you all riled up.

First of all, I don't eat cornflakes. Secondly, inflections and the Internet don't mix.

#37 11 years ago

"I think that's a mute point."

One can only hope.

-Steve

#38 11 years ago

I am more interested in the spoken English then the written
    like in the midwest a bag is called a Sack
    or soda is called pop and even the sound of words change over the miles then the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialects_of_North_American_English

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spelling-police-typo-in-pinside-karma-info and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.